Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 3 Day trip in Scotland
  • moose2008
    Free Member

Planning a 3 day ride in Scotland. Plan is to Park, Train and ride back to the car over 2 nights (3 day trip in total. Any advice on where to ride, was thinking probably Cairngorms and stopping 1 night in a B+B and one in a boffy. What is the latest in the year I could go before the midgies become too much of a problem? Any advice welcomed, it’ll be our first trip of this kind.
    Cheers.

Trekster

you could get train to Edin, bike down to GT then over to Moffat then Dumfries or Lockerbie for the train home 💡

stevemtb
    Free Member

West highland way or the Southern upland way. Never tried either but fancied both.

Trip round Skye would be pretty spectacular, Arran is meant to be good too but maybe not enough riding there for three days.

Just be grateful if you get midgies, that means it’s not raining!

stevious

Not done as a whole trip, but you could potentially do Kingussie -> Aviemore -> Braemar -> Blair Atholl then train back to Kingussie with some good riding. The aviemore -> braemar section could be quite testing though.

StirlingCrispin

Tour of the Cairngorms is an obvious one.

Park at Blair Atholl and do the circuit from there:
    http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/rr014.html

Or park in Aviemore and do Tomintoul, Braemar, Blair Atholl – train back to Aviemore.

Trekster

stevemtb – Member
    West highland way or the Southern upland way

Should have said most of my suggestion is on SupW

ahsf
    Free Member

did the west highlands way last may no midges, left van at pals in glasgow then we got train to fort bill then rode back to glasgow its better riding it south for the descents.
    stoped in kinlochleven some good rides there to do then 2nd night on loch lomond top ride.
    could still be snow up the cairngorms into june

seosamh77
    Free Member

august and september is when the midges are at their worst. though i felt they weren’t so bad last year, and we’ve had another baltic winter this year, so i’m hoping their numbers will be down again…

poly
    Free Member

Tour of the Cairngorms is an obvious one.

Park at Blair Atholl and do the circuit from there:
    http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/rr014.html.

We did that (or something very similar a few years ago) This was our route plan: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=176282

DAY 1 Blair Athol — Loch Morlich Youth Hostel,
    DAY 2 Loch Morlich Youth Hostel — via Tomintoul — Braemar Youth Hostel
    DAY 3 Braemar — Blair Athol

None of us were as fit as we should have been. Day 1 took 11 hours but we did spend some of the that sheltering from snow in the Gaick Pass! Most of it was ridable but there is some boggy carrying on Day 1 and some bits on Day 2 where we pushed. Day 2 was at least as long as day 1 – and if you arrive in Braemar at 8pm food may not be easy to source! Day 3 seemed “short” at only 5 hours!

As for bothying – the idea appeals but means you’ll need to carry food, sleeping bag etc – which is a lot of extra weight and space.

If I was doing it again I’d either train much harder or split it into 4 days – B.A. — Kingussie; K.U. — Tomintoul; Tomintoul — Braemar; Braemar — BA.

No midges in early May 09, but a route near Kinlochleven at the same time the following year did have some (but not enough to be a significant issue) – but there is always the risk of significant weather at any time of year so you need to carry appropriate gear for that (you’ll be 15+ miles from a public road / house for several bits).

stevemtb Trip round Skye would be pretty spectacular,

is there a logical route “round” Skye which avoids spending lots of time on road – or is it just day loops?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

We did a variation on poly’s route last May. Day one differed as we went up Glen Tilt and then to Aviemore via Glen Geldie and Feshie. More singletrack and better riding that the Gaick route. Day 2 was shorter as we humped up Bynack Mor and went to Braemar via the Fords of Avon and the Lairig an Laoigh. Day 3 I think would have been the same – not much variation really. I think the first day was about 8 hours in all, the second 7 and the third 4. Your day is a pretty long one and with quite a bit of fireroad. Our day two was a bit more exposed but shorter and with better, more technical riding. It’s all good though.

Another option could be parking somewhere like Dalwhinnie and going to Inverness to get the train back. Routes could include Ben Alder, the Corrieyairack and the Great Glen. Not sure that would stretch to three day but there are plenty of additional options.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘3 Day trip in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.