Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 3 surfers who died in Cornwall.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Heard about this on the news earlier. Not good. Thoughts with family and friends etc. Anyone know any details of what happened? Since it was a mix of adults and kids who got into trouble, guessing it might have been a surf lesson?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Probably an unrelated bunch of beginners caught out by an unexpectedly strong rip.
    I’ve seen it happen at other beaches and they probably all started panicking and paddling the wrong way. The rip current would be taking them out and the breaking waves would be pushing them back in.. And getting stuck right in the impact zone. All just a guess but really sad news.

yunki
    Free Member

guessing it might have been a surf lesson?

I immediately thought of my sister and her mates who regularly surf recreationally in any combination of 4-6 adults and up to 7 assorted kids..

They usually favour spots a bit further up the coast though, and I’ve not known them to surf with a fella in his 50s so I’m hoping everything is OK although I’ve not been able to contact them yet

jam-bo

I’d be suprised if it was a lesson.

Mawgan porth is a funny old beach. Never like surfing there, very rippy and hard to judge in my experience.

From the looks of the reports surf wasn’t anything big so I guess they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

househusband

How awful; from the BBC news item it would sound like some of the children may have lost parents.

Pigface
    Free Member

I’ve only surfed that place once and will echo Jam Bo very hard to read, didn’t encounter any rips though. Peak was moving around all the time.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

cornwall is suddenly full again for half term. i surfed this afternoon and the water temp has dropped a lot in the last few weeks, we have an autumn swell running so more power than the usual summer slop and there are no lifeguards… yet the beach and in the water as busy as summer with all manner of inappropriately thin for the temp wetsuits being seen and people in the water with surfboards, bodyboards or just splashing about who obviously don’t know what they are doing.

wallop

I’d be suprised if it was a lesson.

+1

You’d hope that instructors would be able to spot the rips…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Victims where in their 40’s and 50’s. Of course there may have been more people in the water the images from the bbc news showed quite a decent surf

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Just terrible. I agree they might not have fully known what they were doing out there.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m currently a few miles away from Mawgan on my jollies. Decided at the last minute to leave my board at home and kinda glad I did. Not experienced enough to read the surf too well and this has shit me up a touch.

wrightyson
    Free Member

We were there last year and my overriding memory was of continual warnings from the life guards re the rips on that beach. Something also to do with the heavy stream running in from land was also mentioned. We’re groms in my opinion who’ve been bodyboarding for 4 years now and I wouldn’t go in anywhere without lifeguard supervision on the beach. So very sad.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Early indications suggest one of the deceased was a rescue attempt.. so very tragic. I imagine if you were stood on the beach watching children drift off out to sea or in difficulty it would be impossible not to go wading in after them

njee20
    Free Member

My understanding of a rip is that they’re generally quiet narrow, so as long as you don’t try and swim directly against it, and either go with it out to sea, until it dissipates, or swim perpendicular to it, it’s quite easy to get out and swim back to shore.

Is this an over simplification? I’d expect surfers to be competent swimmers, do people just panic and instinctively try to swim straight back to the shore?

scruff
    Free Member

Big difference between surfers and folk with bodyboards.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@njee, correct that is the standard practice but it’s easy to get confused or simply not know

Yes very sad to hear that it may have been an attempted rescue.

wrightyson
    Free Member

^^and that comment^^ there is why we don’t go too far out and only go in with lifeguards on duty. Both kids are good swimmers in fact daughter is very good but I’m sure all you’ve learnt re survival training etc goes from your mind as the sea decides which way it’s taking you.

tinybits
    Free Member

do people just panic and instinctively try to swim straight back to the shore?

yes. It’s quite surprising for those not used to it quite how tiring going a very short distance in breaking surf / open water. If you’re feeling like you’re in trouble, it’s very easy to not understand why, and simply swim for the shore. 2 waves on the head and you’re out of breath. That’s only about 30 seconds….

cloudnine
    Free Member

My understanding of a rip is that they’re generally quiet narrow, so as long as you don’t try and swim directly against it, and either go with it out to sea, until it dissipates, or swim perpendicular to it, it’s quite easy to get out and swim back to shore.

Is this an over simplification? I’d expect surfers to be competent swimmers, do people just panic and instinctively try to swim straight back to the shore?

