Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 2×10 to 1×10 questions
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m wondering about trying 1×10.

Just now I’ve got a full XT drivetrain, 38/24 at the front, 11-36 at the back and a SGS clutch mech.

I rarely use the 24×36 combination, managing with 24×32 or 24×28 for climbing, so if I got a 30t chainring I should get the same low gear with 30×36 as I would with 24×32 – both 0.8 according to the tables (or the one I looked at anyway).

30t chainring leaves a fairly low high gear, but my riding is all slogging up, whizzing down, repeat, so I hardly ever go into the 38 chainring, and certainly not 38×11. 30×11 is 2.7, so would only be like losing the 11 and 13 sprockets – 38×15 being 2.5.

My questions three…

1) Am I about right with my maths ^ ?

2) What about the SGS cage? Will that cause an issue?

3) If that’s ok, I’m really just looking at £25 for a SS N/W ring to try this, but how do I make sure I get the chain line correct?

john690
    Free Member

Hey buddy I run a 1 x 10 on my heckler put a oneup 40t sprocket & a zee rear mech 30t narrow wide up front it’s absolutely fantastic

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks, sounds promising.

I’m wondering if the cage length is an issue? Am I right in thinking that the Zee mech has a shorter cage than my XT SGS one?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    john690
    Free Member

Yea oneup designed the 40t for the zee mech so you swap out the 15 & 17 sprockets & put a 16 in & the 40 behind the 36 on your cassette I’ve run mine for a few months now with out any bother

thegreatape
    Free Member

Any other thoughts on a) using the long cage mech with 1×10, and b) what bolts/spacers I might need to get the chainline right on a 2×10 crankset?

john690
    Free Member

The long cage mech won’t cause you any problems & if you go for the 40t sprocket on the rear it is really the ideal one to use, I found chain line wasn’t a problem as you aren’t really altering anything, what bike are you riding mate & what cranks

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s a Bird Zero, the current cranks are XT with 2 chainrings

john690
    Free Member

I reckon you won’t have any probs, just bolt on a narrow wide chainring maybe a bash guard a 40t sprocket at the back a few extra chain links & you’ve practically got a 1 x 11 set up for a tenth of the price

thegreatape
    Free Member

Might try it then with just the chainring first then, and see if I can cope without the 40t sprocket.

john690
    Free Member

Yea the narrow wide chainrings are great I took my stinger off & I haven’t dropped the chain since doing so I would recommend the bash guard as the chainrings are made out of aluminium so easy to wreck if you hit them

thegreatape
    Free Member

Already got a Blackspire Bruiser on there so that can stay. Will I get a decent enough chain line from a single ring to the 36t sprocket if I don’t shuffle it across a few mm, given that it will replace the outer of two not the middle of three?

john690
    Free Member

If it’s in the same place as an existing chainring I can’t see why it would be a problem mate

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ok, easy enough to move it if not. Cheers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘2×10 to 1×10 questions’ is closed to new replies.