Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 3 Peaks CX questions.
  • tlr

2 questions for your collective opinion please.

1. How similar is the off road on the 3 peaks to Cut Gate, Ladybower to Langset and back? I did thus the other day on my cx bike and found it ok, pretty battering but ok. This was on Racing Ralph’s at 60 psi, no punctures.

2. Given the above, are Cinder X significantly tougher/ better than Ralphs or should I just give in and fit Landcruisers like everybody else?

Thanks.

taxi25
    Free Member

I used R/R at about 65psi without any problems. But I wasn’t coming down the rocky tracks at about 40mph like the quick guys.

boxelder

I’ve run cinder x for my last 2 runs T, and as you’re aware, I’m not the racing snake that you are…. 😳
    The comparison you make isn’t way out, but on 35 mm tyres, on loose gravelly/rocky stuff you hit fewer rocks than on mtb tyres, drifting around through the rocks (if that makes any sense), so different type of battering on hard cx tyres – unless your post should have read cx tyres, not xc, in which case – yes, similar. The 3 pks isn’t as constantly rocky/rough as cut gate etc. aside from PyG lane etc, there’s not that much rocky stuff on it. Cinder x, I found much better than LCs on the peat jaggy bits and noticeably lighter.
    Let us know if short of ‘drinks support’ – may bring Luke over to spectate.

tlr

Sorry, ipad autocorrect changed cx to xc – I was on a cx bike on cx racing ralphs over cut gate.

I won’t be doing 40mph downhill either, I’ll be mincing down trying to avoid a puncture I think.

Thanks for the offer, I’ve not decided on a plan yet, whether to do bottles and support or just camelbak it. Carrying a bike with bottles is a pain, and hard to drink on the off road. Looks like the good guys use no bottle cages and stick it in the pocket for the road and ditch the bottle before the off road. A wedding in Sheffield the night before confuses things a bit!

boxelder

I’ve always carried a bottle, with another hidden at the start of PyG lane – sounds like you’ll over hydrate sat eve though, so good plan. You have to ride the slabs and flags off Whernside – it’s the law……

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve done it twice and both times with a small pack. No risk of bottle loss (there are plenty scattered around so it happens) and easier to carry. I just put 1 – 1.5L of water in depending on weather. Mine leaves access to pockets for food and has enough space for tubes, tool etc. so that the bike is light and easier to carry.

Never understood the land cruiser thing. They seem really heavy. I just ran my standard intermediate tyres (Vittoria XG pro) and pumped them up hard (65 ish). If you are light, ride with a bit of sense and don’t crash into the water drains you should avoid punctures. The majority of punctures I saw were people coming down the slabs and pinching. I don’t see there being much time to make up on the descent*. Big gains to be make if you can get a group at 20+ mph on the road and march up the climbs.

*ride or run it is up to you. Personally my aim is to get round as fast as possible so I’ll decide on the day. Same as in a normal race – if it is faster to run, then shoulder and get on with it.

2tyred

This’ll be my first 3 Peaks and I’d been thinking a small camelbak might be better than bottles, cheers jonba.

Planning to go with Landcruisers though, can’t recall what I’ve got on at the moment but they’re on the lighter side and I figure multiple punctures would be way more disspiriting than draggy tyres. Riding SS, so not like I’ll be flying over the tarmac anyway!

chris_db
    Free Member

I’ll be marshalling this year, wave as you go by!

DavidB
    Free Member

You’ll be fine on Landcruisers and with a pack. I made up all my time on the road as jonba said, as well as the comment about marching. I passed a fair few runners who had exploded after about 50 feet of it. You are riding singlespeed aren’t you?

simonbowns
    Free Member

1) Doesn’t get quite as rocky/blocky as I remember, more of the moorland/grassy, but with rocks sticking out. If you’ve ridden round here on the CX bike, you’ll be fine. Practice the shouldering/climbing bit imho.

2) No idea on the others, I’m sticking with suggesting Landcruisers

simonbowns
    Free Member

Oh – I used a small pack (Osprey Raptor 6) – the straps give you something to rest the bike on your shoulder too 😉

ernie

Hi,
    I gathering 3 peaks advice. I’ve entered this year for the first time, this will also be my first cx race (although I am a eltei mtbr). General questions:
    Any top tips? Tyres, presures, spares, bottles, pacing, how much running (and what locations), what is the track surface like, etc. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

jonba
    Free Member

All the tips you need

http://3pcx.blogspot.co.uk

richpips
    Free Member

Coming off of Whernside I would say is more tech than Cut Gate, and the rocks are sharper.

Running, there is no running unless you are Rob Jebb, Nick Craig never runs in the peaks (but can certainly run).

Gearing fit a 1:1 gear so that you can ride most of the way up PyG

Practice walking up V steep hills with your bike. Lots.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘3 Peaks CX questions.’ is closed to new replies.