Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 3 bikes, 3 people in an Insignia/Vectra/Mondeo hatch type car…….
  • BlindMelon
    Free Member

….is it possible and whats the best way to fit it all inside?

toppers3933
    Free Member

Managed it in a focus several times. Split the seats, all wheels and pedals and seatposts off bikes. No problem.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

With the bikes on a rack, I’ve had 3 and 3 with a small frame tent, rucksacks, tools and cooking gear in a 1990 Fiat Panda…..! 🙂

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Stacked side by side or on top of one another?

Twin
    Free Member

Very tight in a vectra. When I fold the seats forward the floor isn’t that flat so its so hard to get stuff in.

DickBarton

Wheels off and seats off…should make racking them side-by-side easier for space…you can probably put the seatposts in some dead space between first bike and car; wheels either in between frames or in front of them (resting on the front passenger seat).

Kit goes in the space behind the single seat still up in back and away you go.

Suspect putting them flat will make packing easier but reduce space…possibly.

Get creative with the use of the space – how much space in the frames? Can you get them lined up and a kitbag in there?

P20

Octavia estate and previously 307 estate. Fronts off, Seatposts out, bike on their side, three bikes, three people without any problems

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 people & 3 MTBs + luggage for a week cycling in Germany in a Vectra estate but did have one bike on a rack, split folding seats worked very well to fit things in.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Its in an insignia which has got a really sloping roof so I think a practice run will be required!

Have to get space for 4 days of kit as well so it will be a squeeze. I reckon the 2 passengers won’t have a good view!

crazy-legs

Easy – the Vectra is vast and the seats fold completely flat. Less so in the Mondeo and the Insignia is a bit crap cos it’s got a much more sloping roof.
    Might need a bit of fiddling to work out the best way of doing it all though. One half of the rear seats down and some juggling of bikes/kit, it’ll go.

clubber
    Free Member

I can comfortably fit two bikes in bike bags in my current model Mondeo boot without folding any seats. I can’t see 3 people plus bikes being an issue with one seat folded.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 people plus kit in an 05 Vectra, wheels & seatpost off, bikes stacked up on each other.

br
    Free Member

Whats’ wrong with a rack?

clubber
    Free Member

They burn fuel?

Tebbalot
    Free Member

I’m sure it’ll be no problem.

We’ve fit two people, five bikes in a fiesta before. Seats had to be down and the trick was to put the bikes standing (ie resting on handlebars and saddle) and alternate the orientation. So it was sort of forks, derailler, forks etc.

I’ll admit it wasn’t very comfortable since we had to have wheels on our laps but you’ll have more space so you should be fine.

Northwind

Sure it’ll go if you squeeze but it’s going to be a hassle, I’d get a rack without a doubt, a back-of-car strap-on one isn’t that expensive.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

A rack isn’t an option for a few reasons

muddydwarf
    Free Member

We get two bikes on a rack, a full size family-type tent, all the riding kit, all the camping kit incl. a table/bedding/stove etc and suitcases into/onto a Ford Ka!

singlecrack
    Free Member

I have a Insignia estate as a hire car at the moment 09 plate and it has no more room than my 54 plate Focus 😯

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘3 bikes, 3 people in an Insignia/Vectra/Mondeo hatch type car…….’ is closed to new replies.