Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • 3 series touring or 4 series coupe
  • sbob
    Free Member

littlelordfauntleroy – Member

Sbob . so should we just scrap all cars that won’t do more than 40mpg then?

No, just yours. 🙂
    Or we could convert them to run off straw men. 😀

craigxxl
    Free Member

jairaj – Member
    Anybody driven the 2 series coupe? In terms of driving pleasure does it compete with its older brother the 4 series?

Currently thinking about replacing my Ibiza with something a bit faster and better handling. The 2 and 4 series look like good options.

When changing from the bag of sh1t Octavia to the current car I test drove the 2 series coupe as an M Sport 2.0 diesel. Handling and comfort were brilliant, a really enjoyable car to drive and noticeably better than the 3 or 4 series. In the end I went for the 3 series as more available used meant I could get a better equipped car for less. Not much between the 3 and 4 series expect 2 doors less and bigger prices.

Boot space isn’t too bad but you will struggle to get a bike inside and I think the rear seats are fixed.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@jairaj the 2 series is so ugly I won’t even stand next to one in case some of it rubs off 😉 If you want such a car just by a Honda Jazz.

Sorry mixed up Coupe version with stock box car.

richmtb

Sorry mixed up Coupe version with stock box car.

the 2 series tourer really is a horrible thing. Still if Porsche are making SUVs then I guess you can’t really have a go at BMW for wanting sell MPVs to badge snobs.

Its still less gopping than an X1

Toasty

I really wanted a 6 pot, so bought an older 325i. In retrospect I’m not too sure why I was so desperate for a 6 pot, it’s not very fast most of the time, costs lots of VED, drinks petrol (15mpg around town!) and seems to cost lots to insure.

“There’s no replacement for displacement” is rubbish, turbos clearly are a replacement these days.

That said, you should clearly get a new Mustang GT, 4 seats, holding their value ridiculously well, only slightly less boot than a 4 series, can almost get away with go faster stripes.

tenfoot

In retrospect I’m not too sure why I was so desperate for a 6 pot,

They do sound luvverly though.

br
    Free Member

4 series is bigger than the 3 series, I’m long legged just over 6′ and my son who’s just under 6′ is happy to sit behind me. Only 4 seats thou.

Ours has the split seats and you could get an MTB in, wheels off. Although my OH suggested if my bike would fit in so would my coffin…

Toasty

They do sound luvverly though.

Tragically the sound isolation is really good, I previously had a Cooper S which was like being inside a lawnmower.

The BMW is really quiet and smooth, I must admit I do like how smooth the straight 6 pulls compared to any 4 cylinders I’ve driven though. I also convinced myself that the lack of filters, turbos and gizmos would mean it would last forever.

sbob
    Free Member

Toasty – Member

“There’s no replacement for displacement” is rubbish

You obviously haven’t experienced enough displacement. 😈

Toasty

This is true, although I was initially demoing 350z/370z and Caymans, then suddenly my wife became pregnant and it became 3 Series and Mondeos 😐

I think it was the potential car I lost, which left me desperately seeking a 6-pot “dad” car 🙂 Probably why I mentioned a Mustang above or possibly a 911, the kings of 4 seater dad cars!

wrecker
    Free Member

Maybe if you are looking at Fiesta’s, but not in this sector. Apples and oranges. If you look at the range as a whole, it’s one of the smaller engines/outputs.

What is “this” sector? 3 series run from mondo prices all the way up and I’d bet that the vast majority of these cares are sold in 2L models. Mondeo ST is only 2.0l.
    A 2.0l car is a 2.0l car no matter who makes it or where it sits in the range. Most have around 180hp which is plenty.
    People can debadge if they like, but it’s a fact that a 2.0l is not a small engine neither is a 1.8 for that matter.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Test drive a 330e and you won’t want a petrol or diesel again!

I went from a 320d Touring to a 330e saloon and not missed the extra boot space at all.

The 330e comes with a new 2.0 petrol which is fantastic, then you add in electric boost to the equation and it’s so much nicer than diesel or petrol.

Round town electric makes you realise how awful diesel or petrol are.

On the open road power is instant, and sounds pretty reasonable for a 4 pot.

If you could get an electric 4 series I’d get that, lower and wider.

Toasty

Or get a preorder down on a Tesla Model 3, you love your 320d anyway 😛

geoffj

Test drive a 330e and you won’t want a petrol or diesel again!

I enquired and was told that the finances only really work for company car drivers – I’m not sure how much BS that was, but it was a pretty short conversation.

Or get a preorder down on a Tesla Model 3, you love your 320d anyway

Not a bad call that really.

legend
    Free Member

That said, you should clearly get a new Mustang GT, 4 seats

Saying a Mustang has 4 proper seats is pushing things a bit

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The 330e is slightly more than equivalent model, not sure if the government still contribute to cost of the car?

