Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 2nd Hand CX bike advice
  • linchpin
    Free Member

Would this make a decent commuter, and what would you think it is worth paying? Little bit wary about the powder coating.

ebay link

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Powder Coating wouldn’t worry me particularly. If they’d used the wrong abrasive in stripping it they’d more than likely have blasted straight through the metal, and it’s not hot enough unless their oven is way off, to alter the heat treatment.

£550 would be more than I’d pay though, you can get the new one for £700 by the time you add up BC discount, quidco and find/wait for a 10% off code somewhere.

linchpin
    Free Member

Can you use BC discount and Quidco on the same purchase?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

£650 for the new one at the moment. Edit, eBay one is properly vague. Prime wheels would be a lot nicer than the stock ones though

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-comp-bike

cp

Looks like the ebay one has gone but I’d give it a very wide berth. It’s the cheaper spec frame and non-carbon fork from the CX comp, so that’s currently on halfords at 650 without any BC discount.

other ‘features’:-

It’s got mountain pull BB7’s with road levers – that’s not going to work well.

It’s got mismatched shifters – the tiagra one is going to feel very different to the tektro brake-only one. I have both on different bikes and they’re a very very different shape and feel

linchpin
    Free Member

Cheers CP, that makes me feel better for missing it. I liked the look of BB7s but hadn’t realised they were mtb ones. I would have switched to a Tiagra lever anyway, but they’re not cheap.
    I knew it would be a good idea to ask for advice here!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘2nd Hand CX bike advice’ is closed to new replies.