Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 2×10 – do I really need a bash?
  • mattjevans
    Free Member

I just converted my Canyon Nerve AM to 2×10 (using existing Deore 32/24 rings, I will likely up the 32 to a 34 at some point) and installed the Canyon chain guide (like a Stinger, basically).

I have shortened the chain using big rings (over chain guide) plus 2 links measurement. I have locked out the shift to the large ring and (or so I though) had tweaked the H screw to the point where it would only just shift up (ie any lower and it can’t get off the granny) in the low gears.

However, on my last ride, I managed to shift the chain right off onto the cranks (forwards, not backpedalling). I believe this was in a shift off the granny while towards the small end of the cassette (since I just replicated it in my driveway in those gears…).

So what’s the solution here – do I need a bashring or do I just need to be much more conscious of getting out of the granny as soon as I’m in the middle of the cassette? Or am I wrong that I’ve got the front mech set right?

Obviously going 1×10 would be best solution but I just don’t think I’m strong enough yet. On a good day I can get around places I regularly ride with no granny, but if I’m feeling a bit tired (and I am over 40, and just a little bit overweight, with 2 kids, so this is not infrequent) I find I need the bail-out at times.

Advice appreciated, criticism and general slagging also accepted.

soobalias
    Free Member

bit more fine tuning on the front mech limit screw.

or just stick a bash on there, if you are keeping the granny ring, you are not gonna die over the extra few grammes of a bash ring

(consider going 36t on the front rather than 34t….IMO/E)

chris_db
    Free Member

I am doing the exact same mod to my Nerve AM9 as we speak.

I have just tried to adjust the front mech (XT 3x) to account for the change in throw and height and it’s too big for the smaller system, I can’t get it low enough to the larger ring.

Just ordered an M786 front mech to suit the smaller chainring (XT M785 cranks 24/38) setup.

I wasn’t planning on fitting a chain device as I have the Shadow+ r/mech.

So, that’s my thoughts, I’m sure there’ll be others.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes get one, it will save you smacking your legs on the rings or the chain on the floor. It will also save over shifting. It also looks better.

And yes 22-26 is a better combo for me and a few others.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I manage OK without a bash. It does this if I shift while back-pedalling or going over a bump. Suggest fine-tuning the front mech a bit more. Maybe move a BB spacer from left to right side to alter the chainline.

ads678

Get a bash guard, they’re cool and girls love em.

mattjevans
    Free Member

chris_db, I didn’t quite follow the problem. It shifted granny to middle before, and all we’ve done is take off the large ring? Why does it need to be lower? And there’s no change in throw at all is there?

j40aja
    Free Member

Which shifters are fitted?
    I’m considering doing this to my Nerve XC8 (double and bash using existing 24, 32 rings) but have changed the SLX shifters to XT and can alter the shifter from a triple to double.
    Thought I might not even have to alter the front mech limit screws doing it this way.

DickBarton

I’ve been 2×10 for a year now and not lost the chain once…but a mate who has the same bike looses his chain constantly (or did until he put a bash ring/chain aligner thing on). I’ve gone to Shimano from SRAM – SRAM X-9 front mech and chainset, rest if Shimano and it works fine…either I’m not riding hard enough (very very likely) or the adjustment is fine.

Only time I’ve thought a bashgaurd would be good was when I misjusdged a rock and polished off 2 teeth from the big ring.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

I fitted one after seeing a chap open up his calf with the big ring…it came off the five and the hope with a black spire cd went on….no problems with either,a lot quieter and I don’t miss the big ring at all,and girls love it!

chris_db
    Free Member

Hi Matt. I’ve changed the chain set from an XTR triple to the new XT double. The chainrings aren’t the same size and the direct mount front mech won’t allow me to lower it so I get the right clearance on the new chainset.

If I’d kept the XTR and fitted a bash plate (can you get one to fit?) I would agree with you.

Of course, I remain to be corrected as usual….(:0)

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

Ive got this and this for sale, sort the problem out no sweats….

shoot me a price…

Front Deraillure and Shifter here

ISCG 05 2×10 guide

mattjevans
    Free Member

chris, i didnt catch that you’d changed the cranks. never heard of a bash for the xtr

mines an AM 6.0 so I’m at the opposite end using Deore…

mattjevans
    Free Member

Tweaked front mech up and down, left and right. Still either over-shifts or can’t get from granny to 32.

So bought a Hope bash ring…

clubber
    Free Member

No bash for me. I can’t see the point unless you actually do bash the ring(!). I do have a double specific front mech which I found helped a lot in stopping the chain coming off.

mattjevans
    Free Member

thought about that and the part is probably the same price as the bash, but the fitting is so much easier (for me…)

bikeind
    Free Member

highly recommend using a bash for sure.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘2×10 – do I really need a bash?’ is closed to new replies.