Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 3 Series Touring or Golf
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Hi,

New car time – I have a budget of £10k plus my trade which is worth £2-£2.5k.

I’m starting a new job soon which will involve a commute of 10 miles each way on mainly country roads which is pointing me in the direction of a petrol. Like the idea of a bigger car for weekends away and ease of chucking stuff in the boot.

Looking at:

BMW 3 Series Touring (E91) 318i or 320i
    VW Golf MK6 1.4 TSI Match

Test driven both in their deisel variants and the golf is nicer inside with more toys but the BMW is a better drive. Golf is cheaper too.

Any advice or other good options? Thought about a Passat but they are a bit big for what I need! Don’t like the Octavia before anyone mentions that.

tonyd

I’d probably go for the 3 series touring of those two, but then I own one (10 year old 320d touring, 110k miles and still going strong).

No idea about other options I’m afraid, I don’t like to torture myself by looking at new cars!

BillMC

I have a 320D (E46) but next time round would get a petrol version. Great drive though and I’ve had a 9’1″ surfboard inside the car.

jam-bo

I’m starting a new job soon which will involve a commute of 10 miles each way on mainly country roads

if my commute was only 10 miles each way i’d be mostly riding my bike and buying something fast and stupid for the weekends.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m a Golf fan and it will go better in snow/ice than the rwd beamer. Given your choice of models I would have to say 320 bmw. That 6 cylinder BMW motor is a beauty. If you had a bigger engine Golf I’d be more tempted to take that, it’s revealing you drove the bigger engine Golf. I have done a test drive in a 1.4tsi mk7 and although it went ok and I cannot pick faults on the drive to me it’s not a meaty enough engine for what is quite a heavy car.

Other thoughts; A 2.0 A3 5dr would be nice, bit less space than the Golf (and BMW of course) but IMO a better quality product than either. If Golf space is enough you might look at a newer/nice model BMW 1 series

alanf
    Free Member

The 320i will be a straight 6 with the 318i a 4 pot.
    The 6 will be much nicer.
    The sports suspension is great on the BMW but don’t get massive alloys as they will make the ride harsh.
    I suppose the choice of golf/BMW will come down to whether you prefer to have all the toys or prefer the drive.
    Both will be great cars.

maxtorque

It always amuses me that people still say “oh yeah, BMW’s crap in snow”!

So, for maybe 1 or possibly 2 days every 3 years, you’d drive a car that is compromised to perform worse for the other ~1000 days driving??

If you are worried about driving a rwd car in snow/ice i suggest spending £30 on some snow socks, and better still, get some proper driving tuition, which will help you drive safely, economically and smoothly for all those 1000days, not just the 2 snowy ones!!

nickewen
    Free Member

An E91 320i or 318i will both be 4 pots.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@maxtorque – I’ve done quite a few driving days, rally, track and off road. I also lived on a very steep un-adopted road out of which my neighbours with Merc and BMWs couldn’t drive up. I also take my cars to the Alps a couple of times each winter. That’s why I post what I did and why I bought a Quattro.

alanf
    Free Member

Nickewen – Correct, they are both 4 pots – get the 325i then.

jambalaya
    Free Member

An E91 320i or 318i will both be 4 pots.

@nickewen
    – thanks. OP this changes my view a lot, a 6 cycl bmw is a thing of joy, the 4 pot is more middle of the road. Can’t you get a 2l Golf ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@alanf – LOL. It’s a slippery slope … 330 next

nickewen
    Free Member

The 1.4Tsi comes in a couple of maps. I drove a mates Golf with this engine and was well impressed. Made a nice little rasp from the twin exhaust too.

Tough choice between those 2 cars. The BMW will be dynamically more rewarding to drive and the 167bhp 320i hits 60 in 8s with a manual box which is decent for a 2.0 lump.

On the snow front.. I bought a set of winter boots for the Beemer last winter and it was a waste of time. Never snowed once. I will put them on each winter now I have them but in hindsight would have been better off just sticking some snow socks in the boot and saving some money.

tonyd

if my commute was only 10 miles each way i’d be mostly riding my bike

+1.

