• This topic has 21 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 2ndhand BMX'S – Which one?
  • hora
    Free Member

Any suggestions???

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

whatever fits your budget.

hora
    Free Member

What if I chose a ‘saracen’ when for a tiny bit more I could have Santa Cruz’ of the bmx world?

thomthumb
    Free Member

an adult sized one

hora
    Free Member

? You dont know do you

caspian
    Free Member

Post links of what you’re thinking of and we’ll critique them for you. That said, spend £400 on any brand new complete and you can’t go too far wrong. As you are coming from mtb I assume, don’t buy smaller than 21″ top tube or 8″ rise bars. Avoid mtb brands

Edit I know you said 2nd hand but there seems to be a ten fold price difference between top end mtb vs bmx, when perhaps only five fold is justified. Go new

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀 You could do that?

Depends on budget, but look for a full cromoly frame, 3 piece cranks (profiles are good), alloy wheels with sealed bearings and a cassette hub, big bars (8 inch or more rise, 27 inch or wider). There’s not alot to it.

Get one with a 21″ top tube or more as you’re quite tall.

If you want a trails frame get a slacker headangle and longer back end, if it’s a street machine then a tighter head angle and shorter backend is better. Wouldnt worry to much about the little details like that though.

hora
    Free Member
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Some decent brands off the top of my head:

Fit, Fly, S&M, Proper, BSD, Sunday, FBM, United, WetHePeople, Macneil

caspian
    Free Member

No!! The ebay link I mean. Agree with DTF’s comments

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Basically, if you look for something with a 21″ toptube, that will limit you to only decent stuff.

Cheap shite doesn’t come with a choice of tt lengths, so it won’t be mentioned.

Also, definitely get big bars, had a go on my mates bmx at the weekend. 10″ rise and about 29 or 30″ wide, felt brilliant compared to my old slam bars

rp16v
    Free Member

Depends on your size really I’m 5’8 and have a 20.5 eastern night tramp frame for sale fitted me spot on only rode it twice sins buying the frame set,has full removable hardwear integrated headset and 19mm mid bb already fitted can do for £100 posted to start u off

takisawa2

I tried a WeThePeople, & compared to the few cheapo jobbies I’ve blagged a go on, it was in another league.

6079smithw
    Free Member
    _tom_
    Free Member

David covered it all pretty much.

I have a Sunday Model C which is a 24, but feels really awesome. I can 180 it as easily as I could my 20″ Sunday so it must be ok! Feels way more stable at speed and I actually have the confidence to take it off jumps properly. Sundays have nice specs as a lot of them come with odyssey parts, and sundays own brand aren’t too bad either.

Hora has discovered Manchester indoor BMX track, so I suspect he wants a race bike rather than a street/park bike.

Have a look on the bmxtalk.com classifieds. You’ll want something with a 21.5″ or 22″ top tube.

Euro
    Free Member

Any suggestions???

I’d suggest you not bother with a bmx. If you found the back end of a 456 dead, wait til you get a ride on a bmx. Then there’s the lack of suspension for you ruin service. And finally, by your own admission, you like to pootle. This style of riding is wasted on a bmx. They are not the correct tool for a safe bimble, to get anything from riding a bmx you have to commit yourself and this approach can result in falling off and getting hurt. Again, i get the impression that’s not your thing.

Seriously, i’d look to spend the money on something else if i were you. If you insist on having one, then buy a popular model you can easily sell on 😀

hora
    Free Member

I’ve already ridden one twice on a very decent track.

Not a very good pic – but the only one not too blurred- heres me on my taster sesh

Euro
    Free Member

You do realise you are going the wrong way 😀

Looks like a great facility btw.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This has languished in the backopf my shed for quite a long while! £100 delivered to an M6 service station of your choice.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-country-bikes-bmx-was-800-when-new-yours-for-165

hora
    Free Member

They wont let you go from the top of the start ramp until towards the end of the taster session to ensure everyone can handle the bike so to get enough speed to start the run I had to ride up the ramp to get some velocity! Start ramp set off- The head coach doesn’t like it when you dont use your brakes going down there…. I know as she told me off 😀

28lb is that heavy? Is yours more of a park/skills bike?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘2ndhand BMX'S – Which one?’ is closed to new replies.