Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 3 Peaks Race dissapointment – Feel like giving up :-(
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I did my first 3 Peaks Race this year, and I can quite easily say it was the hardest race I have done. I had no idea it would take me to get around, but I guess I had around 4hrs 30 in my mind. The reality was 5hrs 45.

I enjoyed it, but it became an exercise in survival rather than feeling I could even begin to race it.

I did as much prep as I could (given my time contraints), but my quads began to cramp just on the road climb out of Ingleton, Whernside was bearable cramp, but by the time I got to PyG I was almost zoned out because of the horrendous cramp. I was reasonably well hydrated so that wasnt the issue.

My prep started in late May. Pretty much the 4 years before that I havent been on the bike in any training type of way as I havent been well enough for long enough. I did as much base miles as I could. In reality that would be once a week 3-5hrs on the road 40-100 miles. Mixed up with running on the local moors, and the last couple of months hill reps on the the local moor.

In reality should I just see this years race as the start of base fitness training, and keep that going in to next year? Just in my mind, I really can see where I could even loose another 1hr of time! It has made me realise that I need to enter more races, because they do definitely make you push yourself, and get used to it.

Maybe given my past health, time contraints for getting out training. I just need to accept that I have done well to complete such a tough event.

What time did you do, and how many hours/miles do you put in to achieve it?

Edit: Should add though I loved the event, and the whole thing of carrying an inappropiate bike to the top of a hill and then riding down. I was puzzled why mtb’s were not used previously, but I totally get it now. Best bike race I’ve ever done, and probably ever will do 🙂

Northwind

Do you actually want to do it? It takes a lot of work to be good at this stuff, I cannot be arsed with that so I do stuff that’s fun even if you’re shite.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Do you actually want to do it?

I think there could be something in that. Do I want to spend hours a week on a bike, get super skinny, spend less time with family etc… not sure that I do. but that is I guess what I am asking. Is there a magic compromise some where in between, or even to get around in 4hrs do you need to be a slave to your bike ?

kcr
    Free Member

I wouldn’t recommend basing your training objectives on someone else’s hours/miles. Work out what free time you have available for training and then make the best use of that.
    Racing the Peaks in your first season after years off the bike is a big challenge, so don’t be discouraged. It can take a several years of structured training to reach your full potential.
    Do some reading about training, and maybe consider joining a club where you can get some coaching. You’ll want to be working towards doing more variety and more specific training, rather than just doing long rides on the bike.
    Good luck!

simonbowns
    Free Member

I had similar, with cramp right from the off on Simon Fell. Had to stop, stretch several times and still really struggled. I missed out PyG, so DNF for me.

Don’t feel too bad, you’re still in the top 500 in the world for that event 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Best bike race I’ve ever done, and probably ever will do

Haven’t you answered your own question here?

You had a six hour ride in nice sunny weather and it was a bit harder than you expected.

I don’t often tell people to MTFU, but…

flange
    Free Member

First off, well done for getting round! A proper achievement.

I think you already know your answer as you mentioned it above – base training. I raced quite a bit both on the road and MTB (although not to a high level in any shape or form) and the best season I had followed a winter of long slow club runs every weekend without fail. Obviously different strokes for different folks but for me, if I haven’t got any base fitness built up over time then I’m more useless than usual.

I also find that if I leap back into intensive training having had some time off, I’m setting myself up for some sort of injury through over training. So you were lucky on that front!

Also consider that this was your first one, you did’t know what to expect and therefore pacing, eating, drinking and so on were an unknown quantity.

There’s plenty of books on the subject of training – maybe have a look at the Joe Friel training bibles as an example. Regardless, everyone of them will have a different take on the length of time it’ll take to be half decent – I read somewhere that you can reach your peak level of fitness in 12 weeks (!?!). For me, long and slow in the winter and intervals in the summer, focusing on important events and tapering when necessary.

On the amount of time you have for training – Matt Bottril apparently only trains 8 hours a week and a year or so ago he was winning every TT he entered. Obviously a different focus to 5+ hours on a cross bike but shows you don’t need to be doing 35 hours a week to be pretty good.

crazy-legs

Nothing even comes close to how tough the Peaks is. Even seasoned pros will base half their year around it so for a first-timer there, you’re at a disadvantage to begin with.

