Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 3 Peaks? Who’s done it and is a mortal?
  • acjim
    Free Member

A couple of us are interested in doing the 3 peaks this year (if we can get in!). Has anyone who isn’t an elite racer done it and lived?

Do you need a racer license to enter?

What was it like?

Did you train much?

Any recommendations?

Will my disc brakes on the cx bike cause derision and scorn?

Should I leave stuff like this to the hard men?

ta!

MrSparkle

Has anyone who isn’t an elite racer done it and lived? plenty.

Do you need a racer license to enter? No

What was it like? Hard but fun

Did you train much? A fair bit.

Any recommendations? Er? Have a look at the official website and Dave Haygarths excellent 3 Peaks site.

Will my disc brakes on the cx bike cause derision and scorn? No, there’ll be others

Should I leave stuff like this to the hard men? MTFU.

acjim
    Free Member

cheers – I’ll check out the site.

crazy-legs

Done it twice, once in 06, again in 08 (it was cancelled in 07).
    It’s the hardest bike event I’ve done, harder than 24hrs races, you are absolutely battered by the end of it. But it’s also one of the most fun events ever, great atmosphere and you get to see how you really stack up agianst the Elite boys and girls at the front of the field!

My first race was 4.20 with 2 punctures, last year I did 4.03. I *will* get sub 4hr next time!

No licence needed but it’s worth doing at least some training if you want to enjoy it. I just did lots of miles on the CX in the Peak District. Disc brakes are fine as are flat bars (so long as they’re not wider than 50cm). Tyre width is restricted to 35mm IIRC.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I did it in 06. Got 5hr 59mins. Hardest race I have ever done – more so than 24 solo.

Don’t be under the impression it is like a ‘challenge’ event – it is a race and you will be pulled out at checkpoints if you are too slow.

For training – do loads of running as the hardest bits are carrying your bike up stupid slopes.

singlespeedstu

I did it once.

That was enough for me.

There was far too much walking in it for me.Bikes are for riding not carrying up steps. 😉

Maybe if I’d done some walking carrying the bike training I’d have liked it more.

acjim
    Free Member

This pic is making me think twice!

sq225917
    Free Member

35mm FFS

MrSparkle

Check this I made of last years to inspire you a bit!

clubber
    Free Member

sq225917 – Member
    35mm FFS

I know – pansies. proper riders will be on 32s 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘3 Peaks? Who’s done it and is a mortal?’ is closed to new replies.