Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • 3 series touring or 4 series coupe
  • geoffj

Car is due for a change.
    I *love* my 320d tourer (I really do 😛 )

BUT it’s time to grow a pair and ditch the diesel.

So I could get the same in petrol (320i) or a 4 series 420i coupe

Both Xdrive S or MSport spec

Whaddya think?
    </kryton57>

Kryton57

Hi! 😀

The 4 series is a stunning shape and deserves a big engine to enjoy IMO. Im saying this becuase there was a 430d msport in a hotel lobby i stayed at recently – it was stunning. A bit paper tiger otherwise.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I had one of the first 3 series coupe’s back in the early 1990’s – beautiful 2L straight six petrol. If you don’t need the estate get the 4 series coupe, its a lovely looking car.

geoffj

I do like the look of the 4 – there’s a bit of midlife crisis about it though 😆

legend
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    I do like the look of the 4 – there’s a bit of midlife crisis about it though

Especially when there’s a “20” after the 4 and an M badge 😉

geoffj

Especially when there’s a “20” after the 4 and an M badge

Debadged obvs! 😉

Kryton57

Mmm…

prawny

I’m planning on a 4 series gran coupe next. Tourer is a bit overkill for me, but I’d like a hatch and the 4 series is a hotty.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

X6.

Obviously.

If you’re going to go w******, you may as well go full w******.

😉

slackboy

I test drove a 320d and liked it.

I test drove a 320i and didn’t like.

petrol version just seemed sluggish.

I’d have a proper drive before decidin on petrol

thegreatape
    Free Member

Debadged obvs!

Debadging = this car has a small engine and the driver is ashamed of it – whatever anyone says to the contrary, that’s what it means 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Since when is a 2.0L a small engine? Especially a BMW one.
    For a lot of brands, 2L’s are one of the biggest they do.

geoffj

😐 I’m going to have to have test drive

bruk

Looked at both of these recently. 4 series Gran Coupe is lovely to look at and the hatch actual looks quite practical too. It is quite low and a mate had to walk away from getting one due to his dodgy back not coping. 3 series Touring also nice but doesn’t feel as nice inside oddly.

As with everyone else it needs a bigger engine though. The hottest 4 pot is probably the best one as the 6 sounds lovely but has a poorer mpg by quite a way.

Second hand an option to get that 335/340i?

My mid life crisis means getting a hot hatch though instead!

angeldust
    Free Member

Since when is a 2.0L a small engine? Especially a BMW one.
    For a lot of brands, 2L’s are one of the biggest they do.

Maybe if you are looking at Fiesta’s, but not in this sector. Apples and oranges. If you look at the range as a whole, it’s one of the smaller engines/outputs. If you vain enough to be buying the car as a ego-wagen it does spoil the image to those that care, regardless of how good the car is in relative terms.

bensales
    Free Member

slackboy – Member
    I test drove a 320d and liked it.

petrol version just seemed sluggish.

I’d have a proper drive before decidin on petrol

In my experience you tend to need to ‘size up’ by one engine when switching from diesel to petrol. Not because of the amount of power but to get a similar amount of torque. The 30i has a similar torque to the 20d. That’s what stops the engine from feeling ‘sluggish’. And you also need to remember to rev a petrol engine. Took me a while to get back into that habit after spending so many years driving oil.

Although I’d never choose a BMW, the 4 series would get my vote as the better looking car.

tenfoot

We have a 120d and a 320i. The 320i does feel a bit sluggish, after the torque of the 120d, but when I remember to change up later, the car feels sprightly enough. The engines are similar in overall power, they just deliver it differently.

(Neither car feels underpowered despite only having a 2L engine)

bikebouy
    Free Member

You’ll find it hard to get any better a car than one of these. Lauded now for its lithe handling and grunty engine, build quality in old skool robust.

E46 330i sport touring.

mmannerr

Note that 320i defaults to ‘Comfort” mode, if you click mode to “Sport” it is no longer that sluggish. Diesels seem to be less affected by these settings as you’ll get plenty of torque in all 2 liter diesel engines.
    There is setting for auto gear box too and even optional “Sport+” mode too 🙂
    That said, my 3yo F31 is a bit noisy (tyre noise mostly) and there are couple of squeaks from the trim and sport seats are bit annoying to adjust without electrics (especially the height).

mikertroid
    Free Member

@BB,

The newer E91 is better built than the E46 by all accounts.
    I’ve got the 325i (N53 3.0L) and it’s been great. Pretty economical (28-33mpg right foot dependent) and is reasonably rapid. Will get it deresteicted via Mosselman later this year to 330i output if all things go well.

