Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 2×9/2×10 set ups.
  • MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve only ever run 3×9 set ups previously so need some help with this.

At the moment my full susser has an xt M770 3×9 crank with the outer ring removed and replaced with a bash guard so its 2×9 with 22t/32t up front with an 11-32 cassette. The chainrings and cassette are worn so i was thinking of either swapping to something like a 26t/36t with 11-34 cassette as i rarely use the granny ring and spin out too easily with the 32t or just changing the whole lot to 2×10 which would give me the added benefit of a clutch mech.

Can somebody tell me which chainrings i’d need to use with my cranks as i’m confused by all the different options and not sure which ones will fit 😳

Also would i need a long or medium cage rear mech? Current one is a long cage

tomaso
    Free Member

104mm BCD for the middle\big rings. Shimano are always cheap enough.
    Can’t remember what 4 bolt granny ring is ?

Long cage will work and Merlin have deals on them ATM. I run a medium cage clutch Mech 2×10 with a 36/22 chainset.

welshfarmer

Long or medium will work. 104 and 64 is the PCB you need. It really is as simple as buying 2 new chainrings and a new cassette (but only because you need one!) I run 12/36 rear cassettes on both my 2×9 bikes. On the front I have 24/36 on one and 24/38 on tother. All front rings are Blackspire ones bought on offer from CRC. Beware you don’t buy a single speed one as the big ring on the front as they do not have the ramps needed to move the chain between the rings.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Decided to keep it 2×9 and change to 26/36 up front and probably use an 11-34 cassette.

Didn’t realise Shimano did that 12-36 cassette though as i wasn’t looking beyond slx or xt, are there any drawbacks to it compared to an slx/xt cassette other than the weight?

I guess these chainrings will be ok?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-m660-inner-chainring/rp-prod38188

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-m660-middle-chainring/rp-prod38187

ac282

The main draw back with a 12-36 vs a 11-34 is that it gives you narrower range of gears.

jedimaster
    Free Member

i’m currently running 2X9 – 22/36 XT on the front with a bash plus 11-34 X0 long cage on the back. It’s amazing 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘2×9/2×10 set ups.’ is closed to new replies.