Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 2nd hand mac
  • spchantler
    Free Member

can you register with apple if you buy a 2nd hand mac? should i even bother getting a 2nd hand one?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Register for what?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Typically you get yourself an iTunes / App Sotre account, software updates are mostly free and you can buy paid upgrades if you wish via App Store.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nukeproofriding
    Free Member

should i even bother getting a 2nd hand one?

Buy a new one if you like, but they last forever in my experience. If it was registered with apple and it’s still within warranty (was it bought with an extended warranty or not?) then ring them and change the ownership. The previous owner will need to do this for you.

They’re great computers, and they last forever. Only thing you miss out on is they start to phase out your software updates past 2 or 3 years of age. But it isn’t a massive issue.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I bought a 2006 mac mini 4.5 years ago. The first paid s/w update was done this year to10.6.8 for compatibility reasons. Still running only 1gb ram but really needs more now. An apple id authorises itunes on the mac and other gubbins, you just set this up with an email addy. In 4.5 years it’s never blue screened and I don’t run AV.

tonyd

I’m typing this on a late 2007 MacBook Pro. The only problem I’ve had with it was a failed graphics card or something, which was a known issue and fixed for free by Apple (when it was well out of warranty).

I paid for an upgrade to Snow Leopard, can’t remember how much (£25?), and will soon be paying £13 to upgrade to Mountain Lion. That’s all the money I’ve spent on it since it was new.

footflaps

Still running only 1gb ram but really needs more now.

I’ve just swapped out 2x 2Gb for 2x 4G in my 2010 MBP. You can have my old RAM if you want it.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2007 iMac 24” 2.8ghz malarkey I am selling – based in Harrogate.

Make me an offer… 😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

JD… I’d be interested in the iMac. Let me have an idea of what your after – email in profile.

seosamh77
    Free Member

nukeproofriding – Member

They’re great computers, and they last foreverThey don’t any more than any other computer, there’s a ridiculous amount of broken macs in my work, ranging from 5 to 10 year old.

Kuco

My old Power book fried its logic board 🙁 Still replaced it with a MacBook though.

cheez0
    Free Member

I got one o these years ago for a dabble into the dark side..

Hadn’t touched it for 3years or so, plugged it in and off it went the other day!

might flog it one day, but i just love the look of the thing and its, ‘fold down’ motherboard layout.

jambalaya
    Free Member

In my experience Mac’s do last well and they don’t suffer from the windows style obsolescence (ie each os upgrade meant a new machine as old one didn’t have enough horse power) They are premium machines so youd expect them to last better than cheap windows machines. My macbook and mac mini are both 5 years old, had to replace battery but original part from apple was £100

If you can afford a new one I’d be tempted to go with that only as I think you’ll keep it a long time. Otherwise a good second hand machine will serve you well

johndoh
    Free Member

Shark – I’ll mail you from work tomorrow

RichPenny
    Free Member

That’s a kind offer foot flaps, though I have a feeling it will only take 2x 1gb 🙁 will do a little research and get in touch.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I have had a 2009 MB Pro since new and have used it every day at work since then as we’ll as all my personal stuff at home. Battery showed a service alert recently so took it to apple and they swapped it for free. Also just bought my missus a 2006 white MacBook which runs Lion but not mountain lion, but only cost me £250 and is like new as the palm rest and keyboard have just been replaced under warranty. I’d never buy another non apple laptop again. have a brand new all singing windows one at work and the bloody thing can’t stay on its feet for more than a day without it either crashing or becoming so slow its unusable!

RichPenny
    Free Member

I looked it up footflaps, I don’t think it’s going to work 😥

Ah well cheers for the offer 🙂

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Op, yes you can “register with Apple”. You can register for Apple care on a 2nd hand Mac. I’ve done it several times.

Top tips:make sure the device is less than a year old to start with or buy a machine that has Apple Care already.

Buy your Apple Care from trusted sellers on eBay, they are much cheaper than buying direct from Apple.

footflaps

I looked it up footflaps, I don’t think it’s going to work

Ah well cheers for the offer

No worries, I’m sure someone else will take it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand mac’ is closed to new replies.