Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 3 peaks tomorrow, best place to watch?
  • drinkmoreport
    Free Member

We’re gonna go up and watch this for the first time and think getting around by bike is better than car as the roads will be chocker-block? Horton looks like a good bet as they come through twice and its not far from the start/finish? can abyone tell me if they ride up the same way they come down PyG? is it up the lane/path that you start the walking 3 peaks or di they go up the PW path on the West flank and come down the lane to Horton?

kind regards and good luck to all entering…

mocha
    Free Member

Up and down PyG as you said. Much better to be on your bikes – don’t get me started on the support cars carrying spares for mid field riders. grrr. You could ride the road route without the hills and see a whole heap of the action from several places.

rilem

PyG is ascended & descended by the track from Horton next to the shop.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    starrman82
    Free Member

PYG or Ribblehead Viaduct.

qwerty
    Free Member

PyG but (i stand to be corrected) i don’t think they’ll allow you up there with a spectators bike on race day, well worth a hike to the upper tech bits, take some sweet treats for those who are **** and loads of moral support

ChrisE
    Free Member

Leave your car near the start. Ride to Wharfe then up Crummockdale and nearly all the way along Long Lane to near South House Farm. Then you can watch the riders as they come up from the road, when they will have only done a few hundred metres from the neutralized zone. You will have needed to set off from the start a good hour or so before they do. Then wehn they have passed you, ride down and across the road on on the new Pennine Bridleway. It’s not marked on the maps but is well signed on the ground. You can as it comes out on the minor road you have two choices. You can turn left up to Old Ing ride up to the woods (the last 500m is not a right of way but is a forrest road and well used) and double back down over birkwith Moor to Horton. That will all take you about 45mins from South House so you will have time to ride up the Pennine Way track (signed ‘Foxup) before the winning riders catch you up, and watch them all at some point up there. Alternativly from the Pennine Bridleway turn right (ie not go to old ing) the road goes straight into Horton. Ride on the road 3Km past Horton and turn left at Helwith Bridge up Long Lane byway (a different Long La!) to Dale Head. From there it is only a 20min hike-a-bike to the summit of Penyghent. It is only a footpath so you would need to hike it anyway (aahhemmm).

It’s all very easy to follow on an OS map.

C

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘3 peaks tomorrow, best place to watch?’ is closed to new replies.