Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 3 weeks hols – Reading Recommendations…
  • back2basics
    Free Member

as i’m going for a 3 week hols in around our home in scotland, i’m preparing for a number of days reading while awaiting the wind/midges/rain to clear up…..
    I’ve not been into books recently, keen on fantasy or scifi saga’s (i loved the classics, like Dune, etc) but prefer something with a quick pace,

I’ve missed out on the Game of Thrones whirlwind at the moment, should i get the books?

Thanks !

Dolcered

I’m currently reading Neverwhere: A novel by Neil Gaiman. Really enjoying it so far.

I gave up with the Game of thrones books after suffering the first one.

back2basics
    Free Member

cool ta.

ThePinkster

Sorry, for a sec there I thought you were going on holiday to Reading for 3 weeks and I was going to commiserate with you. 😉

nedrapier

The Hundred Year Old Man is well worth a read.

I wouldn’t fancy 3 weeks in Reading, though. Get out of town a bit; Caversham’s nice.

nedrapier

boom. pinkster beat me to it!

RustySpanner

Scotland?
    Got to be the late, great Iain M Banks, if you haven’t already.

I really wanted to like Game of Thrones, but the cliched place names and lazy stereotyping ruined it for me.

timidwheeler

Forever war. Good sci fi.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fascinating, odd, bonkers, but really rather brilliant with it.

mogrim

My suggestions:
    * The Culture stuff by Iain M. Banks
    * Peter F Hamilton – Night’s Dawn trilogy (light weight, entertaining big spaceships and exploding stars type SF).

Or work your way through any of the myriad “Top Bestest Greatest SF Books Ever” lists you can find on the web, for example this one or this one.

Northwind

Game of Thrones goes downhill very fast. I loved the first few mind.

Just re-reading Peter F Hamilton’s Night’s Dawn trilogy, it’s horribly written and paced but still, when it’s good it’s good, proper holiday blockbuster stuff. Should have been edited with an axe not a pen, though. Slow in places so might not hit your mark. Night’s Dawn is his best idea but the older Greg Mandel novels are written better.

And yeah, if you’ve not already, Iain M Banks, when he’s good he’s very very good.

Little bit off the recommendation but I just went through Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London in record time, it might appeal- a cross between a police procedural and a magic-n-monsters fantasy, in present day London. Loads of fun.

Straighter fantasy- Joe Abercrombie, master of the new fantasy subgenre made popular by George RR Martin, “fantasy in which absolutely everyone is a dick”. Absolutely revels in it, The Heroes is maybe the best example but The Blade Itself is probably the starting point. Maybe getting a wee bit repetitive/formulaic now.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

World War Z the book is very good. Nothing like the film and well worth a read.

boxfish
    Free Member

Reamde by Neal Stephenson is pretty good. It’s a fat one mind!

mogrim

Just re-reading Peter F Hamilton’s Night’s Dawn trilogy, it’s horribly written and paced but still, when it’s good it’s good, proper holiday blockbuster stuff. Should have been edited with an axe not a pen, though.

Very hard to argue with any of that! The rest of his stuff is similar, also ideal holiday reading, his latest (Great North Road) is a single book and unrelated to any of the others – could be a reasonable starting point if you don’t want to buy a whole trilogy.

mogrim

Reamde by Neal Stephenson is pretty good. It’s a fat one mind!

not read that one, it’s on the list – but have read and recommend Cryptonomicon and/or The Baroque Cycle, lacking in spaceships but still definitely SF.

back2basics
    Free Member

3 weeks in Reading. lol. i didnt realise it when i posted ! 🙄

thanks for all the info. i’ll trawl amazon now 🙂

Northwind

The first third of Reamde is bloody brilliant. Rest of it, I don’t know how good it is really but it felt pedestrian and a bit repetitive compared to the early bits. Still good. Welsh terrorism is a genuine fear!

There’s a bit in Snow Crash where he ends a chapter with “After that, it’s just a chase scene”, and it all happens off camera. About half of Reamde is the chase scene.

z1ppy

I have done (on audiobook) just what Mogrim suggest the top 100, surprising few I couldn’t bear to listen to (3 I can think of), and others that you assume you would know are very different (invisible man/war of the worlds). Good way to get introduction to ‘old’ authors not usually mentioned, and series to follow up on.

Again if you haven’t read the Ian M Banks, not because he’s just died, but because there ace books.
    Also Stephenson/hamilton (so many great ideas) are worth a read , though I’d add Dan Simmons, David Brin, Richard Morgan & Alastair Reynolds to that list

but I’m currently championing China Mieville, I avoided his stuff, as it looked a bit to “off-the wall” & well recommended (I can’t stand overhype stuff) but eventually took the plunge and now regret not having read his stuff earlier. Don’t be put off by the subject matter/descriptions, his writing is just so good

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh, and what about trying some Jasper Fforde?

Utterly batshitmental bonkers at times, and hilarious with it. The Big Over Easy is a great crime novel. Someone murders Humpty Dumpty, basically.

daftvader
    Free Member

Dresden files by Jim butcher
    Iron druid chronicles by kevin hearn
    Naming of the wind and the wise mans fear by patric rothsfuss

Hth

back2basics
    Free Member

ok , downloaded
    – Night’s Dawn trilogy
    – Iron Druid

looking at the weather, might be out riding in this “heatwave” coming ! 🙂

Cougar

Oh, and what about trying some Jasper Fforde?

I’m a recent convert to Fforde. Really enjoyed Shades of Grey, bizarre world where social class is defined by colour blindness and National Colour pipe in artificial colour for people.

CountZero

Neil Stevenson’s Diamond Age is excellent, as are Charles Stross’ various books. He writes a bunch of different styles, but they’re all hugely enjoyable. Halting State is set in a completely devolved Scotland, and is a high-tech police proceedural, there are others which are a Lovecraft/James Bond crossover…
    Kate Griffin’s Urban Magic series, starting with A Madness Of Angelsis also really very good indeed, great characters, and very gritty, too. She’s been brought up in London,and uses the hidden parts of the city to great effect.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘3 weeks hols – Reading Recommendations…’ is closed to new replies.