Bikes sit happily on a towbar mounted rack and boards either inside or on rack depending on the surf mission details!

richmtb

My brother has a 440i.

Its lovely, its not earth shatteringly quick, but fast enough and just very nicely put together and that straight six sounds amazing! Its also surprisingly frugal regularly getting high 30’s mpg and even over 40 when bimbling along on the motorway. He got a 520d courtesy car the other day and was surprised by how well in compared in terms of fuel economy

[/quote]Debadging = this car has a small engine and the driver is ashamed of it – whatever anyone says to the contrary, that’s what it means

His is debadged

br
    Free Member

I do like the look of the 4 – there’s a bit of midlife crisis about it though

Yep, this is ours:

I’m 52, had loads of motorbikes, on my second wife and live nowhere near the sea (so speedboat out of the question) – a flash car was the only option 🙂

315 bhp, 0-60 in 4.7 seconds, xDrive, auto and currently at 36mpg (slowly getting better, still only 3k miles though).

downshep

Makes sense to debadge a larger engined model to stop other people being judgmental or driving like a-holes near your pride and joy.

sbob
    Free Member

Pretty economical (28-33mpg right foot dependent)

😯

That’s woeful.

Kryton57

Not for a 4 litre 300bhp car its not.

br
    Free Member

Not for a 4 litre 300bhp car its not. [/I]

It’s a 3 litre engine.

The same that my 435d is also a 3 litre.

sbob
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

Not for a 4 litre 300bhp car its not.

Firstly, I was commenting on mikertroid’s 325 touring.

Secondly, when you are talking about using up a finite resource in a terribly damaging way, 28mpg is woeful and convincing yourself it isn’t is foolish and selfish. 🙂

geoffj

You’ll find it hard to get any better a car than one of these. Lauded now for its lithe handling and grunty engine, build quality in old skool robust.

E46 330i sport touring.

It’s owning one of those for 12 months which started all this 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

The newer E91 is better built than the E46 by all accounts.

I’d agree with that having owned them both.

Personally, I’d stick with a 3 series of some sort because I’m not sold on how the 4 series looks.

My big issue is the lack of straight six engines in the new range – the engine in our 330 was brilliant.

The latest six pot diesels though are very good and seriously quick, if lacking in the noise department.

Kryton57

if lacking in the noise department.

Although they do pipe a nice noise through the stereo as a replacement.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Although they do pipe a nice noise through the stereo as a replacement.

I meant that they still sound like a Massey Ferguson on start up / low revs. The growl under acceleration isn’t too bad though.

maxtorque

3 series in saloon format is better looking than 4 series imo. It’s all to do with how the higher rear roof line makes it look more nose down and aggressive, and better highlights the rear arch/tyre interface!

mmannerr

Debadging, this is the first car which I have debadged and I don’t think it fools anyone as it has single exhaust pipe and 16″ wheels. 😀
    Reason for debadging was that being OCD I couldn’t cope with 320i and xdrive badge being so annoingly positioned on the trunk – they are not centered vertically or horisontally and letter styling is completely different. It is zero cost option from factory anyway so it is quite common not to have them.

geoffj

Reason for debadging was that being OCD I couldn’t cope with 320i and xdrive badge being so annoyingly positioned on the trunk – they are not centered vertically or horizontally and letter styling is completely different. It is zero cost option from factory anyway so it is quite common not to have them.

+1

gonefishin
    Free Member

The new 330 is a 2l 4 pot engine. If you are any the six pot you’ll need to spring for the 340.

Either way the auto box is very smooth.

jairaj

Anybody driven the 2 series coupe? In terms of driving pleasure does it compete with its older brother the 4 series?

Currently thinking about replacing my Ibiza with something a bit faster and better handling. The 2 and 4 series look like good options.

Don’t really need bags of power, 8 sec 0-60 is more than enough (I think??) mostly after a fun and agile car that can squeeze a couple adults in the back for a short journey.

allfankledup

Which one is best for carrying a bike ? or isn’t that a use case ?

Snob . so should we just scrapp all cars that won’t do more than 40mph then ?

jairaj

Don’t need car to carry bikes have a van for that. Just want something that can be used everyday for short journeys and the occasional longer trip and is fun to drive and looks good.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Then this..

Don’t worry about debating whether it’s good or not, we’ve been there and done that..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘3 series touring or 4 series coupe’ is closed to new replies.