Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2nd hand Dslr is this a good deal
  • retrogirl
    Free Member

Hi I’m looking at buying a Dslr and was thinking of going second hand to save a bit of money and also to see how I go. I found a Nikon 3100 in a camera shop selling for £159 with image stabilisation lens and came away thinking it was a good deal. I’m thinking of going to buy it but just sang to know is it a good deal or should I save up and go for the latest model with all the bells and whistles?

mikey74
    Free Member

What’s the shutter count and what lens does it come with? It sounds a good price.

tlr

All depends which lens.

This well respected second hand website has a bunch of d3100s;

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-nikon-digital-slr-cameras/nikon-d3100/

The usual wisdom where cameras are concerned is not to worry too much about the body, as most are capable of taking fantastic pictures, but spend the money on lenses as this is where you will see a huge difference in image quality.

And learn to use some processing software like Lightroom to get the best out of your pictures.

Have fun.

ctk
    Free Member

D3200 is a big leap up from the D3100. Probably worth the extra £xx.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’d expect the lens is the 18-55 kit lens. It’s not a great lens – the AF is slow, the manual focus ring is tiny and vague, and there’s quite a bit of distortion in the glass; however! It’s just fine for getting going and learning how to use the SLR body. I’m from the school of learning with a fixed/prime lens – I believe it makes one think more about composition and helps to connect the photographer with the world they’re capturing – so I’d think about looking for a used 35mm or 50mm lens to replace the kit lens.

kerley
    Free Member

It is not a great deal. As above you could get the body for £99 and they also have a 50 1.8 lens for £60 (The 50 will give better IQ and the 1.8 is good for low light, depth of field etc,.)
    Realise not everyone just wants a prime lens but I have never used anything else.

mikey74
    Free Member

The 18-55 is fine, and capable of producing some very good results. Yes, a prime would be better, but then again you could say that about virtually all zooms.

If I was going to get a prime as well, I’d get a 35 1.8.

I’m sure there are better deals if you look around (there always are), but it depends how much time you want to spend looking

geetee1972
    Free Member

The best advice I can offer that’s not already been offered is to never feel under pressure to ‘grab a bargain’ where second hand cameras are concerned.

There is a massive market for them, and huge supply for everything you could want. Whatever you’ve seen today, there will be a dozen available again in the near future so you can take your time and evaluate the best option without having to rush to grab it before it’s gone.

I would also strongly advise you not to buy from anywhere that isn’t a recognised dealer in second hand cameras. You can find lots of cheap DSLRs in those electronic pawn shops that have sprung up on the high street. They’re no cheaper than the reputable dealers but will almost certainly not help you if anything goes wrong.

Park Cameras, Wex Photographic, mpb.com, Ffordes, Clifton Cameras, Wilkinson Cameras to name the main dealers, will all have lots to choose from and offer you a six month warranty on whatever you buy.

As for the camera you’ve cirted, I can’t help you I’m afraid as I know nothing about it.

mafiafish
    Free Member

That body with a basic kit lens will produce decent pictures, but probably not a lot better than many modern compacts. It’ll be cheaper, but a lot bulkier.

However, if you buy some prime lenses (which are reasonably priced for Nikon bodies) you can then get some decent pictures and simply upgrade the body when you see fit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand Dslr is this a good deal’ is closed to new replies.