More or less… if there is decent size surf a situation can arise where they might not be able to get in or out. The rip may be pulling them out and the breaking waves can be pushing them back in. If they were off their boards and stuck swimming in a certain zone where waves are breaking just in front of them (the worst place to be) then it wouldnt take long for an inexperienced surfer to get in trouble.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I was surfing last year on the IoW and got caught in a rip. Not been in much for a few years for one reason or another, and it didn’t even occur to me that I was in one – I just appeared to be making little progress and was getting dumped on a lot.

It wasn’t until after I got so knackered that I turned tail and headed in and back to the car, when a lad stood on the cliff top said “nasty rip you were in there.”

Penny dropped, I felt like an utter fool.

To put it into perspective, I used to club swim, done most survival stuff, was a lifeguard for eight years and have swum 10km without stopping, as well as surfed with varying regularity for 20 years (although I’ll be the first to admit that I’m still a relative novice).

It’s easily done.

My heartfelt sympathies go to the families and friends left behind. 🙁

jam-bo

You’d be suprised. A lot of people would be screwed if they snapped their leash on a big day and had to swim in. I’ve had to do it once and it isn’t much fun. Swimming in cold, big surf is really really hard work.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Swimming in cold, big surf is really really hard work.

This.

First rule should you get into trouble – hang onto your floatation device.

tinybits
    Free Member

What pimpmaster says. Amazingly easy to get into trouble, and watching Laird Hamilton and all play around in Jaws (I actually know an English guy who enjoyed being in the jaws impact zone, stayed in for three hold dows and was still laughing – this guy is half fish!) make a lot of people think that the sea is an ‘easy’ place to be. A lot of fun absolutely, but easy? Never.
    So sad for all those affected, in particular the rescuer.

badnewz
    Free Member

Simply awful. I can’t imagine how heart-rending a scene it was on that beach.
    Sympathies go out to all involved.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Swimming in cold, big surf is really really hard work

Echo this again. Have done this a few times in some quite scary surf and it’s not something I ever want to do again.

Once you lose your board the sea becomes a very different place.

Thoughts are with those who’ve lost, really sad news.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

As others have said, it can be easy if other conditions are helpful. I got caught in one out of season when I was young, with some friends swimming at Perranporth, (was near total ocean novice)- friend struggled to escape the rip even in a kayak, he was screaming at me, neither of us knew to go directly out or sideways so I swam and swam against the rip for what seemed like 15 mins until I was all in, by which time I stopped and was sucked out further level with the headland and dipping under a lot.

Friends looked the size of ants running up and down waving their arms on the beach. I got really scared/panicked then really angry, then went calm, so many different emotions within seconds. As a last survival effort I somehow calmly rationalised – ‘I’m a strong cyclist’ – then rolled and back and just kicked my legs as hard as I could, started going southwards and escaped the current. Don’t remember ever being so relieved. Made some very strange, very loud involuntary sucking noises when finally washed up on the beach like a honking seal. F****g terrifying. Didn’t go back in the sea for years.

So sad for these people and their families. I know it’s a cliche but the ocean deserves utmost respect, we’re always landlubbers by our nature and there on its terms only.

russ295
    Free Member

I surfed the NE coast for years as well as a few others and rips are a real danger.
    My local break is a rip paddle out. You could be in the line up without paddling or getting your hair wet.
    People would follow suit and get into trouble on a regular basis myself included!
    Scary place when your well behind the line up and your not getting anywhere and your energy levels are dropping.
    Sad news.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

So it looks like we seem to think the surfers who perished simply got caught in a rip and didn’t know how to escape? I’m guessing they were trying to swim against it and drowned and probably later died of secondary drowning. Sad as in my experience with rips, they can be easy to get out of if you know how (swim to either side of it).

My mate talks about a spot in Pembrokeshire where he uses the rip to get out rather than having to paddle out, then simply surfs back in, sounds handy! Its a regular one by a pier wall.

Ive been in a few of them but never any huge ones. I was out one day when a young surfer was frantically paddling towards shore while I was on my way out and says to me “Ive been trying to paddle in for about half an hour”… duh 🙄 .. Swim to the side I told him. He was fine in the end.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

landlubbers

I always thought it was landlovers 😀 .

jambalaya
    Free Member

For reference a 1 meter high wave will have roughly about a metric ton of water coming at you / onto you. That’s a lot of force and can easily knock the wind out of you. Combine that with the mental element of being swept away from the beach when you are trying to go towards it and it can get distressing very quickly.

Edukator
    Free Member

First rule should you get into trouble – hang onto your floatation device.

