Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2nd Hand Isla Values
  • gastromonkey
    Free Member

A friend is trying to buy an Isla Bike with 24″ wheels on ebay. How much should they be expecting to pay for a decent example?

tomhoward

More than anyone else?

Search completed listings to see how much they’ve been going for?

drinfinity
    Free Member

A reasonable Beinn 24 will go for £245- 295. A really good one in sparkly Teal or another limited edition colour could go up to £350.

They are a premium to buy, but you will make most of it back when it moves on to the next rider.

There is a Facebook group PREOWNED ISLABIKES FOR SALE which always has plenty of choice, but if one comes up you fancy be quick! I bought one the day it was posted, and the seller already had a backup offer by the time I got there.

aracer
    Free Member

Recommended as a place to go if you’re buying – I’m a member, but sold ours on ebay 😉

oh, and in answer to the question, given anticipated inflation in the new prices, a little less than you’ll sell it for!

bensales
    Free Member

I sold the lad’s Cnoc 16 through the Facebook group. Got £170 with no negotiation when it was 3 years old. Paid £230 for it.

I doubt I’ll see the same depreciation on his current Hoy even if it’s as good as the equivalent Isla.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

I sold my daughters Beinn 26 last week for £320. Cost £400 two years ago. It was a really nice condition but she used it a lot.

MoreCashThanDash

I appreciate that Isla set the standard on kids bikes, and if you can afford a new one or a second one, good on you. I understand that people only lose £60-£80 in depreciation from the examples above.

Both my kids started on second hand Ridgebacks, Treks, Spesh and Carreras, many found on here! Never paid more than £100, all got ridden and well used, often by both kids, never lost more than £40 – £10 per year – when selling them on.

Just depends if you can afford the original cost. (My youngest now on a Frog btw, as MrsMC decided we could afford it. Eldest on an Inbred and coveting my Soul now he is my height 🙄 )

aracer
    Free Member

I’m expecting to lose nothing on the one I’ve just bought s/h (for less than the new price of any Frog or Hoy etc. equivalent, yet in great nick), there’s even a reasonable chance it will be an investment! The last one I sold I got back almost exactly what I paid for it.

edit: having just checked the prices on ebay, I’m expecting to get back very close to what I paid for the one I bought new, and possibly more.

slackboy

I’ve got a red one, two years old, that might be for sale. Based in rossendale so not too far from you.

I’d say eBay used prices are about 20% less than the current rrp due bikes that aren’t obviously abused or significantly older models ( the grey ones for example)

The beinn 26 i was looking at went for £340 against an rrp of £419

deejayen
    Free Member

Do you ever see Beinn 29s for sale?

aracer
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve really looked, but given they’re adult bikes they’re not going to have the turnover of the smaller ones (and they haven’t been out that long), so I’d imagine they’re quite scarce.

Not that I’m sure of the merits of one compared to other adult bikes.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I bought a beinn 24 for our Lad a few years ago. Replaced the grios and pedals and after a while bought some new off road tyres. had a couple of years use and sold it on for £200 with the extra tyres etc. Seemed reasonable to me.
    Looked at the 26″ wheel hardtail with the suspension fork and even second hand they seemed expensive.
    Bought a 14″ kona bike and sold all the parts that didnt seem child friendly and replaced with good used parts.
    The only part I couldnt source were short cranks with a small chain ring. I bought these direct from Isla bikes I saved a lot of money building it.

this is just before it was finished

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2nd Hand Isla Values’ is closed to new replies.