Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 3 peaks on a bike
  • bigpole
    Free Member

Can you do the 3 peaks on a bike without using unauthorised paths or carrying your bike all the way up! etc.
    I can’t see a problem with Ben Nevis or Snowden, only with the time restrictions but I dont know of a route up Scafell.
    Is there a route up Scafell, or would you have to look at an alternative English peak such as Helvellyn.

johnners
    Free Member

Nearest bridleway passes 1.8km from the SP trig. From recollection and looking at the map you’d be carrying* the bike anyway.

*unless you’re a trials god with thighs of steel

mattsccm
    Free Member

Easy . Check if there is a bridleway to the top. If so you can ride there.
    If there is a foot path some legal authorities say that ou can push there. If neither, just access, then technically no.
    Practically. I doubt any one would care if you were careful and pissed no one off.
    I would be more worried about cycling between the hills.

ChrisE
    Free Member

We did it a few years ago with a tandem MTB, trailer and rode between them (on roads), climbed up the m on rock (I’m not a climber so that was a laugh!) doing an 11 pitch route up Snowdon, a 2 pich route up Scafell and up the Ben on Tower ridge. We had the tandem-paraglider in the trailer to fly off the summits back down to the bike. It took us 5 riding days and 3 ascent days since the accent of each was a full day. Was strange and hard since we’d not been on a tandem before except for one hour ‘trial’ ride! Email me if you want route-help as we had a good route including mersey-ferry, Isle of Arran and Listmore and riding Wrynose and Hardnott passes.

The tamdem was Boxelders (of this forum), I bet he’d want to padd it on if he can – ha ha!!

C

dans160
    Free Member

As far as I am aware you are not allowed bikes on Scarfel. You would have to climb Helvelyn instead. Did it few years ago non-stop. It took us about 26hours. We used an estate car which was a mistake, borrow or hire a pickup so you don’t have disassemble/reassemble a boot load of kit at each stop.

boxelder

padd it on

??

Essential tool now – son as stoker and girls in a trailer (not up Hardknott though!)

Scafell Pike is a total ball ache by bike.
    The 3 peaks is such an unimaginative challenge anyway – all that driving for one decent ride (Snowdon). Unless you go for multi-discipine madness like Chris.
    Why not drive to Keswick and ride High St, Helvellyn and Skiddaw. All legal, all brilliant, minimum driving.
    Jusy my tuppence worth……

DavidB
    Free Member

Nice one Chris E. Good to see someone ditching the car

ChrisE
    Free Member

Sorry Boxelder that was a typo, should sa ‘pass it on’.

IIt would be good to do something different, bike between them and run up/down them or something.

Driving between them is very bad, not leist for environmental reasons and not sure that it’s a ‘fair’ use of the mountains

C

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘3 peaks on a bike’ is closed to new replies.