Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2nd hand tyres… how miles will a road tyre do?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

What’s the verdict on buying used tyres?
    I’ve been offered some conti GP 4 seasons for £25 that have done about 1000 miles.
    Can buy new pair for just over £50.
    False economy buying used?

crikey
    Free Member

Depends.

They might go on and do another 4000 miles, but they might not.

Offer £20 and walk away if refused, and if the back one is worn significantly more than the front, just walk away.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Is this back tyre thats a bit square worth having (I know nothing about road tyres)??

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not worth £25 imo.

orangeboy
    Free Member

The front looks to have some life left
    But is it ever worth paying for secondhand tyres

cloudnine
    Free Member

OK.. bought a new set instead

matt_outandabout

I always buy second hand – but am happy to buy bargains as they come along rather than *need* specific models or makes, or be found without a tyre…

Ben_H

I give away my used tyres, even if they look like they have some life in them!

We have a bit of a culture in my locale of putting unwanted but usable stuff outside our front gates. For the last few years I’ve put my old tyres (inc. some GP 4 Season 28c tyres with 1,500 miles on them) outside with a note – they go within a few hours.

For balance, I’ve picked up some cracking CDs and children’s toys this way… 🙂

wordnumb
    Free Member

But is it ever worth paying for secondhand tyres ?

Yes. But usually only if they are listed with the words ‘I tried these for a couple of rides and didn’t get on with them’.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Is this back tyre thats a bit square worth having (I know nothing about road tyres)??

I’d never buy a squared-off tyre, thats usually where I *ahem* retire them for turbo trainer duties.

Related Q; do people actually swap front and rears around to extend life out of a pair or just run the rear til its dead and replace?

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve done it on tyres I’ve noticed to wear alarmingly quickly, but not generally.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand tyres… how miles will a road tyre do?’ is closed to new replies.