Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 2×9 – 22/36 with 11-34 – 36-11 setup
  • timb34
    Free Member

Inspired by this thread : http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/going-from-3×9-to-2×9-whats-involved, (but not wanting to butt in to the conversation about chain tensioners) I’m currently on 44/32/22 with an 11-36 cassette.

Interested by the idea of fitting a 36t middle and bash (previous plan of buying a 2×10 crankset is on hold for budgetry reasons), and a search shows that there are lots of folk who have done this and can use 36-11. But currently if I stay in the middle ring and try to use the 11 at the back the chain rubs on the front mech cage.

Is this because it’s set up for a triple? If I go 36 & bash can I just tighten up the cable tension to allow 36-11 to work without rubbing?

kiwijohn

Yes.

timb34
    Free Member

Ta.

Will have a play at lunchtime and see if I can get 32-11 to work ok.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If you are running 9 spd you don’t have the option of 11-36 casette you can have 12-36 or 11-34 .

nosedive
    Free Member

i got mine set up fine without rubbing and that is with 3x front shifter and 3x front mech with the movement limited with the stop screw

sparkyrhino

think ive sorted mine(3x9speeed to double and bash,limit screw adjusted) at last,took a link out of the chain and dropped height of front mech,very slight rubbing now in extremes which i can live with

timb34
    Free Member

Neil, I’m going to change from 32 to 36 middle ring on the front, and keep 11-34 at the back (type in the first post – should read 11-34 cassette!)

Playing with the tension and H limit screw seems to allow me to use all of the cassette in the middle ring (with the 32t middle and the 42t big ring still in place). It’s pretty close though – the cable tension needs to be just right to allow 32-11 and 32-34 without the chain touching the front mech cage. There’s also a problem if I backpedal whilst in the biggest cogs at the back, although this might be because it’s all pretty worn.

But it’s encouraging enough for me to press on with a 2×9 conversion. Not sure if I can be bothered with a bashguard. I don’t hit the big ring that often, and if I stack it going downhill then the chain will be on the big ring anyway. I might just cut the tabs off the old big ring and use them as spacers to keep the bolt length the same.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘2×9 – 22/36 with 11-34 – 36-11 setup’ is closed to new replies.