Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 2×9 or 2×10?
  • petersnell
    Free Member

Hi upgrading my current 1×9 chainset as I’m struggling a bit on hills. Apart from the obvious mtfu and get fitter should I just go for a 2×9 setup or is it worthwhile spending more and getting a while new 2×10 chainset? If I go 2×9 what shifter do I need for front derailler?
    Bike is a Cove hustler if that’s relevant and used for days out at various trail centers and mucking about in the local woods.
    Cheers!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

What ratios are you running at the moment?

Have you considered 1×10? 30/36 will be a good improvement over 34/34, for example. You’ll need a chainring, mech, shifter, chain and cassette but won’t need to change cranks.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Should read 32/36 although 30 is also available…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2×10 it’s current and easily available when you need spares (in bike shops when you need it that day)

Any shifter will work you can still use your 9sp front up there and the same shifter.

cookeaa

The thing is most 10 speed doubles and triples come with a minimum 24t Granny ring, where 9 speed chainsets came with a 22t, 22-32 essentially provides the same bottom end gearing as 24-36 your lowest gear on a 2×9 is essentially the same as on a 2×10… you’ll gain no more climbing advantage in that respect…

Of course you have scope to go a bit higher on the bigger chainring with 10 speed, meaning you can have a slightly broader overall gearing range, and of course you gain an extra increment as you shuffle up the cassette which might smooth things out for you a bit…

What chainset are you currently using? do you actually need a whole new chainset or just a granny, Front mech and shifter?

But if its a choice between buying a whole new drivetrain or just replacing the chain cassette and rings on a 9 speed, I’d save the pennies and just replace the worn bits for now, until the shifters and mechs are really bolloxed… or you feel fit enough to go to 1×10…

9 speed spares are still readily available, keeping it going for another 12 months is more money saved and more time for shimano to roll out new products, helping reduce the privce of 10 speed when you do make the switch…

I_Ache
    Free Member

I was struggling with my 34/36 so dropper the chainring to a 32. I couldn’t believe how much easier it was. I think I was riding in harder gears just because I knew I could drop down if I had to.

Are you using a chain device at the moment? The drag that it creates is surprisingly substantial compared to running a thick/thin ring and no guides.

I say go 1×10 with a 32t thick/thin and an 11-36 cassette. If I can manage with that most people can.

petersnell
    Free Member

Running an old raceface crank with a single 34t hope chainring at the moment, slx cassette 11-34 I think! Chain device aswell.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘2×9 or 2×10?’ is closed to new replies.