Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 3 in 1 type jacket – anything good out there?
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I used to have a North Face Gortex hardshell with a zip in fleece that was an ideal everyday jacket for wearing to and from work for example, or out and about at the weekend, walking the dog etc. I need a similar thing, but IMHO North Face quality has dropped off since it got embraced by all the chavs, and there’s also a general trend of seperate hardshells with multi layering underneath. This is great if on an expedition, but not so good if you want to take your layers off in one hit, it also keeps the shell and insualtion together, so you alkways find them. Open to ideas, and not averse to spending decent money if required.

I went to Go Outdoors today, and all the hardshells that looked good had no function to attach anything warm, and the 3 in 1 jackets they did have just didn’t cut it. I really liked the Rab hardshells for example.

somouk
    Free Member

Most still have the functionality just not zip in, normally press stud loops.

North Face quality has been as good as ever just lately, my girlfriends north face 3 in 1 gets worn every day and is going strong after two years.

Go Outdoors however do have a very narrow range of kit in just lately so try taking a wonder around Cotswold and the like as well to see what else is available but search online for cheaper prices.

I think in general these days there is a trend to having a separate hard shell and mid layer, primarily because it means we pay more for both separately than one combined so more money for the manufacturer.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Tried Jack Wolfskin? They had a lot of 3in1s last time I looked.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve just got a nice Berghaus one from Go Outdoors – outer is AQ2 rather than Goretex, which seems to take about £100 off the price and has been fine today when out in the sleet/hail/rain

somouk
    Free Member

AQ2 is a good fabric and if I remember rightly will withstand most of if not more of the water that goretex will.

It has been replaced with AQ2.5 though which is possibly why the AQ2 jackets are cheaper at the moment? There is also AQ3 which is a little tougher wearing and more like goretex 3 layer design.

aP
    Free Member

I bought a Jack Wolfskin 3in1 jacket a couple of years ago, and its been quite good – its not waterproof though – only windstopper, but works quite well except in heavy rain. The inner shag pile fleece jacket on its own is very popular with the ladies, shall I say. Much to my girlfriend’s disgust.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Cheers folks. I will check out the Berghaus, Jack Wolfskin and will also look at a TNF jacket too. Jack Wolfskin look good, lots of options.

sharkattack

North Face ….. got embraced by all the chavs

Really?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘3 in 1 type jacket – anything good out there?’ is closed to new replies.