Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • 3 points or speed awareness course?
  • davosaurusrex

Got caught doing 83mph on the dual carriageway (perfect conditions, light traffic in the middle of the day, I’m not even slightly remorseful).
    I have done a course before and thought it was a load of condescending nonsense but that was likely down to the trainers rather than the content. The course costs £85 and takes up half a day of holiday and the points come with a £100 fine. Was just going to take the points as I have a company car and an otherwise clean license. However I may go self employed later this so would need business class insurance. Anyone have experience of how much weighting this is likely to have on an insurance policy? I believe some companies ask you to disclose if you’ve done a speed awareness course in the last few years and then sting you anyway?
    Let the lecturing begin!

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

So, it’s OK to do nearly 20% over the speed limit?

davosaurusrex

Yes. Thanks for asking.

robowns
    Free Member

Yeah if you want to get there quicker its a no brainer.

TheFlyingOx

Ah, STW. Land of the professionally offended, home of the pious. You never disappoint.

To answer OP, I’ve got 3 pts for exactly the same speed. The police even complemented me on my driving, but over the limit is over the limit. If those points *have* affected my premium then I haven’t noticed. I have business mileage on my policy.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

philxx1975
    Free Member

Take the points…I was a culprit at the beginning of the year and it’s a complete bobbins money making scheme

What did slow me down was mpg and fuel saving

I learned a few things doing this but mainly at the speeds I drive now.

Nigh on impossible to get nicked speeding
    Driving slowly with a self centred cause in mind has way more effect than any get me out of it scheme ever would

Driving to save fuel means the speeds involved give you way more time and space to consider others

aracer
    Free Member

I took 3 points rather than the course*. Made no difference at all to my insurance premiums. That was a few years ago now, so things may have changed – hence I suggest doing what I did to check, get quotes for the insurance you’re looking at with and without the points, which will be far more informative than all the opinions on here.

* for any pious on here, it was 14% over the limit for which I felt no guilt at all given it was 18% under what the limit on that bit of road used to be, which was still perfectly safe.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

So it’s OK to do nearly 20% over the speed limit?

I’m guessing you’ve never been on a motorway then.. 🙄

jam-bo

If your not remorseful then you’ll regret those 3 points when you get another 3 and are up to 6.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You’ve already done a speed awareness course and it’s done nothing/you’ve learned nothing, so take the points big boy.

Stoner
    Free Member

I was under the impression you couldn’t take the course twice?

davosaurusrex

Was about 4 years ago, believe you can’t do it twice in 3 years. Think I’ll take the points and slow down a bit, ta all.

hanchurch
    Free Member

Just do the course because when you end up on 9 points down the line when it could have been 6 you’ll regret it!

davosaurusrex

I’m sure it’ll be offered again (as long as not too far over the limit) I believe it’s a nice little earner for a lot of Chief Constables.
    Not that I’ll be caught again seeing as how I’m really, really sorry about the baby robin’s faces and that.

finishthat
    Free Member

“83” dual carriageway – exactly where and what caught you ?

Not because of how it impacts your insurance – but those questions above relate to your motivation and attitude to this incident where you got caught.

Dual carriageways have laybys and junctions that are completely unlike motorways .
    Sure if it was some automated speed related fine then do whatever suits you ,
    otherwise please have a little think about how much of a hurry you are in.

harvey
    Free Member

3 points then unluckily get another 3, now 6 and cacking yourself you’ ll get another 3. no thanks, take the course every time. and it is condescending sh!te.
    though at 83 mph you might not get offered the choice

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Remember the course defers your 3 points for 3 years, so if you get caught again you,ll have those 3 points added anyway

DezB
    Free Member

83mph? what have you got, a Ferrari?

(I was told on here my car couldn’t be “slow” cos I was doing 43)

davosaurusrex

A Zafira. Same difference.

project
    Free Member

the points or course details go on your licence, and will weigh any quote for your own car insurance, failure to declare the course or points will invalidate your insurance if you have a claim.

jam-bo

The course doesn’t go on your licence and I’ve never been asked by an insurance company if I’ve been on one.

poly
    Free Member

And today’s award for made up internet facts goes to:

whatyadoinsucka – Member
    Remember the course defers your 3 points for 3 years, so if you get caught again you,ll have those 3 points added anyway

and

project – Member
    … course details go on your licence, and will weigh any quote for your own car insurance, failure to declare the course or points will invalidate your insurance if you have a claim.

courses are not recorded on your license (although they are stored on a database somewhere), and you only need to declare them if asked, AFAIK only the Admiral Group ask about courses; and the points aren’t sitting waiting to be added if you reoffend.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Actually it’s more of an earner for the Chief Constables to not offer the course fine you and dish out the points. If you do the course the fine you pay funds the course – the people running the course don’t do it for free.

br
    Free Member

Daft question, take the points.

