Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 3 weeks ’til I move to Oz
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

I gots butterflies.

Riding looks amazing! Perth here we come!!!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member
    Marmoset
    Free Member

You lucky bastard! That’s all I can say, where you’ll view rain as a refreshing change and never have to clean your bike (although make sure it’s spotless before you take it in first time)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aphex_2k
    Free Member

Thats why I have the butterflies. To feed the spiders!

Nah, not fussed. Spiders, snakes. Lizards. Box stingers. Shark. Rip tides. Australia’s mentally ill population. Someone’s gotta do it.

(I’m going over as a nurse btw)

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Marmo – my bike’s staying here. Been given permission by the treasurer to purchase a new 1k hardtail for “commuting and weekend warrioring” purposes.

Working here: http://www.fhhs.health.wa.gov.au/

There’s a bike shop opposite work. A Wagamamas up the road, and a 5 minute walk the the harbour.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Nice, I like Freo….How long are you intending to stay?

alpin
    Free Member

lucky git.

enjoy.

jfeb
    Free Member

Perth…v..e..r..y.. r..e..l..a….x….e…..d……

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

I’m moving to Perth in around 5 weeks too, all very exciting despite the numerous stingy bitey things.

Have you lined up a bike in Perth? I have a mate who’s from Perth but isn’t living there right now warned me off making any big purchases over there as it was expensive. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Cheers, Dave

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Staying for a year. Have mates in Freo and met some ex-pats from where I live that are bikers and are gonna show me the trails.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Dave,

Yeah bike kit is pricey over there. Very little in the way of second hand spares too, and what is around is at a premium. I’ve been told to take bits and sell em there!

You could always buy from wiggle. They do free delivery and discount the bike so that even if they add on 10% import tax, it’s still the same price as it was in UK. I’m looking into that tbh but there’s quite a good XC focus there and most bike shops do decent XC bikes. What price remains to be seen.

Drop me a line when you’re there. Who knows, having 2 of us walk into a shop wanting bikes and helmets might give us a bit of buying power!

alpin
    Free Member

there is a walking trail, the Bibbulmum Trail, that encompasses much of the south west. there is now a cycle trail running roughly alongside, the Mnada Biddi Trail. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munda_Biddi_Trail.

long distance ride, anyone?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah that goes through Jarrahdale, which I’ve been told has xc and dh stuff.

Most of the surface they call “pea gravel”. Slippy, loose and slidey. Exactly how I love my trails!

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

wiggle ship to Oz for free? Interesting…

I’m planning on taking my bikes at the moment, all depends on how helpful work are with shipping. I’ll give you a shout when I’m there though and maybe tag along when you get shown the trails?..

JDB
    Free Member

Far better off buying a bike here and taking it over with you. Bikes in Aus are rather expensive compared to here. When I was living there it was far cheaper to buy from UK/US and pay massive shipping charges than to buy locally. The cheapest online bike store was http://www.torpedo7.com.au but it looks like they are not stocking many complete bikes these days.
    Prepare to sweat a lot, in summer it will be hot, so very very hot.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

You know you have to clean your bike? I mean, to the nth degree?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

JDB – spent so much money sorting this all out, I don’t have the cash to buy here now. If I did I’d have spent my “settling in contingency fund”.

Would love to get a Trek 8000 shipped over though, or the 1k Boardman hardtail for that matter. Wiggle looks a good option though. There’s an option so you can pay in ozzie dollars or uk £’s when you order over there and free delivery. All seems quite clever.

Marmoset
    Free Member

My mate over there seems to buy all his stuff from the states, says he saves a bundle on it all.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Never thought of that. Jenson USA always comes up as quite cheap.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I read somewhere that CRC do free shipping to Oz for orders over $500. Not sure on the exchange rate but that should sort you out one of those new ragley things and all the bits to go on it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘3 weeks ’til I move to Oz’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts