Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • 3 door cars/Coupe's and kids. I don't need another car do I?
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

So, mini RRR is 5 months old and currently we manage to stuff his car seat onto a base on the back seats with not too much trouble.

The car has a reasonable boot too (the size of most saloons) but what I’m wondering of the singletrack masses is at what point will I actually need to change my car?! Has anyone managed to put the next size of car seat (age 1+?) on a base in a 3 door or coupe?

I do like my car and my sneaky plan was to make do with it for a few more years so I can then justify not getting rid of it with “oh it’s 8/9/10 years old now, not worth trading in, we’ll just have to get an additional family car”

Thoughts? Ta

brassneck

Wave it goodbye now. Get it over with.

I cried as my Lotus went, it’s nothing to be ashamed of 🙂

beaker

I had a three series coupe when Miss Beaker was a couple of years old. Her seat was a pain to move between cars admittedly but it was workable. What’s the harm in seeing how you get on before buying a new car?

mogrim

While I’m sure the next size seat will fit without any major problems, life really is a lot easier with 4/5 doors. Wave it goodbye; in another 20 years or so you can be the balding idiot trying to reclaim his youth in a Boxster or whatever 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The car has a reasonable boot too (the size of most saloons)…

That’s huge! Keep it.

I can get a complete bike in my car’s boot, but that beats it hands down.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you’re sticking with one sprog then you may get away with it until they’re just too big to fit in the back (depends on leg room). But before then you may have an issue with weight – a toddler can weigh more than you think and getting them through a smallish gap into a car seat can be tricky, although this may only apply to MrsRRR.
    If #2 comes along you can kiss your car goodbye. Plan on either changing/getting an additional car at some point in the next few years anyway.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

:-(…

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Pimp – boom tish.

To clarify (for the easily confused).. My boot is about the size of most family saloon car’s boots!

sharkbait
    Free Member

…oh yeah, and when they start school (comes and goes quicker than you can imagine) you’ll become a taxi service and will need to cart miniRRR + mates around the countryside on a regular basis at which point you’ll need a minibus.
    Pre-kids it’s all about you, post kids it’s all about them – which is not a bad thing.

johndoh
    Free Member

I ordered a TT (on a three-year lease) and found out we were pregnant with twins before it had even arrived 🙂

Unfortunately as soon as the lease was up, it was Large 5 Door Estate World for me…

legend
    Free Member

What car are we actually talking about here? Probably not relevant to the discussion, but useful in the decision to mock or sympathise

Yak

The slippery slope starts now!

Think about day to day, loading kids and potential bad backs from difficult to reach car seats. Also consider holidays. Camping stuff, kids bikes, your bikes, etc. Most folk I know battle on for a bit with a small car, adding ever larger roofboxes….then eventually sack it all off and get the biggest car (or van) that they can.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Pimp – boom tish.

😆 😉

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Mrs TG loaths big cars, and reluctantly got a 1 series when our first arrived, and when no. 2 arrived 13 months later, it was plenty big enough.

When she returned to work, and doesn’t ferry them around as much as she did, went back to a mini hatch. The boys are now 3 and 4, and both stage 2 ??? Seats in the back. Not a great deal of room for much in boot, but if just taking them out to park or something, don’t need all the guff that babies need.

That said, when we needed to take a double pram, and tons of nappies and clothes for a day out when they were younger, I ended up selling my golf, and getting a Range Rover Sport,

julians
    Free Member

Me and the wife both had 3 door cars from the birth of julian junior up to now (he’s 3 and a bit now).

I had a BMW M3, and the wife has a Honda civic type R, they were both absolutely fine for fitting him in, no issues whatsoever, despite what all our friends said about having to get rid of it as soon as he came along.

I guess it depends on the exact car in question, but as a rule I’d say you dont need to change cars.

I now have a 5 door car, and I actually find it more of a pain getting him in and out than the 3 door, because you’ve got to lean across to clip the seat belt in, whereas in the 3 door, you just stand in front of him and do it.

We still have the civic and have no plans to change it, like I say we find it easier than the 5 door car.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Ok, so let the mockery begin.

The cars nowt too special – 2008 (not relevant) BMW (only relevant for purposes of mockery) 3 series coupe (slightly relevant)

So, it’s not a bad size and currently the bike gets posted in the letter box boot opening as the rear seats fold flat.

I think with 2 mini RRR’s it could be an issue but I am already wondering how we’re going to get everything down to the Gower for a mini holiday with friends next month!

My car is on HP and I’m nearly half way through the agreement so could return it without penalty in October, or pay a settlement figure. My work do not bad lease deals but they’re still quite hefty for an equivalent car (320d is about £460 a month but includes everything, insurance, maintenance , tyres etc)

Hmmm

julians
    Free Member

The cars nowt too special – 2008 (not relevant) BMW (only relevant for purposes of mockery) 3 series coupe (slightly relevant)

for the purposes of this discussion thats the same as my M3, it really has not been an issue at all for us. Everything fits in fine, I certainly would not be changing the car simply because its a 3 door.

hora
    Free Member

Don’t give up on life just because you’ve become a Father. Your son needs you to look vaguely cool later on. Not a dour/dull **** later who will just embarrase him.

don’t start the rot. Don’t do ‘practical’. What next, value jeans?

Yak

Roof bars, 2x bike carriers and a long half-width roof box will give you the space you need for a while. Its when your mini RRRs have bikes that you’ll be stuffed. So you are a few years off that.

Probably the biggest issue for now is the kiddie loading in and out and whether there’s knackered back potential. Julians had no probs with this.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Julians- where did you put everything?!

Even the pram and a suitcase takes up most of the boot (no different to many cars I guess)

Also what size/age car seats did you have fitted?

Hora – value jeans?! Cords my boy, cords

julians
    Free Member

pushchair/pram and suitcase in the boot, everything else squeezed in the gaps in the boot. We did deliberately choose a pram/pushchair that folded up quite small, some of the prams/pushchair are massive. On a side note, we found that it was the cheaper prams/pushchairs that folded up smallest, so that was an unexpected surprise. The larger more high end prams were all quite large.

We used a newborn rear facing seat for the first year’ish, this was one that you take in and out of the car with the child. After that we moved to a forward facing group 1/2/3 seat that pretty much stayed fixed in the car ( I think it was a recaro child seat), and just recently we have switched to a cheapo group 2/3/4 high backed booster seat.

I could still fit my bike in the boot with the child seat still in the car, just folded down the smaller of the split folding seats. That way I didnt have to faff about removing the child seat everytime I wanted to go biking.

The e92 3 series coupe has a huge boot. The 5 door car I have now is much smaller.

What I would say is, once you get past the rear facing seat, then just buy 2 child seats and leave them permanently in both cars (assuming you have 2 cars) rather than try and move them between cars.

mindmap3
    Free Member

It’ll be reet – I see a lady doing the school run most mornings with three smallish kids in an M3 cab.

Although quick estates are cool…fact! I wish I’d bought a toruing rather than the ‘sensible’ saloon that I bought last summer….its rubbish for carrying stuff.

There does seem to be obsession with getting a huge cars as soon as you have a kid which seesm odd to me*. We never had massive cars when I was a kid and we coped fine with family camping trips etc.

* This view will no doubt change when ouur first arrives in September.

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t do ‘practical’. What next, value jeans?

Practical needn’t be too boring – I have an A6 Avant 3.0tdi V6 multitronic 4wd Black Edition.

It does surprise the Golf GTi drivers 😈

jambalaya
    Free Member

We tried for a bit with a 3 Series Coupe (and we had another 4dr car) but in the end we ditched it. 20 years later I got another 2 door car.

In respect of @mindmap’s point I would caution over buying a big car (especially with 1 kid) as the bigger car just means more stuff. A normal 4dr hatchback is fine for 1-2 kids, by all means get bigger for the bike but you don’t need it for kids !

hora
    Free Member

I have an A6 Avant 3.0tdi V6 multitronic 4wd Black Edition.

Slightly ironic but the length of the name and you needing to say the length of the name smacks of over compensation.. 😉

We had a Ford Puma for a year with our then 2yr old. It only went as it needed extensive welding. Neither of us blinked at practically as we enjoyed the car too much.

As mentioned ^ with one kid- no problem. With two, I wouldn’t go down the coupe route. It’d be straight into a large Passat estate with a big engine.

mindmap3
    Free Member

A normal 4dr hatchback is fine for 1-2 kids

Exactly! My folks had Astras and Golfs when we were kids and all four us plus camping stuff fitted fine.