Agreed also about the usual crap in snow comments. In the 7 years I’ve owned mine I’ve not had any issue driving it in the snow without snow socks or chains. They’re not as easy to drive as a front wheel drive in the snow but they’re not impossible by any stretch. It’s not like we live in Alaska.

alanf
    Free Member

Why stop at a 330 – 335 FTW!
    The 6 cylinders are great motors though, but the 320i 4 pot sounds pretty decent.
    I think you will be needing to test drive them…

nickewen
    Free Member

Slippery slope indeed…

Of that age 3 series the 330i is the one to have over the 325i…

I have a 325i and it shares the same lump as the 330i. 2996cc N53 engine. Only difference being a 3 stage intake. You have 218bhp vs 272 bhp and only a small difference in mpg.

The 325i starts feeling a bit ‘flat’ after a while as it is ‘de-tuned’. I would rather it had a 2.5l that was at its max.

Problem is there are shitloads of 325i’s kicking around and relatively few 330i’s. In manual they are rarer than rocking horse droppings.

Yak

if my commute was only 10 miles each way i’d be mostly riding my bike

this.

2k on a lovely road bike then 8k on a weekend car/van/ or the 2 you are looking at, just a touch older/more miles.

nickewen
    Free Member

Additionally the 325i and 330i have direct injection which makes them sound ‘dieselly’ at tick-over.. Still sings at 7000rpm like!

Not sure if the 320i has direct injection. I can’t find an answer quickly on Google.

Direct injection has pro’s and cons – it gives greater mpg and performance but as above is noisy. Also people have problems with high pressure fuel pumps. Worth looking into injection method on the 320i

allthegear
    Free Member

Given STW’s love of all things Skoda, how about a Fabia VRS Estate? You get the 180PS version of the 1.4TSI in the Golf, not the paltry 140PS one and you get more load carrying capacity than the BMW 3 Series Touring. Yes, really.

Oh – and the 7 speed DSG is amazing on that car.

Some of the older engines (model CAVE) had oil usage issues – make sure to get a CTHE one.

Rachel

MRanger156
    Free Member

There is no shower at my new work (yet) so I’ll be driving most of the time.

The 2.0 Golf take it into the GTI range which are very expensive, you can get a 160BHP 1.4TSI but this isnt the most reliable engine from what I’ve read.

330i sound nice but insurance and tax wont be cheap.

peterfile
    Free Member

I looked at a couple of E91 335i. Lovely engine, but a bit like a North Korean labour camp compared to being in a 5.

So now looking at F10 535 😈

If you do decide on a 330, don’t drive a 335 first…

Yak

no shower? fairy nuff.

Whilst everyone is raving about the drive, bhp, noise etc of the 3 series, in the real world it isn’t that great imo. V small inside for weekend load-lugging. Feel small and cramped too. Not been in a golf for a while, but cars like civics pee all over the 3 series for proper kit lugging. I’m sure the golf is similar.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@MR – what about the 2l diesels ? I know you don’t need the fuel economy but the higher price you’ll pay upfront you should get back proportionately upon sale. I am old school and think a small hi revving engine isn’t a great choice in such a heavy car (in an Audi A1 or a Polo yes). As I said of the cars you propose I’d go for the BMW 320 (even though I now know it’s a 4 cyl)

MRanger156
    Free Member

Short journeys in modern deisels are apparently a no no plus the servicing will be more.

I’m swaying for the Golf as the E91 interior is about 20 years behind the Golfs IMO.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@MR our 2.7TDI did plenty of short journeys. Serving was reasonable just more oil changes. I like the Golf, I may well buy another myself but if the engine choice was only 1.4 I’d go for a large engined Audi A3 but perhaps your type of short journey is exactly what a 1.4TSI Golf was designed for (a mate (company car) had a mk6 1.4tsi, he liked the urge the car had but switched to an a3 2TDI and just got another a3)

nickewen
    Free Member

@MR Agree that the E91 interior is a bit dull, however if you find one with pro-nav and sports seats they are a lot better. Its all about spec on a Beemer – some have nothing, some are fully loaded. Maybe just see whats out there spec/mileage/service history wise and be open to the Golf or Beemer whichever one you find a better example of.

Sounds like the lump in both cars are not without issues.. But definitely checkout the VW/BMW forums before buying.

andyl
    Free Member

What about a 1 series with a decent engine?

Personally I would go with the Beemer. Dad has a sporty variant of the 320D. He upgraded from the 318D and the 180hp version of the engine is a cracker for a 2 litre and it drives lovely.

I used to have an old E30 325i touring which sounded incredible but was a bit scary when driven hard, especially in the wet.

