Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 3 x 10 . . . is it too much to ask for every gear to run perfectly?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

New bike, original set up was a little shonky, rubbing on front mech in big ring, took it for its two week tune up, okay working better not perfect, but nicely enough, . . now having ragged it around for another couple of weeks, back to square one, rubbing on mech in highest gear on middle and big, and on big constantly rubbing . . .

I’m assuming its just not been properly set up yet?

Does the added cog make a difference to the running over say a 9 speed set up at all?

i don’t need all these gears anyway, i’m tempted to drop down to 1 x 10 already and I’ve only had it 5 weeks

wwaswas

par for the course really.

it’s ‘a bad thing’ to run the chain at funny angles like big/big little/little anyway.

DickBarton

Yes…too much bend in chain using the extremes…and I include middle big and middle small in extremes…chain is bent too much in those gears.

Also new bikes will have cable stretch which will also cause issues.

I think 10 spd uses same spacing/width as 9 spd but the cogs are thinner so probably more susceptible to issues.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Any suggestions on the best configuration for 1 x 10 on a racey 29er?

Brake-neck
    Free Member

As usual that’s gonna depend on where you do the majority of your riding.

suffolk
    Free Member

Use the barrel adjusters on your shifters to adjust for cable stretch and fine tuning. Turning anti-clockwise will increase cable tension and should help you remove or reduce mech-chain contact in the big ring/small sprocket combos. Get the bike in a stand and have a learn, it’s quite straightforward. Count the turns so you can reset if required. Cables shouldn’t stretch as quickly after initial period.

In my experience you can only get really sweet running with no mech contact across 90 % of the range anyway, you can get either end in at the expense of the other or go for the middle and miss the highest and lowest.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I could never get 3 x 10 to run without catching even in sensible gear combo’s.

Why not 2 x 10? That’s what I’m now on and its fantastic

OCB
    Free Member

I’ve almost managed to get my 3 x 10 working 100%, tho’ mine is set up with full length outers so the, albeit minimal, extra friction that adds won’t help.

I’ve found 3 x 10 has been far more ‘sensitive’ to its set up than 3 x 9 ever was, with only minimal amounts of adjustment making the difference between working and failing.

I’ve settled for the lower / middle working well at the expense of just a tiny bit of rubbing on the outer/smallest couple on the cassette. I also now tend to fractionally overshift on the lever too, just a slight bit more pressure, on it for 1/2 a second longer; this does seem to have helped (even if only because I’m now shifting ‘properly’, rather than my previous sloppy shifting 😉 ).

njee20
    Free Member

Any suggestions on the best configuration for 1 x 10 on a racey 29er?

34t ring and 11-36 block is what most of the racey folk I know are running on 29ers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘3 x 10 . . . is it too much to ask for every gear to run perfectly?’ is closed to new replies.