If we ever need something more practical, it’ll be a quick estate.

Yak

We used to fit camping stuff for 4, including event stuff and bikes for 4 in an 03 5door civic with a roof box and 2no. bike carriers. It was a right squeeze though. You had to pack every last bit of cabin volume with stuff. Kids couldn’t see each other as the bit in-between was packed solid. Stopped in car fighting though. 🙂

So its doable, but was always an epic task that required a lot of time.

D0NK

depends how well behaved kids are, youngest son has a bit of a temper and regularly has a full on strop whilst strapping him into his seat, not what you need first thing in the morning and pushed for time. I really can’t imagine trying to man handle him into his car seat in a 3 door, tricky enough with a 5.

(once strapped in he tends to immediately cease his strop and is all smiles and chatty for the journey – 🙄 )

hora
    Free Member

Fear of your driving?

rickmeister

Thule do roofboxes, loads of growing room for RRR there… probaly last till 14 yrs old…

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Julians- cheers for the info. I think perhaps the crucial thing is what you said about leaving the seats in. We currently clip mini RRR’s seat into an isofix base but it’s getting harder the heavier he gets. I guess if his next seat remains in place it’s lot easier (although ideally I’d prefer a rear facing seat).

Hmm, stuff to think about certainly.

Next question – if the wife passes her driving test month do I let her drive my car or buy an old banger for her to tootle about in? 😀

ads678

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Rickmeister – I’m 6’3″ so if the lad grows to be my sort of size we’re going to need the biggest roof box that’ll fit..

johndoh
    Free Member

Slightly ironic but the length of the name and you needing to say the length of the name smacks of over compensation..

Nah, just gloating 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Ads678 – no need to edit your post. Passats are nice cars! I also love the Pyrenees 😀

dragon
    Free Member

You really don’t need a huge car just because you have a baby. I know someone who coped perfectly well with a Pug 107. Admittedly a bit bigger is nicer, but as mentioned above a Golf sized car with 5 doors should be fine.

dude
    Free Member

I had a mk1 Clio 3 door for the first year, and managed perfectly with it. The wife had a Laguna, but even for a week away, the Clio was the first choice, as it was much more fun to drive. Only got rid of it as I didn’t need a car for a while.

jambalaya
    Free Member

RRR it’s probably worth thinking about some of the higher cars so putting mini-RRR into the car isn’t too backbreaking. We had a Rav4 which was excellent, small enough for easy parking, good load carrier with low load lip. Cars like the Merc A class are good for that too.

loddrik
    Free Member

Got a Touran and the wife has a three door Golf GTi. We’d still manage fine if we didn’t have the Touran. It’s the decent sized boot you need more than rear doors.

8 years ago I bought a Boxster S. The day after I got it my wife found out she was pregnant with our eldest. I kidded myself that I could keep it as she had a MINI. I sold the Porsche after 8 weeks….

I’ll echo slightly higher cars being easier though. The Touran was perfect when our youngest was a baby as it meant not having to bend down to put seats in the back.

Funnily enough the easiest car the wife ever had for putting a baby seat in the back was a VW Lupo GTi. Yes it was tiny but the doors were huge and the passenger seat went really far forward and near horizontal when getting in back so it acted like a rear facing seat to perch on when sticking baby seat in back. Boot was bloody miniscule though, so that got sold too…

pixelmix
    Free Member

We have a 3 door Scirocco and a son who is getting on for 1. Still in the rear facing seat with the base left in the car 99% of the time, so not quite as big as your child.

It is a bit of a faff getting him in, particularly for Mrs Pixelmix, who is quite petite. The combined weight of child and seat is a hassle for her, and the alternative is crouching in behind the passenger seat to put him in the seat which is already in the car. As a result, we are swapping the Rocco for a 5dr GTI later this year (Mrs Pixelmix suggested something practical but doesn’t want a big car, so I interpreted that as a GTI with 5 doors). Whilst the 3 door is manageable, life will be a bit easier with the extra doors.

On rare occasions where we have had him in the back of other people’s cars, it’s been a breeze to pop him in and out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘3 door cars/Coupe's and kids. I don't need another car do I?’ is closed to new replies.