Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 3-4 days riding in the Lakes. Where should we go?
  • bonzodog
    Free Member

A mate & meself are heading to the Lake District toward the end of May for 3 or 4 days. We plan to get a b&b somewhere and put in a few rides. We’re travelling from the Isle of Man, so wont jave any local route knowledge so I suppose trail centres are the way to go.

Any recommendations of places to go where we can ride for 3 days without doing the same routes each day? Nothing booked so far, so open to suggestions.

Cheers

steveh

Whinlatter trail centre is worth a ride, you’ll do both loops in one day easily. The only other trail centre in the lakes is at Grizeadle. It short and not that good imho, only a hour to do, 2 max.

Best bet would be to go into biketreks in Ambleside and ask for some advice. They marked up and OS map for me a few years ago with routes on and I still use it to this day. Lots of good natural riding which is what you want to find. Ambleside is a pretty good base too as you can do good riding from the door.

sprocker
    Free Member

Vertebrate Publishings do a book of Lake District Routes its about £16 but there is enough for several trips in there.

http://www.v-outdoor.co.uk/products/mountain_biking/lake_district_mountain_biking_-_essential_trails.php

andywhit
    Free Member

Seems a shame to go to the lakes and ride trail centres. Sfb has lots of lakes routes on the bogtrotters website.

UK-FLATLANDER

Ride the bridleway on the side of Ulswater, reasonably techy with great views

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The only other trail centre in the lakes is at Grizeadle. It short and not that good imho, only a hour to do, 2 max.

this always makes me laugh – there is a lot of brilliant riding in Grizedale, and I’m still finding new bits. Don’t judge it by the NFT (and even that’s not bad)

most of these routes are in or near The Lakes

crazy-legs

The trail centres in the Lakes are both very short: this is because the Lakes is far and away the best biking in the UK and has an incredible amount of “natural” riding.
    Pop into Keswick MTB, BikeTreks (Ambleside), Wheelbase (Staveley) or Evans (Kendal), they all have route maps and guidebooks and the staff will be able to offer advice, you may even be able to hook up with them on a staff ride.
    ST Issue 44 has a Lakes Route Guide in it and WMB/MBR often have a Lakes ride in there somewhere too (although the MBR one will almost invariably be the wrong way round…) Have a look on the Bogtrotters website too for the route maps that are linked to the photo albums.

As for where to stay, Ambleside is good and central although it gets VERY busy during holidays. If you’re thinking about May B/H then book NOW and be prepared to pay over the odds for it. Coniston makes a good base too.

dr_death
    Free Member

Kewswick Mountain Bikes in (you’ve guessed it) Keswick sell marked up maps for a couple of quid and are very helpful to boot. Don’t just ride the trail centres, it’s a complete waste.

The NFT is OK but a lot of the other stuff around Grizedale is far better and I have heard nothing but bad reports about Whinlatter from the guys I know that have ridden it.

Try Ride the Lakes or bogtrotters website for more info, alternatively let some of the guys over at uk-mtb know when you are coming over and we’ll sort out some guided tours, as I’m sure some of the locals from here would.

dr_death
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I’d second the veterbrate publishing book as well, very good.

mattyh222
    Free Member

I live in Ambleside and always out and about on the trails around the area, give me an email if you need a helping hand showing you where to go. As everyone else has said Whinlatter is fun but short, Grizedale is too old and not fn and once again SHORT!the best riding is linking the bridleways around the area together, Langdales are a great place and not over-run with tourists and slow go’ers. Biketreks have a good few set out routes to just look at or to buy, Wheelbase is great and has the longsleddle/kentmere/garbon pass route which is such good fun! If your looking at anywhere to stay, try Windermere, my girlfriend’s mum owns a B&B there…check out http://www.haisthorpe-house.co.uk – great rooms, great location for the pubs, great breakfast, and warm all year round!

Matt

Fagus
    Free Member

Just post on here when you are coming over. There’s plenty who will take you out.

grumm
    Free Member

Get the VG guide – most of the routes in their are great imo.

Grizedale is my favourite place purely in terms of the riding – loads of fantastic mega rocky bridleways. Stavely/Kentmere area is also great.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Thanks for all your comments & tips people 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Grizedale is my favourite place purely in terms of the riding – loads of fantastic mega rocky bridleways.

Yep, don’t miss Grizedale – I’m just back from a weekend up there myself and we took in a few more of those crazy rocky bridleways

Utterly brilliant and better than any trail centre, though using the North Face trail climb as part of the ride worked very well.

grumm
    Free Member

Yup quite like the first climb of the NFT apart from the silly boardwalk! Good way to get up to Parkamoor by doing the first two bits of the NFT from the visitor’s centre then turning left off the fireroad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘3-4 days riding in the Lakes. Where should we go?’ is closed to new replies.