Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 3 Peaks Challenge on an MTB
  • strawb3110
    Free Member

A friend wants to do the above, has asked me for info/suggestions. Is this do-able, allowed, are there set trails/routes etc. etc??? Apologies for possibly stoooopid questions, but thought I’d check with the STW font of knowledge? Cheers

whitestone
    Free Member

The 3 peaks CX race uses sections that are only open on race day, one or two bits aren’t even footpaths. The only one of the three with a legal BW to the summit is Ingleborough and is pretty full on (the race doesn’t go that way BTW).

There are a limited number of paths/tracks on to the three summits and now that summer’s here (I can tell – the rain is warmer) these will be packed with walkers between the hours of 10am to 6pm.

somouk
    Free Member

Presuming you are on about the national 3 peaks challenge?

Almost impossible during summer due to the tourist footfall. I’ve done it before and I’m supporting another team doing it in August. If you were doing it on a bike you would have to do a different route down most of the mountains than the normal walking route as it’s just not suited to bikes. You would end up carrying more than riding.

whitestone
    Free Member

Ah, being in Mordor, I assumed the OP meant the Yorkshire 3 peaks.

thecaptain
    Free Member

If he means the national one, surely a road bike would make more sense. Unless they are planning the driving challenge, in which case a read of this may be helpful:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/three-peaks-challenge

martinhutch

Would be a miserable experience on the national 3 peaks. You might as well do it carrying a fridge. Scafell Pike does not have a BW, which is scarcely relevant as you would be pushing in both direction for most of the up and a fair bit of the down and along. Snowdon would most likely be a pain in the arse due to the voluntary ban hours.

stever
    Free Member

Snowdon would most likely be a pain in the arse due to the voluntary ban hours.

No guarantee of peace either! I was up there 6:30am last Sat – there were well over a hundred people around the top from a couple of big events 😯

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘3 Peaks Challenge on an MTB’ is closed to new replies.