Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 3 Countries Tour – guided or not?
  • brooess
    Free Member

I’m going to celebrate the end of 2 years off the bike with a quick hack round the Mont Blanc massif this summer. I fancy doing it cheap/independent tho’. Is the navigation easy or best getting a guide?

If so how do I get the name of a decent MTB guide in Chamonix? And would they really be much cheaper than one of the organised trips? If I know the route, I can book the huts myself

ta

boxelder

We did it without a guide, but did miss some good bits apparently, that weren’t clear on the map. The navigation isn’t that difficult, but judging how rideable sections are can be tricky (and a pain to get wrong). If going on your own, I’d get guide/trip sorted.

higgo
    Free Member

I’m looking into this too.

There’s a wealth of info on the web for the walking route(s) but very little on bike routes.

I’ve found a couple of Google maps routes (one of which was a 4day route done by Sian and Carl from EndlessRide in Morzine). I’ve also been sent a text route description from a chap who did it over 5 days. I’m going to spend the Spring looking over the maps and trying to work out a route for myself based on the info I’ve got.

If you want the .kml files or the route description drop me a line via the email address in my profile.

brack
    Free Member

And who says that the spirit of adventure is dead?

Off to waitrose….anyone know of a good guide?

brack
    Free Member

Sorry mate sounded a tad negative.

If it were me…

I would forget the guide and find your own path. The planning,the preparation and the logistics are what makes a trip memorable.

Turning the corner and seeing that view for the first time is magical – having your guide tell you to expect a nice view around the next corner…just isn’t the same!

Ok so you miss the ‘ good bits’….but who says that they are the good bits?

The rest of the masses who have passed through like sheep following the leader?

Let the package tourists comments float clean over your head!

You did it your way…..followed your own path.

jedi

go with http://www.mbmb.com

the best

marionheck
    Free Member

I am going to do it this year without a guide. taking the missus with me, small rucksack with changes of clothes. just follow my nose….

(kind of cheating as I know the route though)

jedi

ermmm u fookin cheat!!

BigR

Higgo, I am interested in any of the info you have but can’t see your address.

marionheck
    Free Member

Higgo – email me and i will help you out with the route. dnwsmithathotmail.com

Cheers

Dave

endlessride
    Free Member

This might have gone in twice – got confused.

There you go – from the horses mouth. http://www.chaletgeorge.com/ . On the question of guide or not a guide – Sian Carl and I are happy to call ourselves professional guides, when we visit a new area we try and take a guide if we can. We don’t mind paying either! If you want to get in the most good riding for your time, a guide makes a lot of sense. If you are in it for an adventure (and aren’t bothered about ALWAYS riding the best trails) then DIY.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I agree with brack – if you don’t take a guide you risk missing some stuff but there is also a chance of finding things for yourself.

forgotmename
    Free Member

I would get a guide, its very easy to miss the little right turn through some bushes on the 2nd day, or even a left turn off of a road climb when you’ve been climbing for miles, you end up miles away, then have to ride on the road to make up lost time, which defeats the object, you will also probably miss some of the best singletrack available. MBMB are very good in my opinion, you could give the guys at zero g a bell and they may know of a guide. Im sure its doable without a guide, but what difference is 1 extra bod going to make? He or she will have local knowlege and know where to get supplies n beer from, which is usually off the route, save on stress too. Just my thoughts on the subject, il be doin it mid to late august hopefully. With mbmb.

Ambrose

I’d go solo. Spirit of adventure. perhaps you could use a gps and a reliably sourced route? Not much different from following a highlighted route on a paper map.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Agree with Brack plus there’s nothing like the buzz of recovering from a tits up situation – and they provide stories for years to come 😆

higgo
    Free Member

BigR
    Higgo, I am interested in any of the info you have but can’t see your address.

I’ve not got much info but you’re welcome to what I do have.

Email me on higgo/at/ntlworld/dot/com

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘3 Countries Tour – guided or not?’ is closed to new replies.