Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • 3 Peaks Cyclocross – Who's in? What's your tips?
  • crazy-legs

I’m really looking forward to not-racing and actually properly watching, having a ride round, enjoying the day and maybe ringing a cowbell or two at passing riders.

🙂

Good luck everyone!

bikebouy
    Free Member

😐

chris_db
    Free Member

I’ll be dibbing you in at the finish; good luck!

Weather is looking excellent, not sure how dry under foot/wheel it will be but otherwise great.

Chris

crazy-legs

How was it for everyone then?

Seemed like perfect conditions, barely a breath of wind, lovely blue sky and sunshine but not too hot.
    The usual complete carnage from traffic, some of the driving by support vehicles was just lunatic.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Busted bike.. 😕

Bent rear mech into wheel. Tried to fix it then bust the hanger 😛

kilo

Mrs had a mare on second hill and ended up just missing the cut off at pen y gent. She had been going ok until then so she is gutted Thanks to all who helped out it’s an awesome event. Bikebuoy were you staying at the falcon in settle?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I finished but way slower than I would have liked in 5:45 and to be fair at the moment I can’t see where I could get quicker apart from doing a lot more training.

Hardest race I’ve ever done but also the best, the views going up Simons Fell were amazing.

Saw some odd stuff including a lorry blocking the road up to ribblehead, a nasty looking fall on whernside, and then a car v motorbike accident on the way back to ribblehead.

Thanks to all the folk who gave me water up PyG. I lost the valve to my camelback going up Simons Fell, only for a few seconds, but it was enough for my bladder to empty a lot of its contents!

Thanks to the organisers too, especially the best commentator ooop north

fooman

I’m walking like a man with rickets after finishing just over 5 hours, had an ace pyg descent made up loads of time but couldn’t put the hammer down on the road due to cramping, otherwise might have been sub 5. Not much chit chat on the climbs, but I kept trying out my new joke ‘you know from the top, on a clear day, you can see Rob Jebb’ – he didn’t win this year though have to come up with something new for next year.

luffy105
    Free Member

Well done to all of you who entered this year. I marshalled at ColdCotes and welcomed most of you into the finishing tent to collect your dibbers at the end. Superb effort from all of you. Amazing how most of you still had a smile at the end of such a gruelling ordeal. Hope the people who were rescued off the course all heal quickly

And what wonderful weather!!!

Spin
    Free Member

No PB but happy with my time (4:15) given lack of prep. Any word on the lad who crashed on Whernside? Looked like he was in a bad way, hope he’s ok.

stever
    Free Member

…kept trying out my new joke ‘you know from the top, on a clear day, you can see Rob Jebb’

I think I heard that joke just before the top of Ingleborough – was that you bantering with the photographer? New BB needed, shoes split and bendy, twisted mech to check for bodgeability. Quite an expense race on bike and body.

Anyways, just snuck under 5h which is frankly rubbish. But as a kindly mate pointed out, everyone’s a hero and I’m putting it about that I’m in the Top 500 IN THE WORLD. Marshalls and helpers were utterly superb and seemed more plentiful than ever. Thanks for making it happen.

darthshearer
    Free Member

Well done all. A superb day.

I was spectating at Ribblehead.

The usual complete carnage from traffic, some of the driving by support vehicles was just lunatic

The marshaling at Ribblehead T-Junction was farcical. There was a women who was supposed to be marshaling there but was too busy talking to people than instructing cars etc

That road from Hawes to Ingleton, man alive the motorcyclists on there, absolute lunatics. I was riding to Ingleton and an ambulance was going towards Ribblehead. We pulled over to allow the Ambulance up yet 5 motocyclists thought they would go through first so the Ambulance with blue flashing lights had to wait. Complete bell ends. Think Bike, think ****.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well, I’m going to say it was mentally frikin hard.

A day of mixed emotions…

I started well enough, paced off until the first real Fell (I think it was a fell, who knows!!) and tried in vein to make up some time where I could see a gap or space to ride.. I entered a small gap between two huge stones and the front got bogged then almost 15 riders pilled in to the back of me, the nearest bloke behind hopped out of the way leading to chaos and a clatter of bikes and groans.
    Busted I tried to get going again to find my mech bent into my rear wheel, no spokes busted so pulled over and with adrenaline running pulled too hard on the jockey wheels to bend it back and snap. Shite. Such a simple “take your time moment” could have saved my ride.

