Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 3 Peaks CX gearing for mere mortals – how low do you go?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Particularly on 1x systems.

My preference is always to pedal as much as possible and only climb off and walk as a last resort – even if walking is quicker!

Ta

taxi25
    Free Member

Just leave what you have on the bike already. There’s very few bits that you could ride with lower gearing. It’s ridable then it’s walking very quickly !! Not much in between.

crazy-legs

34T chainring on a double, coupled with an 11-36 cassette.

A mate used a 38T single ring with a 9-42 cassette which gave basically the same ratios.

jonba
    Free Member

The first two bits you can’t ride up. The only one where it makes a difference is Pen y ghent. Try and get as close as you can to 1:1. Even then if you’ve been riding and running at your limit for a few hours then you’ll find there are sections you need to walk. That and if it rains it is slippy.

Last time I did it I used 34:32 which was the lowest I could get on my CX. Rode most of the last climb and got round in 3h42.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I used a 38 up front an 10-42 11 speed

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve got a triple on my CX which gives me 26 at the front x32 at the rear. Unfashionable but suits me for the 3 Peaks.

tlr

34-32 for me. As others have said I don’t think that any lower would be quicker.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

It depends on your fitness. Have you ridden before/got a time ?

I guess if you’re able to get a 1×11 setup, you’ll be able to go as low as you want, although you’ll sacrifice higher gears for the road sections, which might then outweigh the advantage of having low gears. Having said that, the podium riders were all on 1x11s so I guess it didn’t bother them. My CX is my only ‘road’ bike so I would be missing certain gears if training with a 1×11, hence I prefer my ‘old’ double 10spd groupset. Incidentally, in case you’re wondering why a few of us have 34 x 32, and not lower, it’s because road derailleurs generally don’t support anything bigger than a 32, hence we’re ‘stuck’ with road cassettes such as 12-32.

As jonba said, it’s Pen Y Ghent that matters. The surface is all rideable right up to about 100 mtrs before the big right-hander where you turn onto the shoulder of the hill. By this latter part of the trail, it’s so steep that twiddling a low gear isn’t quicker than running. But if you’ve managed to pedal all the way before that without putting a foot down, you’ll have saved time compared to running.

My bike has a 34 x 32 lowest gear. Last year I struggled to do Pen Y Ghent. But this year I was fitter (25 minutes faster), and 34 x 32 was just about OK for a 4 hour ride. I’d have preferred a lower gear on certain bits, but it wouldn’t have made me go much quicker (we’re talking seconds, not minutes). And besides, I’m aiming to do a faster time again next year, and if I fit a lower 1st gear, it won’t necessarily mean I’ll do a faster time, only that I won’t be grinding so much on the steeper sections. In other words, my guess is that the riders doing 3:45 or less are probably riding a 1st gear ratio similar to 34 x 32 – certainly no lower than 1:1. Of course, if you’re aiming for something like 4 and a half hours, which is still very impressive, you might be better off with something less than 1:1, and focus on pedalling as much as possible – unless you’re a fell runner !

I’m not sure if this makes much sense, but hope it helps 🙂

fooman

I put 2×10 MTB gear on, 11-36 rear cassette & 28/40 front crank. Shifted well, plenty of range. I’d previously used a 24/38 front but prefer a 40 for the road & most other riding / racing. Ignore talk of being somehow weak or unfit & experiment to find what works for you – at the end of the day some people do it on singlespeed, mainly so they can look down on anyone with gears, can’t think of any other reason to ride a ss 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

22/32/44 with 11 /34 cassette on the 3 peaks for me it helps me ride most of PYG if I don`t cramp first

ampthill

A couple of points that may help

This years Sora and Tiagra are rated to 34 teeth

But Specialized now sell a bike with a 36 at the back and a 105 rear mech. So I’m assuming that my Tiagra mech will do 36 teeth if I want it too

Spa Cycles now do a sub compact type chainset type thing. Its actually a triple with 2 rings and bash guard. As its square taper it can be run on either a road chain line so in theory you can use your road front mech. They cover a range of ratios around the 28 40 type mark. £60 plus bottom bracket, way less than the Sugino one. We may eventually see the FSA chainsets over here that Spec’ are fitting at the moment. They are 32 48

Let me know how you get on. Just bought a 34 32 tiagra bike and I think I’ll want to go lower even on the road

chrishc777
    Free Member

Never done 3 peaks but I can confirm a short cage 105 mech will do 11-36. I found chain length critical, one link too many or too few and it didn’t work, took me alot of fettling before I figured that out. I run mine with a 38t ring

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘3 Peaks CX gearing for mere mortals – how low do you go?’ is closed to new replies.