There’s all the stuff online about “carrying bikes” and “running” and the reality is that none of it really comes close to replicating the total body battering that the Peaks gives you.

Couple that with your past health, time constraints, not knowing what you were up against and actually that’s not a bad result.

It’s slower at the back of the pack anyway, you’ve got all the other suffering people to get around, there are limited options for overtaking once you’re all clambering up Whernside so once you’re in a slow-moving stream of people you’re stuck there. That’ll be part of your time losses.

djglover
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden the cx but have done the fell race in 3:30, both have similar winning times…

First thing is that it takes years of adaptation to run at that level, so don’t expect it to happen after the first training block! Secondly was a winter of running 10 hours a week, every week. So doubles and buggering off for half of Sunday, it takes a lot of sacrifice, especially when you have a young family.

My perception is that the cycle training takes even more time and I know people who ride and run 15 hours and did 3:45 or so

Garry_Lager

Well done for getting round. I’ve not done it (though would like to), but surely it’s too unique of an event to be drawing any general conclusions from? It’s a crazy one-off race that you were doing for the first time – it’s not like a time trial or something where you can get a reliable read-out on your fitness, track your progression etc.

brassneck

Look at it this way – you’ve just set yourself a target to beat.

qwerty
    Free Member

Except for a dozen or so at the front it’s “survival” and “damage limitation” for the masses. Your far better just racing within yourself and being grateful for finishing. It helps if you like a spot of self flagellation whilst on your bike.

Fantombiker

I’ve done this race and found it tough. Thing is, its not a normal cross race. Its a very specific event, my thoughts were that training for this event should centre around running up steps. Its no surprise that fell runners do well at this race….

2tyred

My 2nd time this year – took a few mins off last year’s time, but I’d hoped to be sub 4hrs and ended up just outside. Loved it again, feel I’ve come away knowing the race a little better and knowing what I need to work on for next year.

I didn’t do any specific training for it, but I race a fair bit and tend to be in reasonable condition all year, without being able to dedicate much time to training.

Don’t over-analyse it – that race is a one-off and this was your first time.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

You were doing regular 100 mile – base level – training rides in 5 hours before this event

AND…

you found it tough?

Jeezus.. 😯

I’m never doing this event.

You must be some kind of machine. 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

I kinda had a similar outcome, binned after bike bustin’ rear mech bustin’ 🙄
    Anywhoo’s, I trained, I’m a fit lad, thought I’d be fine and in all honesty I think I would have been too. That incident was a concoction of me hitting a gully between two rocks/peat bog, a short stop followed by 15 blokes on my ass collapsing into me. Just the way it goes I guess. Hated being on the front with 15 chasers, no pressure on me at all 😆 I had too much adrenaline in me when trying to fix the bent mech that I grabbed a handful and busted the hanger with my immense new found strength 🙄

Thing for me though, I trained, been training all year building fitness and stamina. Done a load of CX Sportives, done a load of riding in the North York Moors etc. and a cleat full of road riding.

I was nervous to start with though. I read all the reviews and photos of previous years, tales of grandeur and sweat inspired me no end. However I got on the line and looked around and got the jitters.. me getting nervous on the start line is unheard of.. That wasn’t a good omen. Once the riding started I was fine enough but didn’t settle, didn’t like the jostling and close quarter criss-cross riding for the first 10k. Close Qtr Cross Racing I can handle, this was too random and no one wanted to give you room… I know all the rules and riding do’s/don’ts well enough and how to get out of trouble..

It hasn’t put me off doing it again, I will practice more in the NYMoors, do more riding in peat bog and very rough ground..

When entries come around again I guess I’ll be there itching to press the Go button, we’ll see.

So, no advice from me, just you’re not alone Sonny Jim.

tazzymtb

grow a beard, ride a daft bike with one gear and aim for the current 3h 37mins singlespeed record.

or

just ride lots, get as many miles in as you possibly can and “enjoy” the hell out it

metters
    Free Member

It was my 3rd attempt this year- trying to get into top 15- just scraped in 15th so pretty pleased- but sights go further up every time!
    I had pretty bad cramp from Whernside, which was earlier than previous years and a bit of a pain, but could just about push through.
    I learn something every year, but could really do with some better knowledge of the descent off Whernside which I find brutal.

