Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 3 routes in Aviemore, any improvements?
  • allyharp

Going up this weekend for 3 days riding, so have 3 routes planned and wondering if there are any bits to add into them (or any completely different routes to recommend)

Mostly from Kenny Wilson's book or Bike Scotland: Trails guide (little black book)

1. The Ryvoan Pass (little black book)
    Out on the Ryvoan, along small roads before Loch Garten along to the start of An Slugan, taking in the Badaguish trails at the end. Pretty much the "big ride" from here

2. Inshriach Forest (Kenny Wilson)
    Exactly as Kenny's book says (lots of different places so I can't detail navigation here). Any parts of the forest particularly good?

3. Loch Einich (Kenny Wilson)
    Along Gleann Einich, as the book says. Have heard it's easy riding, easy navigation with great scenery. Would be good as a low pressure ride for when we have the train to catch.

All 3 routes offer the opportunity to spend time taking in Rothiemurchus. I know of good singletrack around Loch an Eilean and Loch Gamhna. Anything else not to be missed?

geoffj

Burma Road?

acorlett

Haven't done Ryvoan myself, but Inshriach is a belter – although not sure I've ever taken the same route through that forest twice! One of favourite routes up there is to link up Loch an Eilean with the Inshriach route using the singletrack/tracks from Loch Gamhna to Glen Feshie. Makes a nice 50-60ker that takes around 5 hours (for me).

From Kenny Wilson's book, I've also linked up the Glenmore, Loch Einich and Loch an Eilean routes – they all connect together nicely for a decent and not too tough 5-6 hour ride.

There's always the Carn Ban Mor ride from the black book, although don't expect to have much energy left afterwards.

I've been looking into doing a ride that looks like a good big mountain route, running past Ryvoan, SE over the shoulder of Bynack More, down into Glen Derry, then up the east side of Ben Macdui and back to the ski car park. Could be good, but snowfall might make the plateau impractical this time of year.

allyharp

I've fancied the Carn Ban Mor route for a while, but I know that neither of us are terribly fit at the moment and would also be a bit concerned about the weather and probability of snow at the top. Will hopefully give it a go in spring/summmer sometime. Same goes for the Burma Road really.

Sounds like Inshriach is the sort of place where you can take any combination of the paths on the map and still have have a great time – would that be right?

acorlett

Absolutely – you can't go wrong with Inshriach. It's really not too difficult a route to navigate – I got confused at the summit cairn of Creag Dubh (think that's correct) and took the left path rather than right, as Mr Wilson says. Keep right coming off the top and it's just fun all the way. Unforgettable riding.

BTW, let me know if you come across the view in the photograph from the book. I swore I got the route right the second time, but never came across that view!

Burma Road is good, too, and not too tough when done Kenny's way, anti-clockwise. Definitely one for when you fancy some scenery rather than interesting riding, though.

flyingfox
    Free Member

We were up there at the weekend. We went up the trail next to the road from Aviemore, round Loch Morlich, up the road to Rothiemurchus Lodge and then turned right immediately to Lairig Ghru. Follow boggy path (hope it's quite cold so you can ride over the top in the ice) and take a right when you can't go any further. Magical descent and then you can go up to Loch Einich after that too and round Loch an Eilein etc. I've been up there 3 times in 2 weeks, it's getting stupid.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I did most of the Ryvoan pass route you describe with Kenny himself (he destroyed us on a fully rigid singlespeed, which was nice). I did Ryvoan Pass before this, and it was magnificent but you're exposed so pick your day. Make sure you DESCEND to Glenmore, don't go up from Glenmore, it will be no fun at all.

coogan
    Free Member

This is an awesome descent, but I can't remember the name 😳

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Coogan, that's Carn Ban Mor. Fantastic, and will have some snow on it now.

Allyharp – give the guys at Bothy Bikes a call. They will give you some top tips and let you know what conditions are like

missinglink
    Free Member

creag dubh trails pretty mingin just now so best avoided in the winter or they just get trashed! if your planning any of the higher routes then make sure you take some warm clothes otherwise it ain't gonna be too pleasant for you….

devs
    Free Member

BTW, let me know if you come across the view in the photograph from the book. I swore I got the route right the second time, but never came across that view!

That pic is of the trail which ends at Corarnstilmore. You have to travel further up GlenFeshie and then double back to do it. It's a belter.

We were at Inshriach yesterday, if you know the trails there are some absolute peaches even at this time of year. The Kenny Wilson route through there is not a good one though!

Flyingfox were you with us over the weekend in Aviemore? Sounds like the route we did. I didn't realise so many of the crowd I was with posted here. I was the bigger 118 twin!

Swayndo
    Free Member

I don't think flyingfox was one of us DeVs … unless it was Helen!

druidh
    Free Member

The Ryvoan/Nethy Bridge/Slugain route is grand, but do it clockwise. Nothing technical on it, unless you divert through Badaguish, but lovely scenery and a chance of a bar meal at Nethy Bridge. Don't expect the wee corner shop to be open – it closes for lunch (durr….)

Loch Einich is a nice short run but there are a couple of (potentially) sizeable rivers to ford which could be (a) deep and (b) bloody cold at this time of year.

You can join up Loch Gamhna to Inshriach via Feshie Bridge and you'll find lots of little tracks on the way.

bri-72

She's a fox right enough.

There's a nice ST descent from top of Burma rd. Might not be in books but just follow the deer tracks from the cairn to descend back in Aviemore direction.

Swayndo
    Free Member

What we did last weekend was:

Friday night … night ride around the Badaguish XC course (if you find a rear light, give's a shout).

Saturday … start from Badaguish, do the last bit of the course before heading up over Sluggan and around to Forest Lodge, Ryvoan and Glenmore Cafe. Hot chocolate with brandy and stollen, then man it up the grass of the Hayfield and up to a really rooty traverse above the Gorms side of Loch Morlich (I've been doing this travers for years, but have never heard it named). Down to connect up to the track to Rothiemurchus Lodge then the (mostly) wet moorland trudge to the Lairig Ghru, then yahoo and back to Badaguish. We left at 1000 and got back at around 1515.

Sunday was DeVs wi the Captain's armband at Inshriach. Top cakes in the Inshriach Nursery afterwards. Seek it out.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Kenny Wilson? Good luck to you if you find his routes fun!

Only ridden Carn Ban Mor up there and it's the best thing I've ridden but may be snowy up top now.

allyharp

The Kenny Wilson route through [inshriach] is not a good one though!

Is it just the direction or does he miss out some good bits? Any improvements?

And you all say do the Ryvoan route clockwise? The books seem to suggest anticlockwise!

Follow boggy path [to Lairig Ghru] and take a right when you can't go any further. Magical descent and then you can go up to Loch Einich

Would that be the spot on this map where the doubletrack alongside the Allt Druidh turns singletrack? I had wondered if that was ridable…

druidh
    Free Member

It's a barely rideable rocky/boggy push from Rothiemurchus Lodge to that point, but worth it for the descent.

Oh – and nice name for a river.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Aye, do the Ryvoan Pass so you're dropping into Glenmore, not the other way round. Bit of a push for not much (unless you're coming back the same way).

Was I with you at the weekend? I thought I was with my wife but that beauty in the pink does look similar to me. No wonder the missus has been a bit weird with me recently.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘3 routes in Aviemore, any improvements?’ is closed to new replies.