I can imagine the current 325i would be a very addictive car to drive.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My thoughts…

The interior on the E9X BMWs isn’t all flashy with chrome stuff everywhere. Its for that reason why I absolutely love it. Kinda minimalist.

I get about 25mpg average out of my 330I but 40mpg on a long motorway run. Coupled with the auto box its a joy to drive.

The one thing I was worried about a bit was the space. Got 2 young kids and all the stuff that travels with them and coming from a mk2 Octavia vRS estate with its massive boot I thought we’d struggle sometimes but we really haven’t. We’ve got a roof box as well but that was always full on the Octavia for holidays etc and nothings changed. In the real world, a few litres difference makes no difference at all. Great car and the build quality is on another level to most other things I’ve driven…

nickewen
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack

@DBW

Has your 330i been in for the coil-pack recall? (assuming its the N53 lump) Mine has been in (previous owner) but still get problems now and then. Engine light and dropped cylinder on startup maybe once a month.. Some folk seem to have had all 6 injectors and plugs done with the coil recall as well but BMW seem reluctant on this one.

Ben_H

I’ve visited this sort of conundrum countless times since having kids and feeling like I need a bigger car. I’ve swung between mid-size hatchbacks and estates.

I’m currently in a Golf Mk5 R32, which is on paper the least suitable compromise of this sort of car! The boot is tiny (4WD gubbins) and the running costs look frightening compared to most of the options mentioned here.

But then you sit in the cabin, admiring the spec and touches like the milled alloy trim inserts – before firing up the 3.2 V6 lump. Few people ever need to “modify” this car as it sounds so good from the factory.

Yes, its fuel economy is rubbish – but hardly worse than the 8P S3 I had before. VED is 500 quid too, but my insurance is 212 for the year! Boot capacity of a mere 285 litres has been offset by kids not needing so much gear and using a roof box.

The best thing is that I got this car when I was shopping for a more “sensible” MK6 1.4 TSI. The overall costs (crucially, dictated by depreciation) will be the same or less. This is also the cheapest car I’ve had in a decade, which has allowed me to spend more on bikes.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Like the idea of a bigger car

how about a Golf Estate?

timc
    Free Member

If you looking at golfs, any reason you havent cosidered a 1 series? 123d / 125/130i price range 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Will you actually benefit from better handling?

Thought about a Passat but they are a bit big for what I need!

Generally speaking, with the bigger class of car (Mondeo, Passat etc) you get more expensive build and refinement. And the cars are often cheaper because peopel are afraid of big cars. I think you get more for your money.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

IMO it boils down to whether you like driving or its just something to get from A-B.

Mrs FD wont let me have a 2 seater sports car at the min as apparently we need a family car… The BMW 3 Series Touring I have is nearly as good as a proper sports car and ticks all the boxes for me.

The Golf just isn’t in the same league as a drivers car

dragon
    Free Member

Other thoughts; A 2.0 A3 5dr would be nice, bit less space than the Golf (and BMW of course) but IMO a better quality product than either.

Having had a 2L A3 S-line and a 2L Golf Match of almost identical age, I’d say the difference is negligible, but on balance I’d rather the Gold. Golf has a bit more usable space, is a better ride, and has a better thought out front cabin space. Some of the plastics are slightly better in the Audi, but a lot of the switch gear etc. is the same in both. Audi you are mostly paying for the badge IMO.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Had a Mk6 1.6Tdi DSG, which was a cracking commuter, now drive an E46 320d Touring.

Beemer more involving but less relaxing, but it easily carry all my bike/boards etc around. In fairness the golf did too….

Next car will either be a 1.4TSI Golf or 330/335i Touring…..

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mike – that’s quite a spread 1.4TSI to 330 – rationale ?

molgrips
    Free Member

IMO it boils down to whether you like driving fast or its just something to get from A-B.

Fixed. You can enjoy relaxed driving, you know. Doesn’t have to be high speed. At normal speeds a Golf will handle just fine.

geoffj

My e46 330i is fantastic. All that talk about rwd and 50/50 weight distribution does seem to make a difference. The 260+ bhp adds to the fun.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The 50/50 distribution is just marketing rubbish, there are plenty of sports cars that drive beautifully that are not 50/50, its more about sorting the chassis properly which BMW are very good at. VAG appear not to be able to do it. Hence why the A3 uses the brakes automatically to make it feel like it can go round corners well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘3 Series Touring or Golf’ is closed to new replies.