Also I’ve done a couple of courses over the years and both were on a weekend.

aracer
    Free Member

Not really – the police make nothing from speeding fines, all the money goes to the treasury. However they do make money from the courses – they don’t cost that much to run.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Sounds like you may not be teachable on this one. Take the points and save the instructors time…

My course a few years back had some on the road advanced driving stuff and was interesting and a good refresher. Why do people think they never need or would benefit from updating or teaching about this sort of thing?

el_boufador

Round our way they do evening courses. That’s what I did when I got done, to avoid losing holiday.

Thought the course was good.

aracer
    Free Member

I expect I would. However I don’t think most of them include that – certainly when I’ve seen them discussed on here the suggestion seemed to be that it was very basic stuff. Why is it arrogant or an indication of being unteachable to think that you wouldn’t learn anything from being taught basic stuff in the HC when you already have a very decent knowledge of the contents of the HC?

jam-bo

I expect I would. However I don’t think most of them include that – certainly when I’ve seen them discussed on here the suggestion seemed to be that it was very basic stuff. Why is it arrogant or an indication of being unteachable to think that you wouldn’t learn anything from being taught basic stuff in the HC when you already have a very decent knowledge of the contents of the HC?

I dunno. The fact they got caught speeding. Again.

aracer
    Free Member

Who did?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

err….. aracer read the OP, and no ninja edits… 😉

Yes, as Jambo says… He did the course, got done again, and would rather take the points… And I didn’t say arrogant, mate, your words. No point in signing up if you aren’t interested.

aracer
    Free Member

The question is whether the course covered anything about the safety of driving above the speed limit on DCs, or whether the OP does follow all the guidance given on such courses. “arrogant” is just an interpretation of some people’s general attitudes when I’ve made similar comments on previous threads about not expecting to get anything out of such a course. FWIW like the OP I got done for speeding on a DC and always try to stick to lower speed limits (and follow other good driving practice).

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

OP. I have nothing to add other than you are history’s greatest monster.

iffoverload
    Free Member

finishthat – Member

“83” dual carriageway – exactly where and what caught you ?

Not because of how it impacts your insurance – but those questions above relate to your motivation and attitude to this incident where you got caught.

Dual carriageways have laybys and junctions that are completely unlike motorways .
    Sure if it was some automated speed related fine then do whatever suits you ,
    otherwise please have a little think about how much of a hurry you are in.

this needs repeating I think. I used to fly down some dual carriageway I thought I knew well on a bike in the days you could get away with it

turns out that after looking at those roads at a more reasonable speed they have a lot more hazzards than I was aware of and I have come to the conclusion that speed limits are generally well thought out by people who might know a thing or two about accident hotspots etc.

getting points sucks… but driver training can save lives 🙂

ps reminder on approx. stopping distances

60 mph 130 ft
    80 mph 230 ft

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I truly drive at pensioner speed done all my days on fast cars and bikes that I will ever need. However got nicked recently for 36mph in a 30, this was not your typical 30 zone it had fields on the left hand side and 2m fences (no gates drives exits nowt) on the other side. It was an unmarked car with a speed gun – he stopped me (I had could stop easily before his car) and informed me of my offence and I thought he was taking the piss! But not so. Got a fixed penalty/speed awareness offer which I declined and took the points. A week or so later I get a phone call from some git from speed awareness course asking why I choose the points? So I told the aforementioned git I earn a £1000 a day as a consultant and what would he do? He then started to lecture me on attitude at which point I put the phone down. Speeding kills and I don’t support it however sensible location policing needs to be enforced and yet scallies run around in tin can exhaust window tinted corsas? But they can launch a f**king police helicopter to track me while legally trail riding a motorcycle then land in front of us and check the size of the numberplate because there is **** all else illegal on the bike – rant over

iffoverload
    Free Member

agree on the crappy enforcement, so many **** on the road, seems odd.

the scenario you describe may have been a road with no footpath and some pedestrian traffic perhaps?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Raised footpath on estate side flat road still don’t get it – however I went mental with the police helicopter officers as they did not even understand or have access to a definitive map – didn’t stop then running full vehicle checks including tyre, helmet legality

jam-bo

I truly drive at pensioner speed

Most of the people on my course were pensioners…

Harry_the_Spider

I was under the impression you couldn’t take the course twice?

You can, but there has to be a three year gap. 😳

I’m a good boy now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘3 points or speed awareness course?’ is closed to new replies.