Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 2×10 newbie question
  • DaddyJim
    Free Member

I’ve had a bike with 2×10 slx set up for about a week now, and I’m finding its not that happy in the big ring to big cog and to a point little ring little cog, is this normal for a 2×10, I thought that one advantage of 2×10 is that you can cross gear??

rwills2
    Free Member

Could simply be due to gear cross over, probably recommended you avoid riding with those combinations. Just shift down/up on your front rings depending whats required. My road bike doesn’t enjoy it when I do what you have described.

See:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lt4KlaowrY[/video]

winston
    Free Member

I’ve just gone to a 2×10 set and am finding the same. I think the problem is that on a 3x setup you rarely use the granny ring and so there is a subconscious aversion to using it on a 2x as well – resulting in rubbish chain lines. Once you get into the mindset that the small ring is there to be used then you can get better chain lines in most ratio’s than 3x. However I kind of think that a 2x set up is purely designed to get you to a 1x as I’m just getting sick of faffing with the front shifter full stop!

darrenspink
    Free Member

Just moved from a 40.28t double to a single 30t. You do get into the flow of not doing the big to big, but sometime to the point where you hardly us the 40t (or whatever you have up front) at all, apart from on roads. Thus I moved to a single thick thin. I’ll move from 30 to 32 and beyond as my legs adjust.

ThePinkster

The point of 2×10 is that you should be able to get the full spread of gears at the back using either ring at the front, and I’ve never experienced your issue on mine.

Are you using a dedicated 2 ring crankset or a modified 3 ring?

Also, what width BB shell do you have? If it’s a 68mm do you have the spacer on the correct side? (I’m assuming you’ve not got a PF BB here)

DaddyJim
    Free Member

As far as I know its a dedicated 2×10 crankset, it came on the bike which is a Genesis High Lat 2×10. So could be a set up issue?

ThePinkster

If it came on the bike it sounds like something hasn’t been set up quite right but couldn’t really say without looking at it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘2×10 newbie question’ is closed to new replies.