Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 3 days in Whistler, any tips
  • johnikgriff
    Free Member

Off for a family holiday to BC. Touring round a lot, but have “negotiated” 3 days in Whislter. Hoping to do a day and a half on my own and half a day with my 10 year old lad, he’s already up doing the black at Llandegla and most of CYB.

As it may be my only chance to ride there I was thinking of all out and getting a guide to sort it for us. Do you think that’s over kill and if not any recommendations?

Cheers

fergal
    Free Member

Wrong thread

sweaman2
    Free Member

Personally I think a guide will be helpful as the gradings are a little “different” to in the UK. One trail may be black due to steepness / roots / rocks and another black as it has a huge amount of woodwork; having a guide would mean you won’t learn that the hard way and loose time / energy. It would also mean less stopping to check maps etc.

Bearback (on this forum some of the time) is often recommended and can probably help or point you the way of someone who can.

As well as the bike park don’t discount other areas in the valley and also squamish; good trails just without the uplift.

Make sure when you hire they switch the brakes around….

If you’re spending some time in BC I hope you’re also planning some sea kayaking as for me that’s almost as special as the biking….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8s1DQF]
    Morning paddle[/url] by Mark and Liz in Canada, on Flickr

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

A day in the bike park, a morning round Lost Lake, to get a feel for the more XC stuff, then the remaining 1.5 days riding the valley trails?

You can use the interactive WORCA trail map app on your phone.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Fergal Why wrong thread? It’s about bikes/riding, did you not read it?

sharkattack

I can’t think of anything worse than having ONLY three days to spend there!

But seriously, if you want to ride DH or just fairly mellow, gravity assisted trails just jump in the park and crack on. Start on B-line or any blue trail and work your way up. You can’t get lost.

Loads of maps available for the valley trails and Lost Lake.

Personally I’d actually kill someone for three days in the bikepark right now. Just show me who and have my plane ticket waiting.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

When you off?

johnikgriff
    Free Member

The end of May, but get to Whistler around June 5th

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Garbo will be closed so lower mtn only 🙁

eshershore
    Free Member

@johnnikgriff

best advise?

take it easy, enjoy the scenery and the amazing flow / vertical drop of the trails but stay safe as its easy to spanner yourself on a short holiday in Whistler

happy trails!

BearBack
    Free Member

Hi John,
    Drop us a line if you’re looking to make the most of your riding time whilst skipping the stuff the map can’t tell you isn’t the best riding available for you!

Bear Back Biking

Worth noting however, is that you will be in town for Outerbike.
    Still in its planning stages, and whilst I prefer not to point guests elsewhere, $220 gets you a pass onto the demo program with twice daily scheduled guided tours.
    Worth a look and we’ll be working with the organisers to help co-ordinate the guiding. It wont be our typically excellent private/custom guiding experience and you’d be at the mercy of other riders ability, but the value is high all things considered.
    Whistelr Outerbike

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Ill give Bearback a well deserved big up too!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘3 days in Whistler, any tips’ is closed to new replies.