Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 2nd Gen Inbred, anyone running 1200mm forks?
  • topgunsteve
    Free Member

Interested to hear any feedback on the 2nd Gen inbred frame with 120mm forks for general trail riding. ANyone running 120mm upfront? what are the pro’s and con’s on the inbred?

I knwo the 2ndgen frame will take up to 120mm forks but is it really work it or is just better sticking with 100mm?

any feedback would be greatly received

I_Ache
    Free Member

do they make forks with 1.2m of travel?

2nd Gen Inbred, anyone running 1200mm forks?

wwaswas

2nd Gen Inbred, anyone running 1200mm forks

like this?

I_Ache
    Free Member

That must be closer to 2.1m

topgunsteve
    Free Member

ha haa… whoops interesting picture though

Saccades
    Free Member

What exactly do you mean by 2nd generation?

I had a mk3 inbred and I ran 125mm phaons on it with a 50mm Goliath stem. sometimes i’d remember to drop the travel to 95mm for steep climbs but in reality I left it at 125mm and never gave it a second thought.

it was white and it rode right nice.

stumpy01

I use 115mm Reba’s on my Inbred and it’s great.

topgunsteve
    Free Member

The new frames are dubbed 2nd Generation as they ‘officially’ can be used with 120mm having passed those saftey tests.

Was just wondering how it handled

Northwind

I think the geometry’s the same as on my mk1 Scandal, which handled just about OK at 120mm but wasn’t a patch on how well it all worked at 100mm. IMO it’s a 100mm bike that just happens to be strong enough to take a longer fork.

topgunsteve
    Free Member

Thanks northwind. Thats what I was thinking. Its for my bro’s bike.

The question we’re trying answer is whether its worth getting 100mm as it is designed for and getting perhaps the best from it or put some 120mm forks up front and give him some flexibility incase he wants to swap frames in the future. Looking at some Reba’s from merling, only £10 difference between the 100mm and the 120mm

Northwind

As long as it’s an all-travel one the 120mm will easily shorten to 100mm (and it’s possible the 100mm might lengthen to 100mm though I gather some OEM ones won’t)

TrentSteel
    Free Member

Just put some 130mm Menja’s (498mm axle to crown) on my Slot dropout inbred this week (its a pre-taper lock 2010 frame, what ever generation that is).

Surprisingly handling wise; it feels just as sharp as with the 440mm carbon fork it replaced, twisty singletrack was fine last night.

I do run a 60mm stem however, I reckon with a 100mm stem it wouldn’t feel too great and I think stem length is the factor to why peoples opinions differ on how inbreds handle with longer forks.

topgunsteve
    Free Member

Thanks trent steel, hadn’t considered a shorter stem but it makes sense.

Might go for the 120mm with a shorter stem and if if he doesn’t like it we can look at adding some spacers and reduce the travel to 100mm. At least there will be the option to upgrade the frame later and put the forks back to 120 if it goes that way.

Northwind

Mine had a 70mm stem on it btw.

chronos
    Free Member

Like Trent Steel I have a slot dropout pre taper lock and have run 120’s on it over the last couple of weeks with a short 50mm stem.. it rides great and I’ve not noticed the handling difference much over the sid 100’s they replaced.. except… steep uphill.. I’m wheelie’ing very easily..not good.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i have a slot drop inbred and run it with 100-130 Rev u-turns. I thought that i would wind them down for certain types of riding but they tend to stay at 130. The small 30mm difference makes it ‘feel’ really fast when they are wound down though!

takisawa2

120mm is the perfect travel for the Inbred. I also found that if wanting to run rigid, then 29er forks were spot on.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘2nd Gen Inbred, anyone running 1200mm forks?’ is closed to new replies.