For the first time I used my garmin, and also left my stages power meter on which gave some really interesting info. From reading the above it seems most people focus too much on practising pedalling for this race (me included) – here’s how my 3h 18m finishing time breaks down when I look at garmin data/strava:

Total Road riding: 53mins
    Total Off road climbing (on bike): 32mins
    Technical descending: 46mins
    Uphill on foot: 61mins

I’ve taken from this the importance of practising descending, and climbing on foot for prolonged periods to be just as important as practising pedalling!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I had this after my first enduro the other week. Still not sure what the out come is but I may do the same one again next year but do more race type training i.e. proper flat out efforts etc. Three peaks wise – going that big for a first race is bound to be tough there can’t be many tougher races in the UK, surely?

adsh
    Free Member

Maybe given my past health, time contraints for getting out training. I just need to accept that I have done well to complete such a tough event.

You need to accept you did well to enter and complete such a tough event despite severe pain – kudos.

Having taken part and seen what is involved you can now make an informed decision if you want to go on to the next step ie competing for places.

If you do then there are sacrifices (in my case no alchohol, no junk food and 15hrs training a week) but no pain no gain.

Also be aware that directly after such a tough event you enter a ‘trough of fatigue’ where you might feel pretty down. It’s taken me 4 weeks to recover from Torq in your Sleep.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I am by nature a very competitive person, and that is why I am struggling with it at the minute.

Mrs FD has tried to put it in perspective that 3 years ago Pneumonia put me in a position where I couldnt even walk up 12 steps, let alone however many 1000 there are on the 3 Peaks! Even back in May going for a 30 mile road ride killed me.

I learn something every year, but could really do with some better knowledge of the descent off Whernside which I find brutal.

Descending was definitely my strong point, and I loved the decents. I made up quite a bit of time on the Whernside descent. By the time I got there you could see the ‘cheeky’ line of to the side of the main steps, all the way down to the aquaduct area.

And chicken levers were definitely the way forward IMO.

martinhutch

Mrs FD has tried to put it in perspective that 3 years ago Pneumonia put me in a position where I couldnt even walk up 12 steps, let alone however many 1000 there are on the 3 Peaks! Even back in May going for a 30 mile road ride killed me.

Listen to your missus. She sounds exactly the kind of person to have around if you’re insisting on being so hard on yourself.

FFS you finished and should be chuffed with how you did, considering your training base and how it actually differed from the course. I’d certainly be chuffed with that.

brassneck

Sounds like the best training is to bike to work and spend your lunch hour running up and down the stairwell carrying it, followed by a brisk ride home.

taxi25
    Free Member

I had a similar experience to the Op. Went into it thinking sub 4hr but just scraped in under 5 hrs 🙁 I’m glad I did it but I won’t be doing it again. The motivation to do the type of training you need to do well just isn’t there for me.

I’ve taken from this the importance of practising descending, and climbing on foot for prolonged periods to be just as important as practising pedalling!

^^^^^^
    This 1000x

nedrapier

grow a beard, ride a daft bike with one gear and aim for the current 3h 37mins singlespeed record.

Taz, current SS record is now a beardless record, isn’t it?

I wonder if it draws a parallel with use of oxygen on Everest climbs: once SS success been proved possible without the assistance of beards, that becomes the gold standard to aim for?

tazzymtb

very true ned, I think the 3 min advantage over the shaggy record was the lack of beard and very very VERY dayglo socks.

bloomin amazes me how anyone could do it in under 4 with or without gears. I’d be crying like a little girl in first 30 minutes 😀

2tyred

SS here, currently bearded. Sounds like I need to crack out the razor for next year.

metters – that’s quite a result, good work fella!

stever
    Free Member

That idiot samuri off of singletrack did it fixed one year. His chin was clean then but he’s bearded now, so doubt he’ll repeat the feet… http://www.63xc.com/sriley/jonwyatt.htm

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘3 Peaks Race dissapointment – Feel like giving up :-(’ is closed to new replies.