Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 2nd hand Car Advert- NOT AS IS SAID
  • brownpants
    Free Member

Ok.
    I’ve bought a car 5 weeks ago (off Autotrader website).
    Advert said one previous owner, CD Multichanger. Both these were not true and despite contacting dealer he said it’s Autotraders fault not his. I obviously think more of one owner cars than multiple as most people do and was not too happy when the log book arrived.
    So after contacting Consumer Direct and taking advice on Sale of Goods Act I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of redress versus the actual advert in the first place and not the actual goods I’ve bought as it would seem I can probably only reasonably expect a difference in value for the two things .
    However the car is running like a dog ( 28 day warranty ! ) and if as expected its fuel pump etc it could be a massive bill so I really want to give the car back- any ideas/suggestions –
    Thanks gang

Jakester
    Free Member

If it’s a sale by description then the goods must be as described. Also, goods must be fit for purpose – and what is fit for purpose depends on the particulars of the sale ie a private individual purchasing from an advert may reasonably expect a car that runs without obvious problems unless they were pointed out beforehand.

As to the actual misdescription, what is the actual loss you suffered? CD Multichanger is fairly easy to quantify, but one extra owner isn’t.

I would look to the running like a nail issue and not the CD/extra owner if you want to reject the car.

What sort of car? How old? Main dealer or camel coated indie?

Dekerf
    Free Member

I was lead to believe that any car purchased from a dealer had a 3 month warrenty. It’s down to them having specalist knowledge. Speak to them about it running poor, that is your first concern

If they don’t want to help, it’s trading standards.

As for the cd player and owners, you may have some come back, but really it was down to you to check before buying

Sandwich

Go in and talk, but have the Trading Standards number in your phone. Ring them when the discussion stalls.

simon_g

Did you not look for the presence of a CD changer and the number of owners on the V5 before you bought it?

brownpants
    Free Member

I rushed into buying it and the young bloke in charge of the garage on the Sunday was pretty clueless. I didn’t see the V5 properly as I only got a little piece of it . I trusted the dealers advert on that one .
    I’ve got the car booked into Ford dealer so will go back to him with a report of running then .
    Cheers for views

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand Car Advert- NOT AS IS SAID’ is closed to new replies.