Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 2nd hand camper van quetions
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

After may years of company car driving this weekend I may be buying a 2nd hand camper van but I have several possibly stupid questions to ask.

I’m ok about the insurance.

But
    1) how do I find out how much the road tax (I know it doesn’t exist but you know what I mean) will be using just the registration?

2) how do I pay this without any paperwork before I collect the van?

3) what paperwork do I need to get with the van to make sure it’s 100% mine?

Thanks

muzz
    Free Member

1) various ways, but download ‘Total Car Check’s app and put the reg in there

2) either request the document reference number from the ‘green slip’ part of the logbook in advance from the person you are buying it from and tax it online beforehand (takes 2 mins), or take your phone and do this online before you drive car away

3) green slip and keys. The seller is legally required to send completed V5 (with your details on it) to Swansea.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

3) not any more. It can be completed online in front of you whilst you wait if you want for piece of mind.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Green slip is about being registered keeper not owner surely? Ownership is not really different to anything else you buy – you have proof of payment and probably some record of what you were paying for. If they don’t fill in the green slip pronto they’ll get your speeding tickets!

As for paying VED, well I thought that might be a bit of a struggle so I got my 2nd hand van delivered to my drive by the seller. In fact the insurance and VED only took minutes on-line (might have been a bit more awkward via a mobile phone on a garage forecourt though). Didn’t need any paperwork as such to do this (IIRC).

trailwagger
    Free Member

3. get a written receipt from them containing both yours and theres name and address, amount payed, vehicle description and registration.

V5 is registered keeper, not proof of ownership.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand camper van quetions’ is closed to new replies.