Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 2nd fix nail guns, thoughts please
  • sig123
    Free Member

Unsure which to go for battery or compressor, not had much dealings with either of them so just wondering how you get on with them ?

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve a bostich 1st and 2 fix. No complaints for the price.
    My pal has recently bought a dewalt 1st fix (battery, no gas) and he reckons it’s good.

project
    Free Member

Got a low cost compressor one, needs electric power but works well, but its a chunky thing to carry around.But uses a smaller gun, as opposed to a large chunk of metal, battery or gas canister

maccruiskeen

If you’re needing to travel with your tools then cordless has the edge – the Dewalt is great, better still now that li-ion batteries give quicker/better charging. You can easily expect to get through a days work without changing a battery.

You can probably buy a decent air nailer and something like the tiny Senco PC1010 compressor which is wee and lightweight and most importantly……quiet.

Its so small that with an bit of butchering( cut the carry handle off) it can slot inside a sustainer style case along with a hose and a smaller gun (and 18g would fit a 16g a wouldn’t) and do all that for less than money the dewalt. But its still quite a bit of clutter to drag about. I only bought (another) small compressor as theres no real cordless options for narrow crown staples.

Portablity between jobs favours the dewalt and not having a hose is handy if you work in quite cluttered environments and being able to hang it on you belt is handy if you’re up and down ladders with it – but its a fairly hefty weight to actually work with. If your work is more static or bench based and higher volume then an air nailer is less fatiguing.

My dewalt has been on the go for about 7 years and the only attention it has required is replacing a couple of little bungees inside about 6 months ago – those and the hammer pin are the only real service items. By comparison I seem to have to bin small compressors after two to three years – feel slightly more optimistic about this senco though.

I’m not broadly a fan of dewalt stuff – but I’d chose their nailer over any of the battery powered competition and although more expensive to buy than paslode style gas finish nailers you soon save that cost with the nail packs

trail_rat
    Free Member

what use ? DIY or trade ?

My 2 pence is that even as a DIY user i wouldnt be without my 2nd fix at least doing all my facings etc , would rather not have my chop saw than my 2nd fix gun.

I bought a hitachi angled 2nd fix(paslode style- using paslode nails etc). Had it for 4 years. Bought it right at the start of my project house so its had a fair bit of use – all rooms have had new skirtings,door frames stairs clad , flooring etc and built a couple of sheds and a few workbenches.

What you working on and what length nails you needing to use? I recently bought an electric stapler (stop laughing) but for pinning things together with short pins (25mm) it works well and is much less agressive than the hitachi – but it depends what your working on of course. It wouldnt have been any good for 3/4 of my work but if your only working on little projects it might be ideal. I used it for stapling down Hardboard to the upstairs floor before underlay/carpets and it worked well , would not like to have done it with a hand stapler and Brads didnt have a big enough head to hold the board.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Paslode is the one you want to buy….my neighbour was the southern rep for them…..and lent me the whole range to try out…..you feel mighty knowing you can Bosch a nail though a RSJ….lol
    Their 2nd fix gun are a joy to hold!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

if your a tradie i agree with above TBH . When comparing my hitachis to my dads paslode there are significantly more metal parts in a paslode- results in a heavier hand feel.

The action of the safety tip is much lighter as well on the paslode.

the paslode will and has survived many a fall from the trusses.

pretty sure my hitachi would be in bits.

how ever for DIY its worth noting a pair of hitachis can be had for circa 400 quid. My dads paslodes were 400 quid each – and the price doesnt ever seem to come down- bit like isla bikes….. his first set many many moons ago were that price as well although the modern guns are much less clunky.

Like hilti guns The paslodes will sell for 175 quid if still working and paslode will service them.

The hitachis will likely be scrap.

Horses for courses .

maccruiskeen

The hitachis will likely be scrap.

Not sure if its the case with the finish nailers but certainly the Hitachi framing nailer is just the previous model of paslode internals wrapped in hitachi’s trademark bonkers product design. You’re getting a discount for older technology rather than build quality.

