Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 3 Serieds Gran Tourismo vs Touring
  • Kryton57

…what’s it like for getting a bike in the back, anyone have one?

Jakester
    Free Member

No, but I followed one into work this morning, and although it’s not quite as gopping as the 5-series GT, it still made me vomit a little in my mouth each time I saw the rear end.

Go with the touring, if only to spare the rest of us…

isto
    Free Member

GT is the most fugly car I have seen in a long time…..how it ever managed to make it into production I don’t know. Not sure what the touring looks like but I am pretty sure it can’t look any worse.

hooli

My touring fits a xl road bike with seats down, both wheels on. XL 29er MTB needs the front wheel off to fit in. Could probably squeeze it in if I really tried but no big deal to whip the wheel off as it goes in.

I had a GT while mine was in for a service, not pretty but the 3 litre diesel 7 speed automatic was absolutely awesome to drive. Feels like it is just gliding along while pushing you back into your seat with the torque. Didn’t try getting a bike in.

There were some cracking lease deals on the GT a while back too, I guess because they are a bit marmite/ugly depending on your viewpoint.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I quite liked the 5 GT when it came out but my god, the 3 GT is absolutely gopping.

I know this doesn’t help whether you can fit a bike in one OP.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If the GT is the car you want buy a bike bag and put the bike in front wheel off. You should try this out on one in the showroom first though.

As for looks it’s better than many other recent models from BMW

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cant comment on the GT, but I have an Estate and 2 bikes go in fine with the front wheel off.

Estate comes with folding rear seats, does the GT?

I’m going from an estate to saloon soon though as tend to put the bikes on the roof anyhow.

Also a new 3 series is being released in 2018

shifter
    Free Member

I have a 5GT and it’s great. It being a 5 series with a hatch, it takes bikes. I looked at the 3GT and although the boot’s big I thought the front was a bit cramped.
    I like the looks, that those looks might make shallow people bilious makes me chuckle.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If it helps every BMW GT comes with a free eye test.

aP
    Free Member

I thought you meant one of those new BMW Zafiras. Very strange looking.

stumpy01

I have no idea how easy it would be to get a bike in the back of either, although my bro-in-law has got a 3-series touring & the boot is pretty small.
    We once managed to squeeze a 9-pack of bog roll in, but only just. If there’d have been a special offer on 12-packs we probably would have had to put the seats down.

Regarding the ‘gopping’ comments….is it really that bad?
    I’ve seen quite a lot on the road & while it’s not a beauty; it looks no worse than most other modern mid-sized hatch backs the market…

Gopping? Really?

The boot looks quite large but has quite a high, awkward lip from the look of it:

Kryton57

Cant comment on the GT, but I have an Estate and 2 bikes go in fine with the front wheel off.

It never ceases to amaze me how little a differential there is between a 3 & 1 series – this is the same for my 120d.

The pic above is what I’ve seen – a mondeo like hatch that I was hoping would swallow a bike. Personally I don’t mind the looks of the 3 GT at all, but I’ve decided I want a “wafting” car next year. I recognise there’s a new model next year hence starting to consider what I want to trade to now.

However, with roof rack, 2xThule carriers and a roofbox in the garage I’m wondering if I may as well keep the 1er which is of course the cheapest option.

somouk
    Free Member

The GT cars are based on the next size up cars from what I have read so the 3 GT is actually a 5 series and the 5 GT is a 7 series chassis so there will be more load room than the touring versions but not as much height to the load bay.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘3 Serieds Gran Tourismo vs Touring’ is closed to new replies.