Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2×10 medium cage?
  • philstone

I’m about to go fully 2×10 on my mojo, running SLX double up front (24 36) with a 36-11 rear cassette, 37t config.. I know that shimano say 35t I think for the new saint etc medium cage but bearing in mind I’ll probably only use granny with the top 3 at the rear will it be an issue? Was previously running 11-34 9sp with medium saint and that was fine…

Cheers!

kevj
    Free Member

I’m running 2×10 on my mojo with 28/38 up front and 11/36 on the rear and an XT med cage mech with no issues at all. And I can get every ratio including both big rings smoothly.

HTH.

PaulD
    Free Member

Cut chain for large+large + 2 rivets as normal.

Just possible you will run out of cage for small+small, but it will still work…any slack will be OK until you start bouncing down a rock garden.

PaulD

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neninja
    Free Member

I’m running 38/28 and 11-36 and went with the long cage just to be on the safe side.

With you running slightly smaller front rings I’d have thought it would be fine.

JPcapel
    Free Member

Will be no problem at all.
    New shadow+ (with clutch system) mechs worth a consideration as reduce chain slap greatly, so in event of using granny and lower section of rear cassette, controls chain to much greater effect even when mech is at extremes of operation angles.

andybloomer
    Free Member

Sorry to slightly hijack thread but related question:

Will a medium cage be okay for 1 x 10 with 11-36 cassette and something between 30 and 36 chainring? Just one ring to consider so hoping it’ll be fine but quite new to MTBing so unsure.

Ta

timmys

Will a medium cage be okay for 1 x 10 with 11-36 cassette and something between 30 and 36 chainring? Just one ring to consider so hoping it’ll be fine but quite new to MTBing so unsure.

Yes. Your situation requires less chain capacity than the same cassette with double chainrings as detailed above.

andybloomer
    Free Member

Cheers fella

perthmtb
    Free Member

You realise the new Saint is small cage only? 2013 saint is 1×10 exclusively 🙁

renton
    Free Member

Off topic mate but I’ve sent you an email ref your mates 456
    Cheers

Steve

philstone

You realise the new Saint is small cage only? 2013 saint is 1×10 exclusively

Yeah – I do now 🙁

Might try running 1×10 instead then – just would’ve been nice to have granny as an option for when i’m feeling really lazy!

philstone

You realise the new Saint is small cage only? 2013 saint is 1×10 exclusively

Just thinking though, what would be the effects of running it on a 2×10 though, whats the worst that could happen – just a slack chain if I dropped onto granny gear? (which if I did I’d be running 26 front 36 rear anyway…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2×10 medium cage?’ is closed to new replies.