Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2×10 or 1×10
  • willzs
    Free Member

Looking at swapping my 3×9 to either of the above. Which would people recommend and why?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Are you strong enough to ride within the range of 1×10 everywhere you ride?

andycs

I went from 3×9 to 1×10. The triple had a 32t middle ring with 34 being the largest on the rear. I spent a month or so just using the middle ring, reasoning that if I could manage 32 front and 34 rear, then going to 10 speed rear 36 would be fine. Not very scientific I know, but at least you will know if 1×10 is suitable for you.

stevied
    Free Member

^ that’s what I did but was on 2 x 10 and wanted to see if I could do 1 x 10. I had 28/40T chainrings and a 34 cassette. All was good so went for a 30T ring and 11/36 cassette..

Northwind

2×10 if you’re not sure tbh, it should be the default option for most people. But as above, you can test it out with your existing kit, just ride within the gears you’ll have with 1×10 and see how it works out.

I was doing a race last year, which had a long and just slightly unpleasantly steep climb between stages- the number of people on 1×10 pushing up it was crazy, it just took a couple of extra degrees to have them all off and broken. So do plan for the big rides not just the everyday rides!

faustus

I’ve recently gone from 3×9 11/28 to 1×10 36-11/36, and i’m very pleased with it (on a 26er hardtail). Have a good look at the Sheldon Brown gear calculator before deciding. The 1×10 change only meant loosing 1 or 2 of the very lowest and highest gears, and there’s more than enough for climbing anything. It will depend on your normal use of gears with the current 3×9. If you use the middle ring lots, and prefer a higher cadence or spinning up hills slowly, then 2×10 might be better. The 3x crank will be perfect spacing for 1×10 on the middle position, saving you a new crankset. Either way, having a clutch mech with 10 speed makes your drivetrain a lot quieter too.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Went from 3×9 to 2×10. Got XT cranks and rear mech.
    After a while I had a week of getting chain suck on my 28t and also the chain kept dropping off on jumps so I got a 30t narrow/wide and replaced the two rings. Its hard work sometimes but I either sweat more and suffer or get off an push (might get a hope t-rex though) Worth it for the simplicity and not having to care about a front gearing system, but maybe you just do what I did. Didn’t cost a massive amount.

jankalman
    Free Member

2×10 is much more better I think, it´s more dynamic! 😉

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Just switched from 2×10 to 1×10 as I rarely use the very lowest gears anyway.

The trigger was crashing a chainring on a rock so I took the opportunity to get a Wolf tooth Drop Stop N/W 36t. Free postage from the States was a sweetener but I didn’t have much choice as this was the only ring I could find that was compatible with my cranks.

Not ridden any big hills yet though, I’ll let you know how I get on.

ryan91
    Free Member

Had all three on my last bike, I’ve stuck with a 1×10 with an expander ring on my new one. I’d be tempted to drop from a 34t chainring, but otherwise it feels secure and right having only one gear changer to use. Leaves an ideal space for a dropper post lever too…

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Seeing as no-one else has said it – go 1×11
    The shifting is awesome, it removes the gearing issues of 1×10, and now X1 is out the entry cost has come down dramatically.

chestrockwell

2×10. Why limit your gears for a weight saving you’ll never notice?

alpin
    Free Member

do you ride hills? or mountains?

would like to go 1×10, but i’d either be spinning out on the flat or busting my knees on the climbs…

willzs
    Free Member

I’m thinking 2×10 is going to be the way for me to go so I’ve got a few more gears. Now to decide which brands to go for

mattsccm
    Free Member

Do you like gaps in the gears? You can have sweeter changing with more up front. 1t gaps are nicer IMHO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2×10 or 1×10’ is closed to new replies.