I’m now getting better mpg than my old 320d approx 55mpg overall, not bad for 6 second 0-60.

Of course you could wait until next year for the full electric 3 series

Toasty

I wouldn’t buy a 330e solely for the mpg, it’s not going to be that staggering:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/bmw/3-series-f30-2012/330e

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/bmw/3-series-f30-2012/320d-efficientdynamics

Not a bad call that really.

I think it’s the direction I’d go, it depends if you need to do crazy big miles in it.

The tech in them is amazing, the Model 3 really doesn’t sound hugely compromised, it just sounds like the Model S/X were subsidizing the project, hence the inflated prices. Autopilot!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Toasty – so 50mpg in a car that does 0-60 in 6 seconds isn’t good in your book?

Name me one other car that can !?

nickewen
    Free Member

FD – I take it the fuel consumption has got a lot better since when it was new?! You were reporting 20mpg (on the IC engine alone admittedly) a couple of months back

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Nick – it has, but only by me doing what it says you shouldn’t. You are supposed to use the sat Nav to intelligently make use of battery.

If you do that your fecked and get silly mpg if doing any reasonable distance. I now work on a rule that if I’m in built up slow traffic kick it in to electric, any out of town force it to combustion engine.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

sbob – Member
    Toasty – Member
    “There’s no replacement for displacement” is rubbish

You obviously haven’t experienced enough displacement

Displacement and Turbos is the way to do !

mikertroid
    Free Member

@Sbob

28 mpg on a ‘spirited’ day. 32 if I drive steadily. Yup, pretty good and far better than those Plug-in electrics that have a higher cradle-to-grave emissions amount. That is until we go fully nuclear.

My day-job will see me get through >50,000 litres per day so I can’t lose sleep over being 10mpg below so-called eco wagons. 8)

And to echo above: displacement plus a couple of turbos is the way forward.

angeldust
    Free Member

What is “this” sector? 3 series run from mondo prices all the way up and I’d bet that the vast majority of these cares are sold in 2L models. Mondeo ST is only 2.0l.
    A 2.0l car is a 2.0l car no matter who makes it or where it sits in the range. Most have around 180hp which is plenty.

Perspective. A 2L Mondeo is top or near top of the range (engine size, ignoring trim level). A 318d or 320d is under a 325, 330, 335, 340 etc (M3 if we include petrol models), so clearly near the bottom of the range. No one is saying that these ranges are parallel. Imaging telling a mate you just got a new Mondeo. Oh, really – what engine size? ‘2L’. Ooh, nice. Same situation with a 3 series? ‘320d’. Oh, an economical one them. Perspective.

People can debadge if they like, but it’s a fact that a 2.0l is not a small engine neither is a 1.8 for that matter.

Not a ‘fact’……in any way. I challenge you (within the context of this thread) to argue otherwise! Unless you believe only your perspective is valid (it isn’t by the way :roll:), there is just no winning that argument. Whether an engine is ‘small’ or not is entirely subjective in this sense. You could take the statistical mean engine capacity of every car on the road as a benchmark, but in the context of this discussion that is entirely irrelevant. To a Bently driver, a 2L engine is small. Try thinking outside of your own frame of reference, if you can.

In terms of what outputs you can get on a 3 series, the 318d and 320d are at the bottom of the range. Nothing at all wrong with them, but where they sit in that range is undeniable. Someone driving a M3 may well think a 1.8L is a small engine compared to their car, and from a subjective perspective that is difficult to argue against.

angeldust
    Free Member

PS when does the 318d get delivered? 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Perspective. A 2L Mondeo is top or near top of the range (engine size, ignoring trim level). A 318d or 320d is under a 325, 330, 335, 340 etc (M3 if we include petrol models), so clearly near the bottom of the range.

A 2.0l car is a 2.0l car no matter who makes it or where it sits in the range.

Try thinking outside of your own frame of reference, if you can.

What frame of reference? A 2.0L is not a small engine. Any normal person equates a ford 2.0 to any other 2.0. Same HP, same same same. That is an indisputable fact, please see the logic, if you can.

Regarding debadging, some self proclaimed “alphas” with latent issues are so insecure in the adequacy in their genitals that they need a 3 on the back of their car rather than a 2. There is no helping these people.

PS when does the 318d get delivered?

I don’t have one, nor one on order. I have a 320d (GT in lux spec which I’m very fond of since you ask) with the numbers on the back. I have luxury genitals. 😉

angeldust
    Free Member

A 2.0L is not a small engine.