Called the Mrs, car and wife arrived.

Took me bloody ages to get calmed down, I was furious with myself. To say I spat my dummy out was an understatement. All that pent up training and expectation, jeeze. 🙄

I think, next year I’m going to spend more time riding up there in the fells and hills just to get more an idea of conditions.. I’ve been doing well riding in the NYMoors over the last year thinking this would be enough practice but hey, shite happens.

It’s the biggest event I’ve ever ridden in, on the start line I’m normally calm and relaxed in a “yeah whateva, just a rideout” attitude, but I couldn’t settle.. Watching all the other riders made me nervous as hell.

Glad to hear some good stories, really hope you all enjoyed it.. and sorry if I spoiled your race by causing some unwanted chaos.

The saving grace was watching Sagan win on the iPad whilst being driven home on the A1…

😕

spawnofyorkshire

@Bikebuoy that there above sounds like some good motivation for next year.

Hats off to anyone who attempts this. One day i might have a go but i need a chunk more fitness and bike-handling skills first

crazy-legs

I think, next year I’m going to spend more time riding up there in the fells and hills just to get more an idea of conditions.. I’ve been doing well riding in the NYMoors over the last year thinking this would be enough practice but hey, shite happens.

The problem is that there’s really only 2 sections you can ride outside of the actual race. The lower half of the Whernside descent (from the stile junction where the FP joins the BW) and Pen-y-Ghent lane.

Every year I’ve raced I’ve done at least one walk/run over Whernside and a couple of rides around on the roads. It’s rarely done me much obvious good (I kind of hang around the 4hr mark most of the time so I’m a good hour behind Jebby!) but it can’t do any harm.

Funny thing that race, you do it and think never again and then 10 minutes later you’re thinking “hmm, if I’d have taken that line off here…” or “if I did some running practice…”

But then as you say, all the training can be undone in one puncture or breakage, one day of dreadful weather.

It was nice to watch it though, I think taking a year out was for me mentally the right thing to do.

johnx2
    Free Member

First one for me. Great day, lots of fun, and an absolutely superb event. Determined to do it again.

4:36 was slower than my mates – a lot slower than some – but I know where I can find a few minutes. (Not getting stuck at the back at the start, not veering pointlessly off route up and down whernside, being a bit lighter and fitter (the former easily said…) carrying a bit less shite, being a bit luckier re not getting stuck behind a motorbike crash on the way down to Horton, yadda yadda.

Also I’m older than the event but am reluctant to concede yet that that might be a factor.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Some great times as I only managed a lowly 6 hours on my first attempt!
    Last guy at the cut off at Pen-y-ghent which I was pleased about!
    Throughly enjoyed it apart from an exploding tyre on the road after Ingleborough.
    Big thanks to the lady in the car who lent me a track pump rather than use my mini pump!
    No thanks to my helper who make me sink 7 pints in Settle on Friday nite!
    Max

Edric64
    Free Member

Turner fan ,I must have spoken to you as I was last to finish this year .Was inside the cutoff by 10 minutes but was shattered.I was riding the bright orange Dave Lloyd and wearing green and black bikecity kit

ianfitz
    Free Member

Edric you will have seen me marshalling at PYG lane and also the van tour this morning at the bridge hotel. Good to meet you.

chipps

Just going through some photos now. I was marshalling halfway up PyG, by the gate – and trying to stop the downy riders colliding with the uppy riders – which I mostly achieved, apart from Jebby bumping into one of his team mates… oops.
    What a great day! And thanks to the cheers and smiles and thanks on the way up and down. You’re all rockstars – and I’ll see you next year for number seven…

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Edric 64 I spoke to you a couple of times I think,you had cramp?
    Saw you going up pen-y-gwent as I was coming down?
    Said you were doing your own race?
    Still kept soldiering on,great effort!
    Max

luffy105
    Free Member

Ah Chipps, I thought I recognised you from your pics from here…. Oooh, I’ve been in the presence of (stw) greatness! See you next year 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Various photos have popped up in my Twitter feed, none more impressive than that of John Dowell, 80 years young who completed the race. 😀

I’ve just checked the results – he finished in 5hrs52 and wasn’t last.

bikebouy
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member
    The problem is that there’s really only 2 sections you can ride outside of the actual race. The lower half of the Whernside descent (from the stile junction where the FP joins the BW) and Pen-y-Ghent lane.

