Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 3 days in New York
  • nickjb
    Free Member

We’ve got few days in New York just before Xmas. Looking for things to do. We like museums and exhibitions especially if they are bit alternative. Art Deco architecture. Animal related attractions. Keen to get a good view so maybe up the Rockefeller or a boat trip. I’d also like some good food (man v food style classic new York rather than posh) although we will need posh as well. Anything else.

LHS
    Free Member

Food (lunch) – Johns Pizza in Bleeker street – you just have to do it one day for lunch

Food (nice) – depends on what you like, one of my favourite places to go is Gramercy Tavern on E20th street.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, John’s is excellent. Top of the Rock for the views and Loeb’s Boathouse for breakfast.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

The Tenement Museum is brilliant. And Top of the Rock.

fasthaggis

Have you been before ?

get the ferry

The High Line walk

Moma

St paddys (if you like big organs)

Top of the rock
    Then go skating at the bottom

Central park

Twodogs

Food…Eataly for lunch (Flatiron district)

johnx2
    Free Member

It could feel really cold – layers is where it’s at.

Get to grips with the subway right away so you don’t waste time.

Use Open Table or similar to book restaurants an hour or so before you rock up.

Oh, and don’t expect your smartphone to work like it would in Europe.

We were there for five nights about a week ago. Quite enjoyed poking round shops and bars in trendy bits of Brooklyn. Basically Hackney.

wonderchump
    Free Member

Grimaldi’s under the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side – Best Pizza in town

Campbell Apartments at Grand Central + Vanderbilt Hall for Christmas market

Union Square Christmas market

+1 for Top of the Rock

Smith & Wallenski’s for steaks – Forget the upstairs restaurant and go for the bar – same food better atmosphere

Natural History Museum is excellent

+1 for Moma

MrWoppit
    Free Member

You lucky, lucky b’stard.

That’s all I have to say about that. :mrgreen:

fasthaggis

Basically Hackney 🙂
    Did you cross the Brooklyn bridge and laugh at all the shouty cyclists ?

johnx2
    Free Member

Oh yes! The fixie count was disappointingly lower than I’d’ve expected…

digga
    Free Member

wonderchump – Member
    Grimaldi’s under the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side – Best Pizza in tow

They also have a crabby-looking but very good place uptown too if you check their website – in an old church around 14th street IIRC.

Good pizza.

jambalaya
    Free Member

This time of year in NYC is great with all the Christmas decorations

Rockerfeller Centre definitely, skating, tree, top of the rock (I prefer it at night as lights are magical – book tickets it sells out so turning up on spec is risky)
    Animal related – Central Park zoo and penguins ? Central park generally inc boating lake (bar / restaurant there)- I prefer the skating at woolman rink in the park than rockerfeller (much larger, cool with trees and tops of buildings visible)
    High Line walk is good
    Flat Iron Building / Empire State (view from rockerfeller) or anywhere on 5th / Chrysler / Grand Central – extra-ordinary architecture built in the 30’s amazing
    China Town / Little Italy (we had a great pizza in Lombardis – get the small for 2 !)
    Do you like steaks – Palm / Palm 2 or Peter Lugars in Brooklyn

MOMA as above (I find the Guggenheim always disappointing, the outside is the most interesting)
    If you want to see how grand NY living was go to Frick Manions/Gallery – traditional art collection and building – pay what you want Sunday mornings (ie $1 if you wish). Upper East side around Madison is nice to walk around too.
    9/11 memorial (we didn’t go into the museum as the queue was long)

Staten Island Ferry for view of the skyline / statue of liberty or the cheesy but fun circle line tour.

johnx2
    Free Member

Rght now regular MoMA entry gets you into the Matisse cutouts, which are quite something. Consider getting membership if you’re going to buy much in the shop. The discount we got on a couple of watches more than paid for it. And you get to saunter past the queues and a free visit. (We didn’t as we’d gone a couple of days earlier. Like fools.)

nickjb
    Free Member

Thanks all. Useful stuff

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’d second MoMA, something for everyone in there, it covers a huge range of modern art. The MET is awesome too. I got totally lost in there. The Frick is also worth a visit. Tiny compared to the MoMA and the MET but well worth a visit.

The Highline is really good for a walk. When you’re at the bottom end it’s worth heading down to Gansevoort Street. Lots of nice shops, including Rapha if you like that sort of thing.

I love the area around Houston and Bowery too.

If you want a good view of the Statue of Liberty but don’t want to pay fr a boat tour, the Staten Island ferry is free and leaves every 15mins/30mins depending on the time of day.

Oh, and walk over the Brooklyn bridge and checkout Dumbo, cool atmosphere and good views of Manhattan.

In the summer Smorgasburg in Williamsburg is a must do, it carries on indoors over the winter. Worth a trip for really good flea market style food.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Some good suggestions already. I like Pershing Square for breakfast (will be there tomorrow), but if it’s your first trip I’d be tempted to have a loose plan and see where you end up.
    With the benefit of jet lag, you can wake up early and run or walk around Central Park, it’s fantastic. Shower, time for breakfast. Hit the Rockerfeller Centre (not as tall, but better views than the Empire State), if you’re early it’ll be fairly quiet. Whilst you’re there, there’s always filming going on in Rockefeller Plaza, can be interesting.
    Personally, perhaps controversially……., although the museums are great, if you’re on a limited visit there are better things to see/do.
    PS another vote for John’s of Bleeker Street, but make sure you get the proper one….not Joes, Jeff’s etc!!
    I like the circle line cruise round the island, others think it’s boring.
    Get a Metrocard, use the subway, it’s safe.
    Anyway, got to go, we’re taking off shortly, looking forward to it!

TrekEX8
    Free Member

And Lombardis on Spring Street does a mighty fine pizza too.
    Have a great trip!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘3 days in New York’ is closed to new replies.