Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 2nd hand Heckler – what to look for?
  • nedrapier

Any problem areas? tubes/ junctions prone to cracking, knocking from bottomed out shock, that sort of thing?

Someone I know might be offered one by a workmate, he asked what I thought. I’ve said go for it.

But I don’t know much about them other than the fact that loads of people love them. I wouldn’t mind giving him some more advice – he’s not had many bikes.

Cheers!

Bregante

What year? There were issues with the pinch bolts on the swing arms on the 07-08 models. If you search mtbr there’s a few threads on it.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/2007-heckler-broken-pinch-bolt-502002.html

nedrapier

Just been googling (failed the google before posting test!) I had no idea they’d been in production so long. Not much of a thread without that info, is it?

Cheers for the link. I’ll find out some more.

dantsw13

The slightly newer models with the curved swing arm are pretty bombproof. Just beware they are quite a short bike. I’m 5’11 and ride a L Heckler.

carlos
    Free Member

As you say pretty bomb proof and IMO a great all round bike (I’m on my 2nd)

Same as above really in that the Pinch bolts were a bit of an issue on the pre 09 (I think) and it was changed to a collet style axle which is much more robust. They are quite short in the top tube so Defo check for fit/sizing. You get heal rub on the rear triangle, not heard of any frame failings, they run well on 150 or 160 forks, The ones with the large volume can shocks can feel a bit soft through the travel (I had mine push tuned as I didn’t like the feel)

Other than that, they are great fun up and down

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I think it was 2008 to 2010 where the rear swing arm had the pinch bolts, they revised it in 2011. The older Heckler 5.0 is a good bike too, still ride mine, easier to change the bearings with basic tools and size up a little bit larger too, my old medium is slightly bigger than my 2011 medium. As said, pretty much a bombproof bike and in my opinion an ideal UK bike as there’s loads of mud clearance and a simple single pivot.

scruff
    Free Member

Mine is a 2012 I think, its had 2 changes of bearings and thats it. Frame is coming up for sale if anyone’s interested (black / large) email in profile.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Hi scruff, I put a wanted ad up about a month ago for a large Heckler, you replied and I emailed you but not heard anything since, email me some photos if you do decide to sell ??

scruff
    Free Member

Yes will do, still waiting for new frame 👿

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Okey Dokey 8)

tpbiker
    Free Member

I had one from 2011. Very short bike, and quite steep.

I’d definitely consider an angleset if I was buying one, I had one on my old one and it made it a bit better.

Climbed like a dog if I remember correctly

scruff
    Free Member

Kojaklollipop, have emailed you.

hillsplease

A 2004 one. Had to change the bearings after 8 years. Pro pack kit was £35 which was as easy as you like. I like mine and have ridden part of a 24hr solo on it. Massive mud clearance and I like a travel adjust fork to deal with the less than stellar climbing. Haven’t run over 160mm fork on it, simple coil shock works well if going somewhere exciting.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand Heckler – what to look for?’ is closed to new replies.