Yeah I know it’s mostly closed off, what I mean is riding up and over Moors in the NYM area more. And more off the farmer tracks, more in the single rutted rock strewn/peat bog tracks.. that kinda thing.
    I try to ride everywhere flat chat see, which means I take the line of least resistance always.. More technical bog/rock hopping stuff will help me no end.

Enjoyed seeing everyone though, some proper fit lads there..

Next year? Hmmm..

mugsys_m8

A great weekend. It’s a big trip for me to come over, but not as big as some: I did PYG and finished just ahead of a guy from NZ. Ayyway from the airport my head was in such a better place this year. Last year was pretty disastrous and I was all over the place from the airport!

Had a great day on Saturday chilling out in the field (1st tent there!). Met some great people, rally good vibe. As Chipps said : ” Village Hall atmosphere”. Spot on.

The race went really well. Slow descending off Ingleborough. Like a whippet on the road to Whernside. Legs felt heavy on Whernside but ok. The upper sections of PYG were a slog as ever. Great hammer to the finish. No mechanicals. Best finish time yet (by 5 mins…) Perfect weather. No particularly dark times in my head….. But oh so disappointed with not getting my goal of 4h45. Came in 5h04. Oh well. Best get ready for next year!!!!!!

Well done all. Please be proud. Racers and volunteers. Chipps: stand on the correct side when dishing out jellybabies! I so wanted some but couldn’t find the energy to move over to the other side. Luckily someone higher up had some too!

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Good effort from everyone taking part, and a big thanks to all the organisers, marshals and supporters.

It was my second and I managed to beat last year’s time by 5 minutes so I’ve got to be pleased with that (4h 20m 55s). Like many, I feel like I’ve left something out there on the course.

I was close to all my target times for getting close to a 4hr ride, but I pinch-flatted going down the slabs off Whernside. It cost me ~10 minutes, and I spent the rest of the ride convinced I’d not got enough air back in the tyre, and holding back to defend against another puncture. Lesson learned; back to Landcruisers next year. From Ribblehead to the end I was fighting against cramps in my legs, so never felt like I could really put the hammer down.

Apart from Whernside most of the Strava segments were PRs over last year, so I was going well (for me). Sub 4hr10m is doable. I’ll be back next year for sure …

isitafox
    Free Member

Talking to a friend at the gym today who’s dad did it with him as support. Sounded like a great day with the weather and all but I heard about the nasty crash, something about a guy just heard a snap come from his neck so just lay on the ground awaiting assistance as he didn’t dare move. I hope everything was ok and it wasn’t too serious!

puffnutts
    Free Member

It was my first go and turned out to be quite eventful. The car v motorbike biff between Ribblehead and PYG was actually my car, being driven by a friend acting as support. So 2hours 40minutes in I get to ride past the remains of my faithful old Golf with a motorbike planted in the front end. Checked everyone okay, nothing for me to add to situation so I carried on because i figured i might get sub 4 hours.

Really special day out, I will definately try and go back again next year.

Was interesting to see a few of the top riders running tubeless rather than tubs. I ran tubeless at about 60 psi and got around without a flat. Really pleased with that bit.

Does anyone known who the photographer was on the smooth gravel fadeaway near Ribblehead? I think I got air.

Well done to all organisers, marshalls and riders. A unique and special event.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Loads of 3 Peaks photos here.

Chris Meads has some photos from Ribblehead

IdleJon

The motorbike stuff is interesting. The roads are obviously good to ride or drive on a normal day but why do the bikers insist on riding like idiots when there is so much traffic around? I had an altercation with one when I drove my brother’s car as support about 12 years ago. Biker behind me took offence to the fact that I slowed because there were cyclists blocking the road ahead of me – surprise! – and spent the rest of the drive down to Horton brake testing me. 🙄

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘3 Peaks Cyclocross – Who's in? What's your tips?’ is closed to new replies.