Viewing 27 posts - 161 through 187 (of 187 total)
  • 3 peaks cc – whos applied?
  • wool

Tommy rocks

boxelder

Big Ted

I saw you DFL’d – good effort to be out in that for so long.
    Were you riding some 1950’s hub-braked gate?
    I took your old TiX for it’s third (and slowest) time.
    Yet to puncture, though I did nearly drown in the l’aal puddle coming off PyG.

BigTed
    Free Member

Yes, I was out for quite a bit but thought I may as well get value for money. It also seemed that the PYG ‘pond’ got deeper as time went on – by the time I got there on the way down it was almost waist deep.

crazy-legs

https://t.co/iIrJ2Ac0

That link opens up a dropbox file in Excel which lists all the ride data you could ever wish to know as well as a lot that’s simply depressing. Trying to work out how Jebby can be 3 minutes PER MILE quicker than me?!

Sam

Account of my first and ultimately aborted attempt here.

Clover

My first 3 Peaks. My first cycling blog… reading everyone else’s I am increasingly grateful that I finished at all here

BigTed
    Free Member
    stever
    Free Member

More guff here: http://furiouscycling.blogspot.co.uk/
    TwinklyDave’s account is a good read. I blame him for the weather, he said it wasn’t hard enough for him previous years: http://www.twinklydave.com/

GregMay
    Free Member

I shall add my words into the mix. Long day. Awesome race by Terrahawk, same time as last year! Wonder what he’ll get up to this weekend?

fatmax

Sunday was my first time.
    And I’d read that it was a love it or hate it event.
    Decided not to go down the night before, as I didn’t fancy camping with the rain and wind, so set off from Edinburgh at 4.45am.
    Knew what to expect from the reputation and videos I’d seen, though it took some positive tunes on the ipod while sitting in the car to get myself up for it, horizontal rain outside against the window.
    Basically plodded round in 6.12 (487th) and loved every minute, had a puncture coming down off Whernside (despite having bought Schwalbe Land Cruisers especially) but managed to keep warm while fixing it behind a dry stone wall. Loved the atmosphere, the chat, the course, the spectators – I just think it’s a totally magical event. Quite chuffed to have done it on the 50th anniversary and in such tough conditions.
    Will I be back? Definitely, but I’ll be hoping for dryer / easier conditions. I just need to practice more on a CX bike on technical terrian, so I can make up more time on the downs.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I am in awe of anyone who did that. We went to watch as usual but had to go pretty quickly as small boy’s waterproof suit was too small and he was getting pretty cold.

Clover

Is there anyone else out there who just can’t stop eating? I got back on my bike today and my legs shuddered. Might have had a Jens Voigt moment… 🙂

fatmax

aye Clover, I’ve had the munchies since I crossed the finish line!!
    Commuted to work on the bike every day this week, but it’s SORE.

STL

I now feel like a complete pansy (especially after reading all of the reports of everyone else that tougher through it)…didn’t make the cut off at chapel-le-dale. Had done lots of walking up steps, thinking with hindsight that practicing RUNNING up steps would have stood me in better stead! No clue on race pace and a complete lack of rain in the middle section of the states made riding in mud a completely alien activity.
    Hoping to give it another try again next year (assuming it will be run) now I have better feel for what to expect.
    Kudos to all the volunteers for standing out in that stuff so we could play out in it!
    STL (flying home at the weekend with tail firmly between legs in shame). 😳

crikey
    Free Member

STL, get your head held high! That was a particularly grim edition of the 3 peaks and to be there and take part for however long is something to be proud of.

Come back and give it another go, please!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Some great reading folks 🙂 Brings back the whole thing. My only aim was to finish and tick the 3 Peaks box, with the looming weather this was turning out to be a challenging target. I did manage though at just a bit over 6hrs. This included 4 over the bars incidents (3 comical, 1 ouch) and the realisation that I should have practiced carrying the bike and walking up hills a lot lot more than I did! On the day I thought I cycled Ok, but the carrying bits and ascents killed me.

Leading up to the race I had two separate conversations about doing something then leaving it alone. If it all goes well why tempt fate by going back when so much could go wrong? I keep telling myself this but can’t shake the urge to go back and get up those hills that bit quicker.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

A question for the disc users, did you find the disc helped? I went through one set of front and back blocks and also had to stop and pull some extra cable though! I wondered if discs were the answer?

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve never done it on cantis as this was my first time but have recently switched to a disc braked bike.

They were much easier to use than my cantis, lighter touch to get powerful braking so I was able to relax my arms and hands more.

They always worked at all points the limiting factor (other than skill) was the grip of my tyres.

They did wear down a lot but I think I had organics in. They are bb7 and I had to wind them in a bit to keep them working. Pads went from used on the road, burnt in and virtually new to about 1/2 wear.

GregMay
    Free Member

A question for the disc users, did you find the disc helped? I went through one set of front and back blocks and also had to stop and pull some extra cable though! I wondered if discs were the answer?

Change your pads would be my answer! I do think discs would help, but 4th time on canti’s and have had no braking or wear issues.

FWIW on TRP Euro-cross-X’s with Swiss Stop Green inserts on alu rims. Its more about where and for how long you brake, than how hard you brake.

However, I do think I’d be less fatigued on discs. Arms get a pummling despite running cross top levers and wider bars to mimic mid 90’s MTB position (48cm).

stever
    Free Member

I’ve done it the other way round, first time was on a borrowed bike with cable Avids. Then I got my own bike with Tektro cantis. Much as I like the ‘stuck out of time’ nature of cross, it was definitely easier with discs. Decent Kool-Stop pads helped, but they’re still cantis.

Greg’s right though, I probably just use the brakes too much…

sefton
    Free Member

mini v’s (somewhere in the middle)!

crazy-legs

Ceramic rims with Avid Shorty cantis. No other choice, my CX bike isn’t disc compatible.
    They worked OK, like they have for the previous 5 years…

😉

(Yes, of course I’d prefer discs!)

twinklydave

A question for the disc users, did you find the disc helped?

Yes. Frankly. I was a bit skeptical at first, what with surviving 4 previous editions on canti’s (and even managing to slow myself successfully with one finger on each lever while doing so), but they really were better. More predictable (ie. less time waiting for the pads to clear dirt off the rims before really biting), less tiring (less arm pump down Whernside) and the pads are still 90% there now.

doodlebug
    Free Member
    sefton
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/51028192[/video]

great video!

fatmax

that’s a magic vid!

Viewing 27 posts - 161 through 187 (of 187 total)

The topic ‘3 peaks cc – whos applied?’ is closed to new replies.