See my post above. You have not countered the argument in any way, but I will indulge you and paste from from previous post:

Not a ‘fact’……in any way. I challenge you (within the context of this thread) to argue otherwise! Unless you believe only your perspective is valid (it isn’t by the way :roll:), there is just no winning that argument. Whether an engine is ‘small’ or not is entirely subjective in this sense. You could take the statistical mean engine capacity of every car on the road as a benchmark, but in the context of this discussion that is entirely irrelevant. To a Bently driver, a 2L engine is small. Try thinking outside of your own frame of reference, if you can

In terms of what outputs you can get on a 3 series, the 318d and 320d are at the bottom of the range. Nothing at all wrong with them, but where they sit in that range is undeniable. Someone driving a M3 may well think a 1.8L is a small engine compared to their car, and from a subjective perspective that is difficult to argue against.

Any normal person equates a ford 2.0 to any other 2.0.

In other news, the pope is Catholic, and bears poo in the woods. No one has claimed different, have they? What’s your point? Either you have misunderstood everything in my posts and this thread, or you are desperately looking for an angle where you are not entirely wrong. I will indulge you and paste from my previous post:

A 2L Mondeo is top or near top of the range (engine size, ignoring trim level). A 318d or 320d is under a 325, 330, 335, 340 etc (M3 if we include petrol models), so clearly near the bottom of the range. No one is saying that these ranges are parallel

I have a 320d

Genuine lol. It’s all falling into place….

wrecker
    Free Member

I think you are confusing yourself. Where a car is in a range is completely and utterly irrelevant.
    I really don’t know how to say its any clearer; a 2L is a 2L. Just because it sits at the bottom end of BMW, it doesn’t make it a small engine, regardless of your viewpoint or reference.

It’s all falling into place….

some self proclaimed “alphas” with latent issues are so insecure in the adequacy in their genitals that they need a 3 on the back of their car rather than a 2

It most certainly is…..

mikertroid
    Free Member

Hang on ladies, just going to put the kettle on…

Looking like classic STW here…

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

4 Coupe and screw those that talk midlife crisis.

angeldust
    Free Member

I honestly can’t explain it any better than in my above posts, and it’s pointless to paste them a 3rd time. If you can’t see how a different range of values determines the relative low and high point within those ranges, there is little point in labouring the point further.

Your responses smack of being defensive about having a (near to) bottom of the range 320d, and genuinely that’s not what I am getting at.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

318, 320, 330e all use a 2.0 engine 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

I feel quite the same. Repeating ourselves isn’t going to resolve this I don’t think. I’m sure we each think we’re right.
    If there is one thing I’m not defensive about, it’s my car. It’s a car FFS. I drive it, it gets me places. I like it and could not care less if anyone else does. I don’t post it on Facebook with #likeitsonrails11111 or some such shite.

angeldust
    Free Member

To be fair, I am a scientist that uses statistics (in particular related to dynamic ranges), and am inclined to think of unrelated ‘data sets’ in a way that people who don’t work in these areas may not understand/be familiar with. Might explain the disconnect here, partially at least. Hazard of the job when most of the people you communicate with come from a similar background.

Sounds condescending, but again, genuinely not meant to be.

angeldust
    Free Member

318, 320, 330e all use a 2.0 engine

Which is why I used ‘outputs’ rather than engine size in one of the previous posts :lol:.

wrecker
    Free Member

It would go some way to explaining it.
    From my end, the first BMW I had was an E36 318is Coupe. It had 125BHP, and was a pretty quick car in 1992. I’ve also had 330d and 325i coupes to 320 ED tourings since, so most of the spectrum. Now all 2L’s have 180BHP which is plenty of power (you’re in 328i E36 territory there), luxury in fact!
    Plus there is an extra <60HP if you look at remaps. That’s loads and loads and loads.

318, 320, 330e all use a 2.0 engine

So, finally can we agree that a 2.0L is not a small engine now? 😉

angeldust
    Free Member

So, finally can we agree that a 2.0L is not a small engine now?

Don’t push it 😉

iamtheresurrection

I’m seriously disappointed. I thought this thread had at least another hour in it…

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am in agreement, 2L petrol is not a small engine.

br
    Free Member

It may not be small, but based on the cars I’ve had it’s below my average

Toasty

Toasty – so 50mpg in a car that does 0-60 in 6 seconds isn’t good in your book?

Name me one other car that can !?

Not only did I name one, I did it in the same post, it’s just not available for 18 months 🙂 If I was being even more pedantic I’d have said a Caterham! 😉 On a more sensible note, a 330d would match the requirements too wouldn’t it?

I don’t recall saying it wasn’t impressive, I’m just highlighting the fact that the claimed mpg is around 3x what people get in the real world.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘3 series touring or 4 series coupe’ is closed to new replies.