Not always. I was windsurfing on the UK south coast when the wind dropped to nothing, just a big swell and strong current to worry about. I sat on the board and had plenty of time to calculate options. The current was taking me to a rocky shore with cliffs with a high risk of injury/death getting ashore then nowhere to go. The nearest beach was in view and at about 70° to the current. To get there I could either ditch the rig and paddle the board or swim. Swimming I can do 4km/h, paddling a board somewhat less. I swam and very quickly got past the critical point where I was no longer being carried towards rocks. I phoned the coast guard as soon as I got to the beach. They had already had a call out about my board which they kindly picked up – it had been washed up where I didn’t want to.

So I might have made it paddling the board, I was certain I could do it swimming.

fionap

I went to primary school in Cornwall and it was standard then for the RNLI or someone to come in every year and teach all the kids about rip currents and beach safety flags – I think this is still the case down there.

CountZero

Unhappily, I think this shows all too clearly how easy it is for inexperienced visitors to underestimate just how treacherous the sea can be. I know there are signs up warning of dangerous rips, but how many people a) read them, or b), really understand what is meant by a rip current?
    I see similar happening on the coast south of Weston-Super-Mare, where there’s a huge tidal range, second highest in the world, which uncovers extensive mud flats. Emmets visitors wander or drive out towards the sea, about a mile out, and get stuck; with the tide coming in at around 3-4 mph, things can get a bit desperate pretty quickly.
    There are big signs where you enter the beach, and along the beach, and the hovercraft still get called out 200+ times each year!
    The hovercraft were introduced after a five year old girl got stuck and drowned, before rescue teams could get out onto the mud.
    Visitors just don’t look at the signs, and even with beach rangers at Brean people ignore the dangers.
    It’s difficult to know what the answer is, sadly.
    TBH, it wasn’t until I read an article in the Western Daily Press which described what happens, and that a ‘rip tide’ is actually a misnomer, that I sort of understood, along with what’s written above.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just seen the RNLI footage on c4 news. The sea looked very messy indeed and the rib was taking off big time as it made its way out.

CountZero

Oddly enough, with reference to my comments about people at Burnham, Berrow and Brean ignoring the signs warning about soft sand and mud, danger of sinking, this photo was in today’s Western Daily Press:

🙄

The 22-year old driver escaped unharmed after trying to drive across the mud flats, and failed to push the car out!
    This was Saturday, and AFAIK it’s still there.
    You just can’t legislate against stupidity.

mikertroid
    Free Member

What Pimpmaster said +1

I’ve been surfing for 20+ years (sadly my skills don’t reflect that!) and only the other day found myself in a rip on a very dangerous beach; it didn’t occur to me until we got out that’s what it was. It’s a beach I’ve never surfed before.

I use them regularly to get out the back on some beaches; local knowledge is invaluable when surfing.

A river flowing in will intensify rip currents too.

Thoughts are with friends and family of the deceased at this time.

cloudnine
    Free Member

SLSGB have been asked by Torbay SLSC to release the following statement in regards to yesterdays tragic events;

Brendon Prince, Chairman Torbay Surf Life Saving Club, with a friend Jon Harry, was one of the first on the scene of the tragedy at Mawgan Porth, near Newquay, yesterday which claimed three lives.
    Brendon and Jon were assessing the beach before considering going surfing when they were alerted to people being in danger. As they entered the water the two sons of one of the victims were escaping the surf so Brendon and Jon immediately went with other members of the public to assist their father. The two rescuers were able to pull the man to the beach and immediately returned with others for a woman who was around 40 metres on from the first casualty. On reaching the beach the two were able to get the attention of a doctor who assisted with CPR on the woman, whilst Brendon performed CPR on the man.
    When it became apparent that the two were not connected Brendon alerted the emergency services as they arrived to conduct an immediate search for a suspected other casualty. The emergency services located the third victim, a man, around half an hour later.
    All three casualties were wearing shortie wetsuits and no surf or body boards were attached which indicates they were swimming.
    Brendon today said ‘we are devastated at the loss of these three lives yesterday. It is the skills that I have learnt at Surf Life Saving that enabled me to rescue and attempt to resuscitate the victims.’ Brendon went on to appeal to the public to assess the dangers of the sea before entering. ‘lifeguards cannot be there all the time, in fact patrols are present at relatively short intervals, I ask everyone, assess the sea before you enter, ensure it is safe to proceed for you and your family’s capabilities’.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘3 surfers who died in Cornwall.’ is closed to new replies.