Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 2nd hand iPad 1st Gen or New Google Nexus?
  • squin
    Free Member

You lot seem to know your stuff, so what’s the opinion out there?

Thanks,

Stu.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

a friend has the Nexus which is very nice and seems slick and the clarity on the screen is much nicer than my Ipad2. Android for the Nexus so easier to do your own thing with I suppose. The Nexus is smaller than the Ipad too so dependant upon what you want it for you may need to look at that. Dont know much else i’m afraid!

Cletus

Different classes of device imo.

For sofa surfing the iPad wins. For out and about the Nexus is better.

I would be concerned that maybe the iPad 1 will become poorly supported by future apps as well.

fisha
    Free Member

Both are good. I have a 1st gen iPad … to be honest, its starting to show its age a little. Things just dont quite load as fast as the current iPad 2 ( or Retina one ). Also, there are more and more apps that are clearly designed with the iPad 2 in mind and have features that the 1st gen doesn’t support.

Be honest with yourself about what your going to use it for?

Some of that may require the bigger screen, some of it may require the more modern faster processor of the nexus.

I’ll also add that the iPad is great for about the house, but it feels a smidgen too big for out and about.

Having messed around with the nexus 7, its a much more portable unit ( personally )

If I was in your position, I’d personally buy the Nexus 7.

unovolo
    Free Member

One thing regarding the 1st Gen Ipad is that although its a lovely bit of kit it seems that everytime Apple do a update for IOS it gets slower and slower to respond most noticeble when using Safari.

I have just replaced mine with the Nexus 7 ,overall very pleased with it I do occasionally miss the screen real estate,but I do use it to read ebooks a lot which size wise its more suited to than the Ipad.

For me if you are going to use it predominately at home for browsing the web,watching movies then the Ipad might be more suited ,however if taking out and about and reading books,gaming etc then the Nexus.

If you go for the Ipad I would try and stretch to a 2nd hand/refurbished Ipad 2 though.

CountZero

I’ll also add that the iPad is great for about the house, but it feels a smidgen too big for out and about.

Certainly true. I do take mine out sometimes in my courier bag, if I’m around town or shopping in Bath, it’s nice to have when sat in a coffee shop having a bite and a drink, and I sometimes take it out when I’m taking photos, ‘cos it’s so damned good to copy pics to from the camera and view them on a decent size screen. Uploading to the web is easier too.
    Done it using the phone, but trying to edit is such a phaff!
    On a day to day basis, the Pad is to big for regular carry.
    There is the *rumoured* iPad Mini/Micro/Nano/whatever, that might be worth hanging on until the 12th to see what Apple announce; a 7-7.85″ screen would be very portable indeed.

iamtheresurrection

If you do much typing then buy the iPad.

I’m typing this on a Nexus 7 and have tried a couple of keyboards but typing is a poor experience. For just reading and browsing the Nexus 7 is impressive.

I like Android, but the app choice is significantly better on iOS (if you need them).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand iPad 1st Gen or New Google Nexus?’ is closed to new replies.