Paslodes are good for what they are- maybe a bit more powerful than cordless if you’re working with hardwoods but the work rate is slower than with cordless and much slower than with a compressor. Also compared to either they need a lot more looking after, can be upset by cold weather, or just get upset for no reason and the cost of nails / gas packs is much, much higher. Fine if someone else is paying for them but if you’re paying from them the cost gets a bit sore if you’ve got a lot of work to do. I can kind of see the point of the power for a framing nailer but I don’t see why you’d want gas power for a finish gun.

sig123
    Free Member

Thanks for your opinions guys, i am trade (carpenter) but my work varies a hell of a lot from 1st and 2nd fix to 360 machine driver to and bathrooms, I’m just in the process of upgrading my tools just purchased a T5 router and hinge, lock and work top jigs, next on the list is the nail gun Mostly going to be used on arc/skirting and stairs so which do you think would be best for this? Ta

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Mostly going to be used on arc/skirting and stairs so which do you think would be best for this?

Paslode second fix gun then imo. The DeWalt nail gun is much heavier which you will notice if you use it continuously throughout the day, it’s tiring and if you hook it on your trouser pocket it will pull your pants down!.

Compressed guns are fast and very reliable but they are a pain in the arse on site setting them up – dragging a compressor around and hoses and leads for the compressor. Compressors use a lot of power, you need 32amp cables and not too long otherwise you’ll get a voltage drop. They won’t work off small 110 site transformers. IME

I’ve never used a hitachi a gun so can’t comment on them.

I hate cleaning paslodes, they play up if you don’t. You can get cold weather gas now.

HTH

EDIT : Why do you want to use it on stairs btw? Do you mean for the spacers between the spindles?

maccruiskeen

Compressors use a lot of power, you need 32amp cables

how much? bloody hell – the 100ltr compressor I run my plasma cutter with doesn’t pull half that much power – but why would drag a 100kg of compressor around to fire brads. The one I use with a nailer with only weight 9kg and uses 4amp in 110v form

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If you are going to use a compressor for a second fix gun you might as well get one which also handles a first fix gun. sig123 does “a hell of a lot” of 1st fix apparently.

My compressor for my 1st fix gun only works with 32amp cables, and not too far from the transformer.

I have to say that my 1st fix compressed gun is ace, very fast, always fires, and can handle larger nails than a Paslode – 100mm ring shanks. It’s a pain in the arse to set up though, as are hoses when you clambering round on trusses or joists, so it very rarely gets used. You need a long run of work on level ground imo.

maccruiskeen

I think that compressor is much bigger than you’d need for any kind of nailer – they need pressure but not a lot of free air.

My compressor for my 1st fix gun only works with 32amp cables, and not too far from the transformer.

Theres a class of twin cylinder direct drive compressors – usually around 50litres that are neither fish nor fowl – too big to be conveniently portable, not really enough continuous air for proper workshop use – they seem to be specced in such a way that they’re just on the limit of 13amps (at 240v) in use so the surge when they start up blows fuses and trips. Smaller direct drive and bigger belt drive compressors both run happily with a lower draw and a gentler start up – as I say the big workshop compressor I use runs more than happily of a 13amp plug and has the plasma cutter taking continous 9 cfm for hours. You’d probably be better off trading yours in for something 25ltrs or less and having a smaller compressor and a smaller transformer to humpf around

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was sold the wrong compressor?

maccruiskeen

I was sold the wrong compressor?

Its right for something – but it seems a bit of overkill for nails

EDIT – see the edit above

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It came from Alpha Pneumatic btw

http://www.nailers.co.uk/

It looks a bit like the one on the right

And this is the 1st fix gun

http://www.nailers.co.uk/product/ace-k-34-framingdecking-nailer-50-100mm/

maccruiskeen

which one was it?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

See my edit.

maccruiskeen

ah – its the “V pump technology” – two cylinders running off one big motor – like t the type I was talking about above but without a tank (or what looks like a small tank inside the frame) that means the motor keeps kicking in frequently and its those start ups that are those motor / cylinder combos are the fuse-blowers – thats why you’re having to to use the big transformer. I had one with a big tank and it drove me up the wall as well.

I would have gone for a smaller motor/and a slightly bigger air receiver, just so the thing shuts up from time to time. That little 4amp senco I use gives nearly as much pressure as your and less than half the weight because it isn’t racing to fill the tank – but thats wisdom after the event (after several events actually)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

(or what looks like a small tank inside the frame) that means the motor keeps kicking in frequently and its those start ups that are those motor / cylinder combos are the fuse-blowers – thats why you’re having to to use the big transformer.

Exactly. But it’s necessary as it makes them highly portable on building sites. You can carry one with one hand up a ladder.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘2nd fix nail guns, thoughts please’ is closed to new replies.