Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2nd interview – yikes
  • bennbuoy
    Free Member

Situation is that there is major organisational change going on at my place of work.

My role is effectively gone. Redundancy package will be good if compromise agreement is signed. Allows me to pay the house off with spare. Wife works and earns enough to keep us going if I cannot get a job quickly. Not ideal but better than most I suspect.

In preparation I uploaded a profile on linkedin and was approached by recruiter last week who shared a job spec and asked whether I would be interested. Certainly would be!

So went to interview today with potential new boss and junior HR person. Within 20 mins of interview ending recruiter called to advise they wanted me back next week for a 2nd interview with potential new bosses boss and HR manager. 2 folks getting second interview inc myself.

So, whilst I am delighted I am also bricking it. I do not want to fail getting this job as it sounds good, I can do it well and whilst redundancy won’t be fun this could be the perfect storm…goodbye followed by hello…but it could be the imperfect one unfortunately.

Imperfect because I’m in a bit of no-mans land as jobs have to be applied for in my current place, I sense I won’t get one but will have to wait some weeks to find out before being advised at redundancy risk, etc. Additionally potential new employer may want reference and my current employer typically do not provide and I’d be concerned about current finding out I had been for interview, etc.

B*gg*r!

somouk
    Free Member

Be careful of the timeline for the redundancy bit. I was talking to a council employee last week who was given redundancy notice 3 months ago and they’re still there with no firm end date in sight.

stumpyjon

Don’t worry about the reference, most comapnies will only give out factual references like job title, salary etc. If they won’t even confirm that I doubt your potential new employer will hold it against you.

Just take the second interview as it comes, they shouldn’t approach your current employer unless you verbally accept the new role at the least. If the potential new job is good just go for it, if you get redundancy as well it’s a bonus.

matt_outandabout

You have nothing to loose by going to the second interview.

Only when you are offered the job will you have to make a decision.

Have you the redundancy in written and signed contract with dates etc on already?

toby1

Depends how much redundancy you will be turning down and availability of replacement jobs. There’s cost associated with cutting yourself out of the redundancy process and risk associated with not. Worth writing down the costs and benefits of both. The decision might be more obvious than you think.

scaredypants

second interviews usually involve a swimwear parade round – you need to make an impression

Good luck !

the-muffin-man

I’d be staying for redundacy – lump sums that pay off your mortgage and leave you some spare don’t come around too often! Especially as you can manage with out working.

peteimpreza

“I’d be staying for redundacy – lump sums that pay off your mortgage and leave you some spare don’t come around too often! Especially as you can manage with out working. “

This +1 million

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t worry about the reference, most comapnies will only give out factual references like job title, salary etc. If they won’t even confirm that I doubt your potential new employer will hold it against you.

I thought these days all a company can do is confirm that you worked there?

plyphon
    Free Member

I thought these days all a company can do is confirm that you worked there?

Nah, they can give a positive reference, but not a negative.

nicko74

Do the 2nd interview – there’s no decision to be made unless you get made an offer. And if you do, you have some leeway on start dates, so it may still work

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2nd interview – yikes’ is closed to new replies.