Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 3 months off work with pay
  • molgrips
    Free Member

If you had 3 months off work with effectively full pay, what would you do?

I haven't, btw (yet), and I've got plenty of ideas of my own – just wondering what others would do 🙂 Up for a little escapism this afternoon.

carbon337
    Free Member

Travel to Far East

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I rode my bike a lot and did a load of DIY – mine was near nine months

br
    Free Member

I've done it a couple of times, enforced through redundancy – but good payoffs.

Trouble is under those circumstances you don't know how long it will last, nor can you plan…

But lots of riding.

RealMan
    Free Member

Get another job for those 3 months? Then with the extra money buy whatever it is you've really wanted..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Round the world.

Drac

There's some Teachers on here they should be able to help with. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Trouble is under those circumstances you don't know how long it will last, nor can you plan

Assuming you know what's going to happen and it's all ok..

Woppit.. round the world how? Plane/backpack?

DT78
    Free Member

I'd be spending extended vacations in the alps/whistler/nz etc… skiing or biking depending on the season

jimmyshand
    Free Member

I would take my bike, choose a direction, probably east, get off the island and see how far I could get in 3 months.

Stoner
    Free Member

go on TJ, how did you get 9 months paid leave in your (public sector) job?

Suspension whilst your paperclip stealing exploits were being investigated?
    Whistleblower?
    Relocation?
    George Cross compassionate leave?
    Your death?
    "Stress"?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I took three months out when I was made redundant and used the time to wire/rewire the house, complete the main bathroom, etc, etc all related to extension refurbishment project. I got a break from the office routine, got a lot of usefull work done and if the sun was out no deliveries/tradesmen due I could just go out for a ride if I felt like it.

If I didn't have so much to do at home maybe I'd have just packed the car and gone to Europe for a couple of months and tried hard to make it further than Amsterdam.

It was great to have the freedom but if you are the type to worry about being out of work, have commitments etc it may not be so good.

Adrian

molgrips
    Free Member

Rewiring the house? So much for inspiration eh..

willard

You could always repaint the house. Plenty of inspiration required there.

Personally, I'd spend a lot of time gardening and training the dogs up. Then probably get another job to stop me feeling bored during the day.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Rewiring the house? So much for inspiration eh..

well maybe not the most fun thing to do but a constructive use of some time I was sort of paid for. It feels good to have acheived something tangible.

If all you want is short term thrills you can't be as old and sensible as me 😉 If you are being given time and money without having to sign on every two weeks then you have a rare chance to travel. Would be great to just go away for the summer and do what you like, see something new.

Adrian

rkk01
    Free Member

Yep, riding and sorting the house out would be my plan

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm thikning of renting an apartment in Boulder, if/when I can make it happen by saving up money.

thomthumb
    Free Member

go on TJ, how did you get 9 months paid leave in your (public sector) job?

in the public sector you just stop turning up and wait and see how long they pay you for.

you can extend this period by occasionally turning up in the tea room, or leaving a coat in the locker room. 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

The Bob Graham round!

crazy-legs

I would take my bike, choose a direction, probably east, get off the island and see how far I could get in 3 months.

I'm sure we could have a forum whipround to facilitate your emigration…

Stoner
    Free Member

surfer – Id never heard of that until your post. Great bit of trivia, and fair play to the guy!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Graham

miketually
    Free Member

There's some Teachers on here they should be able to help with.

My 6 weeks starts on Friday lunchtime 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

where's TJ got to then?

surfer
    Free Member

Stoner

This Bob Graham!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stoner
    Free Member

ha! and I thought you were advocating the OP undertake voluntary work instead 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

Nothing so philanthropic, to my shame!

aracer
    Free Member

The Bob Graham round!

In 3 months? Isn't that a little unambitious?

surfer
    Free Member

Well I would need some "hill time" to prepare properly but with a sub 24hr effort being the aim, at least for the first lap! 😉

Chew
    Free Member

Surly if you were to have 3 months off, you should have a once in a life time adventure.

Do the GDR ITT style
    Ride from where you live to India (ok the Iraq, Afganistan bit would be 'interesting')
    Buy a 50cc scooter and ride around europe, or south to north Vietnam, like they did on topgear.

Do something that the little 6 year old inside you wants to do, and you'll remember forever, not rewiring the house. Thats just something you keep putting off until you've run out of excusses.

NZCol

If it was truly paid then i would do something that i wanted to do, an adventure. Life is generally mundane so any adventure is a good adventure.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘3 months off work with pay’ is closed to new replies.