Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2×9 speed to 1×10 – a few questions
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

I have a 2×9 speed plus bash guard and stinger and am thinking of changing to a 1×10 set up for weight loss and simplicity but have a few questions.

1. Will my current hub (Hope Pro 2) accept a 10 speed cassette?
    2. Will my current hub accept an 11 speed cassette?
    3. Will my current chainset work?
    4. How do I know what chainline I need?

Thanks

nickc

1. Yes.
    2. A Shimano one, yes
    3. Yes, you may need a Narrow/Wide chain ring to help keep your chain in place, and think about a clutched mech.
    4. I placed mine in the middle ring (I’m using an old 3x XT chainset). I’d mount it on the outer of a 2x to start off with and see where that was, if the chain line needs adjusting I’d add or remove BB spacers (assuming ext. BB)

richmtb

1 Yes

2 Yes as long as its a Shimano cassette and not a SRAM cassette that needs an XD driver

3 Yes (your chainrings don’t really care about the cassette spacing at the rear)

4 Middle ring position on a triple chainset is about ideal. If your existing chainset is a dedicated double you might want to put the chainring on the behind the crank arms rather than in front. I’ve not found chain line to be crucial on a 1 x 10 set up anyway

5. Ditch the stinger and get a narrow wide ring

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Do you mean cranks, chain & Cassette?
    4) This depends on your cassette choice (obviously the front ring must go in the old middle ring position) if you go with a standard 11-36t you will get away with running it as it is. If you go with an expanded Cassette 40t or 42t, and have a Shimano BB, it will probably have a spacer on the drive side, which IME spaces it for a triple to fit. If your BB is threaded you can swap it to the other side or just use thick crush washers to space the front ring inward so the chain line is straightest on the centre ring of the cassette.

MRanger156
    Free Member

3) – I just mean BB and cranks – will buy a narrow wide chainring. Is there any benefit in buying a dedicated single ring chainset?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Ignore “old middle ring position” in my post as I have just noticed you said 2x not 3x, the rest still stands.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Assuming it’s a Shimano 104 BCD outer ring chainset with hollow through axle then yes.

nickc

Is there any benefit in buying a dedicated single ring chainset?

No. Unless you want to, but it isn’t necessary

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

2×9 speed plus bash guard

That could even turn out to be a triple crankset anyway…

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ Ecky-Thump – Seems likely.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Don’t bother going 1×10, go XT 1×11 instead. Went from 3×9 to 1×10 (rear mech, shifter, expander, cassette and chain) myself. Discounted 1×11 thinking it would be to expensive. Only after fitting everything I realised it’d only cost me an extra £20 to 1×11 😥

MRanger156
    Free Member

It is a triple chainset.

Tempted by 1×11, thought my old hub wouldn’t be able to accept an 11 speed cassette but appears it will.

nickc

I wouldn’t go back, lighten and simplify.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

If you are prepared to pay the extra for 11sp new shifter, mech the works do it, it’s an improvement over 10sp.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2×9 speed to 1×10 – a few questions’ is closed to new replies.